Test drove an 04 auto GTO and an 05 5spd Mustang today

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Originally posted by: AMDZen
Originally posted by: OS
Originally posted by: fbrdphreak
You have no clue what your talking about. The Cobalt handles like complete sh!t compared to the Honda, which pulls a slalom just about on par with the new vette.
I'm gonna have to call BS on that. A slalom experience between a Civic and Corvette will be worlds different, even if you think the numbers are "close." :roll:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=108019

"Our Civic Si went to the test track the same day as a Corvette Z06, a Viper and a Ford GT, yet, it stayed with these high rollers in the slalom, running through the 600-foot cone course at almost 68 mph. That's faster than the Viper and only a hair behind the Corvette's performance. "

"7.2-second 0-60
15.1-second 1/4-mile
67.8-mph slalom speed
25.5 mpg over 1,500 miles "

there is some variation in edmunds own test data

Interesting. And BTW, I was comparing it with the base Vette (if you can call it base) and not the Z06. Maybe edmunds aren't such aweful drivers afterall :D
Either Edmunds isn't consistent or their slalom does favor different vehicles; the 2006 Z06 went slower than the 05 C6 apparently

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Dr...ullTests/articleId=103666/pageId=61312
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Dr...ullTests/articleId=107906/pageId=66438

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
Wow. Now we're on to the "it must have been beat on because Hondas are perfect" arguments. Show your true fanboy colors, guys. lol

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
Originally posted by: Ktulu
To be absolutely honest my gf's '01 Civic is already falling apart :(, but the engine is still top notch. :thumbsup:

That might have something to do with your gf

It's an economy car that gets her from a to b, not a work truck, there's no reason for it to be in the condition it is in. It has more squeaks and rattles then my dad '98 S10.

Seriously??

**Note to self, stay away from the 7th gen Civic.

My 6th gen 99' Si is a frickin workhorse. 80k miles and not a single thing has gone wrong, not a single rattle or anything else. Since I got it with 42k miles on it. I've replaced the battery once, the oil every 3-5k or so, the air filter twice, and had to fix the drivers side window a couple times when it fell off the track. Oh and its gone through about 3 sets of tires. Thats it. Seriously.

BTW, I drive it like I hate it. Even though I lubb it :D

Aftermath

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2003
It was always a talk about which was better, Civic Si or Cobalt SS - at least for me.

The thing is, as soon as the phrase "Civic Si" popped up you just took the ball and ran. It's not a talk or discussion or debate if you just pull stuff out of your ass, and make irrational and largely biased comments suppored by hand picked or anecdotal evidence while you plug your ears and tell everybody else how wrong they are.

That just makes you the troll that derailed the thread and turned it into a steaming pile of the endlessly rehased "Domestic vs. Import" debate that happens on ATOT at least once a week.

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
Originally posted by: DougK62
Wow. Now we're on to the "it must have been beat on because Hondas are perfect" arguments. Show your true fanboy colors, guys. lol

01 being the first year of the 7th gen, and being that I know nothing about the car - I don't doubt what he says. I research cars before I buy them and I was never into the 7th gen civic sicne I thought it was ugly. Never done a bit of research on their reliability, nor would I care. Honda has definetely made some crappy cars. Just not many

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
Originally posted by: Aftermath
It was always a talk about which was better, Civic Si or Cobalt SS - at least for me.

The thing is, as soon as the phrase "Civic Si" popped up you just took the ball and ran. It's not a talk or discussion or debate if you just pull stuff out of your ass, and make irrational and largely biased comments suppored by hand picked or anecdotal evidence while you plug your ears and tell everybody else how wrong they are.

That just makes you the troll that derailed the thread and turned it into a steaming pile of the endlessly rehased "Domestic vs. Import" debate that happens on ATOT at least once a week.

Then leave

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Originally posted by: canadageek
i think we're all forgetting one very important thing here. how easy is it to live with these cars? sure, a ZO6is damn fast (a few seconds behind ford GT, Porsche Carerra, and Mclaren SLR on the Nurburgring) but in real life driving, its a spine destroying monster. its an all-out performance car.
Actually no: the Z06 has a pretty compliant and comfortable suspension from what I read. I did check one out in person and there wasn't much resistance from the shocks when you push down on the wheel well - whatever that's worth.

Your point is valid, just not for the Z06 ;)

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Seriously??

My 6th gen 99' Si is a frickin workhorse. 80k miles and not a single thing has gone wrong, not a single rattle or anything else. Since I got it with 42k miles on it. I've replaced the battery once, the oil every 3-5k or so, the air filter twice, and had to fix the drivers side window a couple times when it fell off the track. Oh and its gone through about 3 sets of tires. Thats it. Seriously.

:shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked:
OMG news flash, he drives a Honda!!

:roll:

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
Originally posted by: fbrdphreak
Seriously??

:shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked:
OMG news flash, he drives a Honda!!

:roll:

Its not my only vehicle though. I currently only have 2 cars, and the other is a domestic.

I'll admit I'm biased, not really against domestic vehicles as a whole - just some.

My main thing is.....I think its funny that GM can take the formula for sport compacts that Japanese manufacturers have been using for years. And the people that hated everything Honda and made blanket statements about rice suddenly love the car that might as well have been engineered by a japanese company.

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
Originally posted by: canadageek
anyone else here a Clarkson fan? http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,12529-1235587,00.html :D

You should check out his new movie "Jeremy Clarkson: The Good, The Bad and the Ugly"

Its funny how he spends a huge part of it talking smack about american cars, and actually just Americans - using blanket statements. All of this coming from the guy that had to have one of the first Ford GT's shipped to his house.

Of course, who could blame him - after having all the troubles he had with his Ford GT, even if I once loved American cars I'd hate them. The thing lives up to its hype though, what better way to say your direct competition for Ferrari than making your car just as unreliable as one :D

Which, BTW - I still love Ferrari, reliable or not. If you can afford the car, you can afford the maintenance.

canadageek

Dec 28, 2004
true.....but if you can't ever drive more than two feet, you start hating it anyway....then you may as well buy a TVR, because you'll never get in the damn thing in the first place, and if you do, it'll outright kill you dead :p

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: SVT Cobra
Who are the idiots trying to make the Civic Si sound better than a Cobalt. Too bad Fanboys every single car magazine and reviewer has ranked the Cobalt ahead of the Si.

BTW OP, I'll drag race you any time, and go "wot" (wow whoever came u[ with that is retarded, it's called track driving), and kick your ass in any of your go "fast" machines. :D

WOT = wide open throttle. Did you think it was something else?

I have no doubt your terminator will terminate my fastmobiles in the quarter. I almost bought a used one in 04 before I saw the 05 goat.

Toastedlightly

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2004
To be absolutely honest my gf's '01 Civic is already falling apart :(, but the engine is still top notch. :thumbsup:

It's an economy car that gets her from a to b, not a work truck, there's no reason for it to be in the condition it is in. It has more squeaks and rattles then my dad '98 S10.

Seriously??

Thats how many cars run. My family currently has a beater that was bought w/ 90k miles twoish years ago. Was a Plymouth Sundance, 1993, 2.2L I4, 3 spd auto. That car now has 135k and is happily trudging along. Most cars last as long as you take car of them.

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
Originally posted by: Toastedlightly

Seriously??

Thats how many cars run. My family currently has a beater that was bought w/ 90k miles twoish years ago. Was a Plymouth Sundance, 1993, 2.2L I4, 3 spd auto. That car now has 135k and is happily trudging along. Most cars last as long as you take car of them.

Thats the thing, I wouldn't say I really take care of my Honda. Sure I do maintenance, but I also drive it into the ground. My roommate used to have a sundance. That thing was reliable as all hell. He ended up blowing the motor, but only because he was racing it (he had the turbo version, manual) and somehow the throttle got stuck. Before he could shut off the engine, the thing wound up to a few thousand rpm above redline and blew a few valves. Still, that was at almost 200k miles and it was always reliable.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Last time I checked this thread was about my experience with an 04 GTO and an 05 Mustang. I suppose the majority on this forum are sports compact fans.

Ktulu

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2000

Thats the thing, I wouldn't say I really take care of my Honda. Sure I do maintenance, but I also drive it into the ground. My roommate used to have a sundance. That thing was reliable as all hell. He ended up blowing the motor, but only because he was racing it (he had the turbo version, manual) and somehow the throttle got stuck. Before he could shut off the engine, the thing wound up to a few thousand rpm above redline and blew a few valves. Still, that was at almost 200k miles and it was always reliable.

So what makes you think the Cobalt won't be as reliable?

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Originally posted by: AdamK47 3DS
Last time I checked this thread was about my experience with an 04 GTO and an 05 Mustang. I suppose the majority on this forum are sports compact fans.
I like rice when its fried personally.

:D

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
Who are the idiots trying to make the Civic Si sound better than a Cobalt. Too bad Fanboys every single car magazine and reviewer has ranked the Cobalt ahead of the Si.

BTW OP, I'll drag race you any time, and go "wot" (wow whoever came u[ with that is retarded, it's called track driving), and kick your ass in any of your go "fast" machines. :D

I have no doubt your terminator will terminate my fastmobiles in the quarter. I almost bought a used one in 04 before I saw the 05 goat.

I know but I would never say WOT.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

I know but I would never say WOT.

Wot's wrong with WOT?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
cleaning my brains off the keyboard...me head assplodes.

OP knows all his answers.

I understand someone owning more than one vehicle (not counting other drivers in the family), like a pickup and a car, or a commuter and a weekend warrior, etc.

But when someone owns multiples of midlevel cars all stock or with countertop mods, I get confused.

Quicker is teh funnay though. I have been through about 90% stoplight drags that I wasn't even racing.