Test driving motorcycles

ballmode

Lifer
Aug 17, 2005
I wanna put my motorcycle up for sale, what would happen if somebody that rides it, wrecks it? What can I hold them to?

ValValline

Feb 18, 2005
They hand you your full asking or agreed on price in cash before you let them ride it.

If they wreck it, they have already bought it. If they decide they don't want it, you give them their money back.

Simple and painless.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
My policy for selling motorcycles is that I do not allow test rides. Too easy for someone to never come back and my insurance doesn't cover it. I would have to go through their insurance to file a claim.

The short answer is to simply not allow it.

ZV

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
check with your insurance company, but you are likely SOL

it is a risky situation

when i bought my first motorcycle, i didn't really know how to ride, but i wanted to test ride the bikes i was looking at , so i faked it. one of the first ones had "Chopper" style handle bars and i almost wrecked it trying to turn. i didn't buy that one

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Actually, I like Val's answer better. That's the way to do it, wish I'd thought of it.

ZV

markgm

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2001
If you have an endorsement and you show up on your bike I'll probably let you test ride it. Otherwise payment in full lets you ride it.

syee

Oct 6, 2001
Maybe tell them to hop on the back while you ride it if they're not willing to pony up the cash up front. Probably the closest thing to test driviving (riding?) without actually handing over the keys?

I guess there has to be a certain element of trust when selling a bike or a car. When I sold my car, I grabbed a copy of their license but let them go out on their own. I've been a buyer before and didn't appreciate the seller hovering over my back when I was test driving. In hindsight, it probably wasn't such a smart idea, but they did come back with my car. :D

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: syee
Maybe tell them to hop on the back while you ride it if they're not willing to pony up the cash up front. Probably the closest thing to test driviving (riding?) without actually handing over the keys?

I guess there has to be a certain element of trust when selling a bike or a car. When I sold my car, I grabbed a copy of their license but let them go out on their own. I've been a buyer before and didn't appreciate the seller hovering over my back when I was test driving. In hindsight, it probably wasn't such a smart idea, but they did come back with my car. :D

Just bear in mind that some insurance policies do not cover you if you intentionally give someone the keys, so if the car is stolen, you may not be able to recover even the insurance value.

ZV

ballmode

Lifer
Aug 17, 2005
I'm gonna call the insurance company and ask. I also won't let anybody without their license ride the bike.

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
Originally posted by: ValValline
They hand you your full asking or agreed on price in cash before you let them ride it.

If they wreck it, they have already bought it. If they decide they don't want it, you give them their money back.

Simple and painless.

If you're concerned but they want to ride it, this is a great way to go. I've never bought a bike without a test ride. I've sold both with and without allowing test rides.