Tesla Speeds up SuperCharger Network Deployment

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Well looks like Tesla is going to significantly expand the super-charger network over the next 12-months or so.

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/tesla-speeds-free-nationwide-charging-network-20-minute-183456360.html
Over time, Musk says he plans for the Superchargers to be powered mostly by solar panels, with large battery packs in the chargers that store spare energy and recharge vehicles. "These stations will operate even if the entire national grid goes down," Musk said. "Even if there's a zombie apocalypse, you'll still be able to travel using the Tesla Supercharging system."

Well that is good to know that even in the even of a Zombie Apocalypse the super charger network will still work.

While a full recharge at the Supercharger currently takes more than 40 minutes, Musk said Tesla would soon deploy a higher-power charging option that would restore three hours of driving time in 20 minutes, using a 120-kW charge — about 60 times more energy than a typical house uses in a day — while not harming the Model S battery packs.

120-kw charger. That is a lot of charging power. That will be in-sane if they can actually get that to work.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
three hours of driving time in 20 minutes
Now THAT is damn impressive. Early adopters are often willing to deal with incredible inconveniences, but three hours drive and then 20 minutes, while not a typical car's 4-6 with a three minute refill, is not at all terrible. It will be the only electric car that is usable for road trips.

I swore a couple years ago no more individual stock investing for me, but I do wish I had some TSLA :(

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Now THAT is damn impressive. Early adopters are often willing to deal with incredible inconveniences, but three hours drive and then 20 minutes, while not a typical car's 4-6 with a three minute refill, is not at all terrible. It will be the only electric car that is usable for road trips.

I swore a couple years ago no more individual stock investing for me, but I do wish I had some TSLA :(

This is the thing. I someone opened a fuel station and told people they would have to wait 20-30 mins and they would get free gas you would have a line around the block of people waiting to fill up. So for just waiting 20-30 mins you get free fuel with a Tesla Model S. Not a bad trade off IMHO.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
This is the thing. I someone opened a fuel station and told people they would have to wait 20-30 mins and they would get free gas you would have a line around the block of people waiting to fill up. So for just waiting 20-30 mins you get free fuel with a Tesla Model S. Not a bad trade off IMHO.
I forgot the free. I agree it's a nice perk. :) They won't be free forever, though I am guessing it's something like free to Model S owners and owners of other EVs pay.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
I forgot the free. I agree it's a nice perk. :) They won't be free forever, though I am guessing it's something like free to Model S owners and owners of other EVs pay.

The connection only works for Model S users. It is a custom plug and it is supposeed to be free forever for Tesla customers.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
That model X crossover is pretty sweet, but it's supposed to be priced like a Model S, around $72K for the 85KWH base model. Even free electricity for life wouldn't put that anywhere near affordable for most people.

Hell, I've bought seven cars/trucks and three motorcycles in my life, and all together they didn't add up to $72,400.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
That model X crossover is pretty sweet, but it's supposed to be priced like a Model S, around $72K for the 85KWH base model. Even free electricity for life wouldn't put that anywhere near affordable for most people.

Hell, I've bought seven cars/trucks and three motorcycles in my life, and all together they didn't add up to $72,400.

Their next generation vehicle is supposeed to be closer to $40k which I think they are looking at around 2017. This vehicle will also be able to use the Super Charger network. The Tesla Model S and X are high end luxury vehicles and are intended to compete in that category. Basically the strategy is to use the Luxury segment market to pay for the R&D costs on making a effective electric drive train that can then be produced for a mass market lower cost vehicle.

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Their next generation vehicle is supposeed to be closer to $40k which I think they are looking at around 2017. This vehicle will also be able to use the Super Charger network. The Tesla Model S and X are high end luxury vehicles and are intended to compete in that category. Basically the strategy is to use the Luxury segment market to pay for the R&D costs on making a effective electric drive train that can they be produced for a mass market lower cost vehicle.
I can't imagine me buying a $40K vehicle either, but it is a good business strategy for Tesla.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
I can't imagine me buying a $40K vehicle either, but it is a good business strategy for Tesla.

Not sure about me either. All my cars are over 10+ years old. However their is a good market of people willing to buy or lease a new $40k vehicle worldwide.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
$10 gasoline maybe you will :D

I heard on WSJ last night that after the model X Musk was saying within five years maybe a super car. No comment of a cheaper one, which contradicted what is being mentioned here and I had also heard earlier, that Tesla was going to come up with an affordable-for-the-masses(ish) type vehicle.

lagokc

Mar 27, 2013

Now if only Tesla could manage to get the price of electric motorcycles under $10k...

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Not sure about me either. All my cars are over 10+ years old. However their is a good market of people willing to buy or lease a new $40k vehicle worldwide.
True. I actually know a significant number of people whose automobiles cost something near what I paid for my house, although admittedly that was 20+ years ago so it's not really the same thing.

I heard on WSJ last night that after the model X Musk was saying within five years maybe a super car. No comment of a cheaper one, which contradicted what is being mentioned here and I had also heard earlier, that Tesla was going to come up with an affordable-for-the-masses(ish) type vehicle.
LOL True.

That may just be a reflection of how fast the technology is moving. Could be that an inexpensive but also practical masses-type mover will not be technologically feasible for the next five to ten years, so a supercar makes sense for Tesla.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Now if only Tesla could manage to get the price of electric motorcycles under $10k...
At one time I looked into the feasibility of converting a middleweight sport bike or cruiser/standard to electric, since I do use my Ninja exclusively as a commuter and I do like quiet bikes. A 35HP motor, which I estimated to be the smallest acceptable, was nearly $4,000. I paid $5,000 for my 650cc Ninja, brand new, so the value just wasn't there.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001

From what I have heard Tesla is still committed to a Mass Market $40k car. However I am sure that if the funds are there that they could do a Super Car also. Super Cars are kind of prestige thing for Major Car Manufacturers. Also I have heard that Tesla is considering doing a re designed roadster. Basically a second version of the original Tesla Roadster. Probably one where they control everything instead of buying the body from Lotus. The original Tesla roadster isn't compatible with the super charger network. So I could see them doing something in that same niche again. Especially if they could re-use the drive train setup for the Model S. The drive train for the Model S is essentially flat. I could see Tesla using this as a basis to add different chassis designs on top Sports Car, Sedan, SUV etc. You keep R&D costs and time to market down.

lagokc

Mar 27, 2013
At one time I looked into the feasibility of converting a middleweight sport bike or cruiser/standard to electric, since I do use my Ninja exclusively as a commuter and I do like quiet bikes. A 35HP motor, which I estimated to be the smallest acceptable, was nearly $4,000. I paid $5,000 for my 650cc Ninja, brand new, so the value just wasn't there.

What you pay for one 35hp motor is a lot more than a manufacture pays for 10,000 35hp motors / 10,000. To demonstrate this point, the plastic fairing on your bike retails for around $700 but I can guarantee you that's not what the manufacturer paid for it. :p

Converting a motorcycle to electric and a company producing electric motorcycles are two entirely different things.

Zero S already has electric motorcycles with acceptable performance but $13,995 only buys you a range of 103 miles. So they aren't quite ready to compete until they can get better battery technology and some economies of scale.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
What you pay for one 35hp motor is a lot more than a manufacture pays for 10,000 35hp motors / 10,000. To demonstrate this point, the plastic fairing on your bike retails for around $700 but I can guarantee you that's not what the manufacturer paid for it. :p

Converting a motorcycle to electric and a company producing electric motorcycles are two entirely different things.

Zero S already has electric motorcycles with acceptable performance but $13,995 only buys you a range of 103 miles. So they aren't quite ready to compete until they can get better battery technology and some economies of scale.
Quite true. I suspect that Tesla could bring a $20,000 electric superbike or a $10,000 small commuter to the market with a couple of years, just not at a profit margin that makes it worth doing.

Ventanni

Golden Member
Jul 25, 2011
I'd honestly have to say, I think Musk is a pretty smart man. If he can bring electric cars to the masses, he'd have done us all a favor.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
I'd honestly have to say, I think Musk is a pretty smart man. If he can bring electric cars to the masses, he'd have done us all a favor.

What is interesting is that for most people it would be just enough to bring electric cars to the masses. However Musk is also trying to build a fully reusable orbital rocket at the same time. If you could do both that would be incredible if he can pull it off.

lagokc

Mar 27, 2013
Quite true. I suspect that Tesla could bring a $20,000 electric superbike or a $10,000 small commuter to the market with a couple of years, just not at a profit margin that makes it worth doing.

Unfortunately commuter bikes aren't cool in the US. Elsewhere in the world yes but no the US.

Though Piaggio does have a 141mpg hybrid and going from that to full electric isn't saving much on fuel.

Emos

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2000
What is interesting is that for most people it would be just enough to bring electric cars to the masses. However Musk is also trying to build a fully reusable orbital rocket at the same time. If you could do both that would be incredible if he can pull it off.

I'm actually start to wonder if Elon Musk is going to become the Thomas Edison or Henry Ford of this era and be remembered in future history books as such. Still have a ways to go but I'm excited for the guy.

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001

Elon said that the FREE will be forever for Tesla S customers.

here

8:50

Last edited: