Tesla Roadster Video

clickynext

Platinum Member
Dec 24, 2004
Cool. Definitely a nice looking car, but is it another one that just plugs into the wall? And also, does using electricity really reduce overall emissions by that much? Yes, your car no longer releases CO2, but the process of generating that electricity in the first place most likely does, right? (depending on where you live/what energy generation methods are used)

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
hey, guess where the electricity that powers your car comes from? if you're in the US, there's something like a ~50% chance that it's from COAL! COAL!!!!!!!

the majority of CO2 emissions come from heavy industry, only 20% of CO2 emissions are from passenger vehicles

Pikachu

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Screw global warming, the thing to appreciate about that puppy is the POWER! Let's hear about the batteries for that thing. Probably a mega expensive lithium ion array. Won't be long till the do-it-yourselfers start stringing some cheap, deep cycle Walmart batteries together for the same end.

clickynext

Platinum Member
Dec 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Pikachu
Screw global warming, the thing to appreciate about that puppy is the POWER! Let's hear about the batteries for that thing. Probably a mega expensive lithium ion array. Won't be long till the do-it-yourselfers start stringing some cheap, deep cycle Walmart batteries together for the same end.

ghetto AA battery array. :D

Screw electric power, how about a car that runs on food??

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: clickynext

ghetto AA battery array. :D

Screw electric power, how about a car that runs on food??

No then the fat people would be pissed at us!

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
Really frigging cool. I rarely feel this way about a car. There's just something about a non-toylike electric car that make it seem so elegant and evolved. Maybe it's the silence or maybe it's because electric motors are just so damn cool.

Playmaker

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000

Eh, I was speaking tongue-in-cheek, but in actuality you should be comparing the $150k X-1 to a ~$120k Lingenfelter, not the $70k stock model. Then we'll really see how the Vette's 9.5 ETs compare to the X-1's 11.1s, while still having a real windshield and street tires.

Keep in mind I'm not to diminish the X-1's achievements, just trying to raise the bar ;)

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001

Psssh. Id plug mine into the outlet on the side of my neighbors garage.

Pikachu

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
When the battery power becomes common, converted wimp-mobiles will be owning all gasoline powered comers. When those batteries show up, I'll be on board the electric train!

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
Originally posted by: Evadman
Reminds me of an Elise.

i believe the lotus team helped design it (body that is).

Originally posted by: Playmaker

Eh, I was speaking tongue-in-cheek, but in actuality you should be comparing the $150k X-1 to a ~$120k Lingenfelter, not the $70k stock model. Then we'll really see how the Vette's 9.5 ETs compare to the X-1's 11.1s, while still having a real windshield and street tires.

Keep in mind I'm not to diminish the X-1's achievements, just trying to raise the bar ;)

an electric ariel atom!??!?!

Pikachu

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
It was a proof of concept, and that body/chassis was a good fit. Bottom line is, electric motors are the shlt, but the battery technology is the current Achilles heel. Nothing new there.

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
hey, guess where the electricity that powers your car comes from? if you're in the US, there's something like a ~50% chance that it's from COAL! COAL!!!!!!!

the majority of CO2 emissions come from heavy industry, only 20% of CO2 emissions are from passenger vehicles

You can thank the Environmental wackos for that too since they won't allow Nuclear plants to be built.

Playmaker

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Originally posted by: randomlinh
Originally posted by: Evadman
Reminds me of an Elise.

i believe the lotus team helped design it (body that is).

Originally posted by: Playmaker

an electric ariel atom!??!?!

:confused:

Playmaker

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Doesn't take much to confuse people around here, does it?

With a painfully obvious observation like that followed by rampant punctuation, I have no idea what what he's trying to communicate. Enlighten me, oh wise one :disgust:

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Originally posted by: Chadder007

You can thank the Environmental wackos for that too since they won't allow Nuclear plants to be built.

Coal Gasification would be a nice stopgap for using up the coal that we have, while putting out 90% less pollutants.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Originally posted by: clickynext
Cool. Definitely a nice looking car, but is it another one that just plugs into the wall? And also, does using electricity really reduce overall emissions by that much? Yes, your car no longer releases CO2, but the process of generating that electricity in the first place most likely does, right? (depending on where you live/what energy generation methods are used)
Not to mention the overall cost...producing it, energy used in its lifespan, energy used in its disposal when it's worn out.

Actually, I read recently that when you consider all those factors, a Hummer actually is more environmentally friendly than any hybrid car.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002

well the point is to stop being dependent on the asshats in the middle east. we are the saudi arabia of coal after all. plus, how hot is it gonna be in the middle east once we warm the earth? the upside to global warming?