Tesla plunges 250ft off cliff. All 4 passengers survived

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

the highway patrol said the Tesla's high-tech driving features did not contribute to the crash.
So it looks like a suicide attempt by the driver (Dad)? :(

• Wow
Reactions: stargazr

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Calling it a suicide seems to downplay attempted murder of 3 passengers (assuming they are his wife and kids). It's a miracle that they survived with relatively minor injuries.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Wow that's a miracle that they survived such a drop.

If this was in fact a suicide attempt it reminds me a lot of a situation a bit over a year ago where someone at my work drove his car in a lake with his 2 kids inside. Unfortunately, no one survived. Long story short he had Huntington disease so he was basically slowly dying, he had recently lost his wife to cancer and if I recall he lost either both or one of his parents to Huntington as well. Just overall his life was going downhill and not much hope. We assume he didn't want to leave his kids behind so he took them with him. Just a terrible and sad situation all around.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Live in the area where this happened (drove by the whole accident scene on the way to get groceries and run errands no less).

Before the Tom Lantos tunnel was built this section of road was (and still sort of is) called Devil's Slide and it was one of the most dangerous stretches of highway in the US. Every freaking year a bunch of people (usually drunk but not always) would get the road shutdown when they'd go over the cliff and drop into the ocean below, then get smashed against the seawall. Naturally it was a near 100% fatality rate.

Driving by the scene it was really weird because none of the guard rails or wall work or whathaveyou was damaged and my wife and I were trying to work out how the hell someone would have gone off the edge there unless they were driving where they weren't supposed to be or were standing on the cliff face for an instagram shot (people die from this stupidity all the time too).

Well, turns out this guy aimed for the gap and tried to kill everyone in the car.

Imagine being alive, relatively unharmed, and conscious for hours in a car with three other people you just tried to kill. AWKWARD.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Screenshot 2023-01-05 at 10-15-18 Father Deliberately Drove Car Off Cliff Authorities Say Afte...png

Dharmesh A. Patel was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and child abuse after his Tesla careened off a treacherous cliff in Northern California with him, his wife and two children inside, the authorities said.

Screenshot 2023-01-05 at 10-20-18 Father Who Drove Tesla Off Calif. Cliff Is a Radiologist Pas...png

Patel's Tesla turned into an unrecognizable, mangled piece of metal after falling at least 250 feet off the side of the coastal road known as Devil's Slide on Monday. Miraculously, he and his family survived the crash.
Patel and his wife suffered non-life-threatening injuries while his children emerged from the crash unharmed.
"This is shocking," said Newmark. "My heart goes out to the family. And I know everybody on this block will come out and support everybody in the Patel family to get through this and do the best we can to ask for anything — we'll give it."

https://www.cbsnews.com/losangeles/...rder-after-allegedly-driving-tesla-off-cliff/ (with photos and video)

Last edited:

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Parents weren't secured, children wore seatblets. All survived. o_O

Last edited:

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Yeah, with my luck if i wanted to kill my entire family by driving my car off a cliff, I'd screw it up too. And all would survive. Then, I'd still have to put up with my crappy family AND.... with no more Tesla. Drat the luck :p
U need a deeper cliff, fella.

OIF.TDAiYRvmjvCazqqMquVLjQ.jpg

Last edited: