Tesla Model S Plaid

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I need to quit watching these Plaid videos. I went from not really interested into fighting with myself not to order one. The urge is strong and Tesla makes it so easy to order one via simple click of a button...

I must resist and wait for the Cybertruck. I must resit and wait for the 4680 cells. I must resist and wait for the Roadster... I must resist...

Reactions: Kaido and Elfear

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
What do you think about the yoke? Looks like a lot of muscle-memory remapping:

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
What do you think about the yoke? Looks like a lot of muscle-memory remapping:
My feelings haven't changed about the yoke. I thought it was cool as hell when I first saw it, and still think so. And while everyone here was talking crap and trashing the yoke saying how it's going to suck, how the yoke was stupid, etc., I said I'll wait and see but I thought I could get used to it. And now it's out and the early reports are pretty positive on the yoke. Sure the haters are still out there and there are definitely some negatives to the yoke wheel. But is it bad as people who were bad mouthing it? Doubtful. Haters are going to hate, and there are lot of Tesla haters.

It's not just the steering that changed with the yoke but stalks and other things are gone as well. So it will definitely be adjustment, but I think it will be fun. If given the option of yoke or the round wheel, I will take the yoke with the Plaid. Same with the Cybertruck.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
My feelings haven't changed about the yoke. I thought it was cool as hell when I first saw it, and still think so. And while everyone here was talking crap and trashing the yoke saying how it's going to suck, how the yoke was stupid, etc., I said I'll wait and see but I thought I could get used to it. And now it's out and the early reports are pretty positive on the yoke. Sure the haters are still out there and there are definitely some negatives to the yoke wheel. But is it bad as people who were bad mouthing it? Doubtful. Haters are going to hate, and there are lot of Tesla haters.

It's not just the steering that changed with the yoke but stalks and other things are gone as well. So it will definitely be adjustment, but I think it will be fun. If given the option of yoke or the round wheel, I will take the yoke with the Plaid. Same with the Cybertruck.

The Plaid with the yoke is the only production Tesla I haven't personally driven yet (hopefully soon!). I'll save my opinion until I get some city & highway hands-on time with it. I wonder if the Cybertruck will be offered with ONLY the yoke...

heymrdj

Diamond Member
May 28, 2007
Those of us that have to actually drive the car because the car won’t drive itself in their area understand how silly it is trying to turn a yoke 720 degrees. There’s a requirement your hands must be at certain positions in order to complete full turn arounds. For the folks that live in areas the car is smart enough to negotiate in, it could be fun.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Those of us that have to actually drive the car because the car won’t drive itself in their area understand how silly it is trying to turn a yoke 720 degrees. There’s a requirement your hands must be at certain positions in order to complete full turn arounds. For the folks that live in areas the car is smart enough to negotiate in, it could be fun.

I think like Marques Brownlee said, the biggest issue is really the stupid touch buttons on the steering wheel. I think Ford did an outstanding job with a physical knob in the middle of the touchscreen on their Mach-E & F-150 Lightning EV's, plus having the standard suite of tactile pushbuttons on the steering wheel. Conceptually, I understand why they did a touch-button horn, but in practice, it's SO DUMB! Literally no reason to do it, and it makes it WORSE in practice! Horns are often a kneejerk reaction thing - I use it probably weekly on the highway when I see two cars about to merge into the same lane into each other, and there's no way I'd get there in time if I had to finger-hunt for a little touch button!

Based on the design of the yoke, I think most people could eventually get used to it. It's pretty wide. What I don't understand is why they don't have variable steering input, like having a full 90-degree turn to vertical wouldn't max out the wheels, especially since it's a drive-by-wire design. So that way you'd never have to fully turn the wheel in a full circle, but rather just a quarter of a full turn to full max out the turning radius. Maybe in a future software update. From what I understand, it's currently 900 degrees, or 2.5 turns for max lock. I dunno how you're supposed to have any fun in the snow with it haha!

Last edited: