Tesla Cybertruck

Page 46 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
there are a few marketing photos where the schmuck truck kinda sorta looks good.

I'd have to see it in person & drive it to make a decision. I still have my pre-order in. The smooshed front nose is not my favorite, nor is the short squat. I dunno. We'll see lol.

Reactions: bbhaag

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
I'd have to see it in person & drive it to make a decision. I still have my pre-order in. The smooshed front nose is not my favorite, nor is the short squat. I dunno. We'll see lol.
This 100%. I thought the same thing about Rivians until I saw one in person and then got to take a ride in one. Seeing one in person completely changed my mind about them.

Maybe the CT will be the same or maybe not but I'm going to reserve judgement until I see one in person and see one that is NOT hand built like these supposed 40 coming out in a few weeks.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I'm hoping to see one in person here. I'm also curious how well they do long term in normal winter conditions and also with all the salt they put on the roads now. So far all the ones I've seen are in perfect summer conditions.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
The Rivian actually looked like it could look good just from photos.

Plus now the Schmuck Truck autopilot will automatically give itself points for running over Jews.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Here's a pic of one posted to r/boston. Gotta love that stainless steel finish... :p

csn1gzgd4b1c1.jpg

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The Cybertruck is two years too late.

Had it come out mid 2021, at the start to the height of the EV boom, it would've been received much better.

People were willing to look past the hideousness in order to throw their money into the new EV fad. People's perspectives were so skewed that this was somehow seen as desirable. Despite being all around terrible, it had the uniqueness that would allow owners to "be seen". It would have certainly impressed coworkers and neighbors with similar "in the now" mindset.

We can all breath a sigh of relief knowing a correction in attitude has taken place. There is a glimmer of hope that maybe mankind is not entirely doomed.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001

Had it come out mid 2021, at the start to the height of the EV boom, it would've been received much better.

People were willing to look past the hideousness in order to throw their money into the new EV fad. People's perspectives were so skewed that this was somehow seen as desirable. Despite being all around terrible, it had the uniqueness that would allow owners to "be seen". It would have certainly impressed coworkers and neighbors with similar "in the now" mindset.

We can all breath a sigh of relief knowing a correction in attitude has taken place. There is a glimmer of hope that maybe mankind is not entirely doomed.
As ugly and pointless as the Cyber Truck is, it will still sell like hotcakes.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
As ugly and pointless as the Cyber Truck is, it will still sell like hotcakes.
That's the trillion dollar question. Elon has all but said they cannot produce the CyberTruck in significant quantities anytime soon, which is a striking admission considering they've been at this game for a long time (by BEV standards). More important than supply is we don't truly know what the demand curve will be like. The "good ole boys" who buy Fords and Chevys isn't exactly a captive audience for Teslas, now that their hero DJT has convinced them that EVs are too woke for America.

Having said that, the theory that 2021 was the last time to launch CyberTruck is baloney. Excess, overpriced inventory on dealer lots doesn't mean BEV sales have already plateaued. Tesla itself is already a larger automaker today than it was 2 years ago. The price war is good for consumers, and should help grow EV sales overall.

Reactions: Zorba

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

Definitely too late, being first to market with an EV truck + access to the supercharger network I 100% would have bought one.

Now I have a Rivian, the supercharger network is about to be accessible by all of the EV truck competition, and Elon has gone batshit crazy.

Cybertruck is the one EV reservation I haven’t yet canceled, but I have basically zero interest now.

Viper GTS

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
See plenty of Rivian around SF area. They look good. I have seen the CT about 5 times now. Seems to get uglier everytime I see it.
Yeah, I think for a rich man's truck Rivian looks good. CT... umm I don't see that growing on me.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
It looks really cheap and nasty in that photo. Especially considering it's pretty much a new car.
It may not be that new though.......all the CT photos you see are pre production units with build dates ranging from a few months to several years old. These units may or may not be using materials that make it into final production models.

It also doesn't help that most of the pics I've seen of the CT in the wild are awful. I've seen pics of bigfoot and UFOs that are better than most of the CT pics in this thread. I mean c'mon bro even the pic you quoted looks like it was taken with an iPhone from 2010 at a distance of 150 meters.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
It may not be that new though.......all the CT photos you see are pre production units with build dates ranging from a few months to several years old. These units may or may not be using materials that make it into final production models.

It also doesn't help that most of the pics I've seen of the CT in the wild are awful. I've seen pics of bigfoot and UFOs that are better than most of the CT pics in this thread. I mean c'mon bro even the pic you quoted looks like it was taken with an iPhone from 2010 at a distance of 150 meters.
I get that the picture quality isn't great but I doubt that the car would look better with more details!
Also even if it's not brand new it must be pretty new and still looks awful for a nearly new car!

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
I like to think these are all fugly test mules for the power & drive train - We will all wake up tomorrow to a unibody truck body that looks like a blockier R1T plopped onto the Cybertruck frame assembly and move on with our lives...

I've seen 2 in person now - Worse in person than in pics.