Terrible MKB control options in Witcher 2,3

Mamere782

Oct 10, 2017
IMO, Witcher series KBM controls are terrible. Witcher 1 was ok...I could rebind any key to whatever. I prefer arrow buttons for movement and right side of keyboard for other controls. I do not understand why CDPR insists on limiting keyboard/mouse rebindings, though later editions do allow arrow keys and some limited KB rebindings.Every game I've played (TES, Mass effect, Wolfenstein, Far cry. and many more) do not have such restrictions. Also, some combos are not at all intuitive....I guess clunky is the word. One question...is it possible to bind side mouse buttons(4,5) or scroll function of MMB??? It seems so odd that older games allow these functions while Witcher 2, 3 do not. A pet peeve of mine.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
While I have not played W3 yet, I assume its quite like Witcher 2 from what I've seen with SoulsBorn Like combat (Dodge/Block/Parry/Riposte) and that kind of thing never seems to work well on a KB+M.

Finally was able to "get" Witcher 2 after trying to play through Dark Souls with a XBOX Wireless Controller.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
i don't recall the controls being a problem, but i've also never played any game with a controller.
'tis what 'tis, melord... i guess.

Last edited:

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I actually like the controls in Witcher 2 and 3, I hated them in The Witcher 1 actually. I really liked how if you screwed up in W2, you could die to anyone, so you had to treat every enemy with respect, similar to Dark Souls.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
IMO, Witcher series KBM controls are terrible. Witcher 1 was ok...I could rebind any key to whatever. I prefer arrow buttons for movement and right side of keyboard for other controls. I do not understand why CDPR insists on limiting keyboard/mouse rebindings, though later editions do allow arrow keys and some limited KB rebindings.Every game I've played (TES, Mass effect, Wolfenstein, Far cry. and many more) do not have such restrictions. Also, some combos are not at all intuitive....I guess clunky is the word. One question...is it possible to bind side mouse buttons(4,5) or scroll function of MMB??? It seems so odd that older games allow these functions while Witcher 2, 3 do not. A pet peeve of mine.
I was able to rebind the M4 and M5 buttons but if I remember right, I had to set up a new profile for my mouse (Logitech G502) to load when I loaded The Witcher 3 which would just turn my M4 and M5 buttons into the bracket keys. It was the only way, but shortly after running through White Orchard, I realized the only advantage of using a keyboard was having a bigger hotbar and going through the menu isn't all that difficult with a controller. Since then, I haven't used a keyboard and mouse but if your mouse has a utility that allows you to set custom profiles, it's something to look into.

Dragon's Dogma was another one that didn't want to play well with custom keybindings (since I use TFGH for movement), so again, I had to make my peripherals mimic other keys. Took some time, but it worked flawlessly once I got everything sorted.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
I really liked Witcher 1, including controls.

Witcher 2 was a great game with HORRIBLE controls. It got to the point where I ended up just watching a let's play so I could get the story, 'cuz I want going to play it any more.

With Witcher 3 I just bit the bullet and played with a controller start to finish.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I've always felt action games like this were meant to be played with a controller. It just feels better to me, but I grew up in the NES/SNES era and my family didn't get a computer until I was 14, so action games have always felt more natural with a controller for me. Plus, since there's nothing that needs the precision of a mouse in W3, the only reason to use a keyboard and mouse is just for the expanded hotbar. Now, if this game had a better use for the crossbow other than just bringing down flying enemies (it's auto-aim anyways), then I could see a use, but there's really nothing that requires precision. Besides, I'd much rather go through the game with a controller just for the fact that I pretty much used the Witcher Senses the vast majority of my time playing and I'd hate to play on a keyboard while keeping one key pressed most of the time.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I've always felt action games like this were meant to be played with a controller. It just feels better to me
I've come to the same conclusion over the years. In the early days of my Steam account, everything was MKB. This includes Witcher 1, which I really liked.

But over time, I've learned that actions games just feel better with my xbox controller. I played Witcher 2, Tomb Raider, Assassin's Creed, etc. games with the controller.

Coincidentally, I'm currently playing Deus Ex Human Revolution again. First playthrough was MKB. This one is controller and I'm liking it MUCH better.

Next up for me is to try an ARPG with a controller. Titan's Quest, Torchlight, Divine Divinity were all MKB. But I think I'm going to give Grim Dawn a go using my xbox controller.

Perhaps it's an age thing? In the early days, I didn't mind sitting up straight at the desk using MKB for hours at a time. Now.....I've got a reclining chair and much prefer leaning back, kicking up my feet, and using my controller. And having a beer or glass of wine on hand....never used to do that either. Yeah, it's probably an age thing.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Next up for me is to try an ARPG with a controller. Titan's Quest, Torchlight, Divine Divinity were all MKB. But I think I'm going to give Grim Dawn a go using my xbox controller.
Personally, I would advise against using a controller for ARPGs, especially with those you mentioned. Crate did an outstanding job with controller support for Grim Dawn and even helped with Titan Quest AE, but the targeting is absolute garbage and you'll be lucky if you can last on the harder bosses (especially in Grim Dawn on Ultimate). The aiming precision and quick casting needed to survive cannot be found on a controller for ARPGs. For Divinity Original Sin (not sure if Divine Divinity is the same thing), you're going to need the massive hotbars.

Mamere782

Oct 10, 2017
I guess my main gripe is the convoluted assignment of KB keys. I never used a gamepad, yet found every FPS game I've played so far (for 20 odd years) easy to rebind KB and many stock settings were obvious ie scroll fwd bk for next weapon, spell, or whatever, RMB fire LMB use alt weapon, spell or...
Anyway, with gaming mouse I can reset keys using scroll, and side buttons. Don't get me wrong, I love these games but cannot understand why in the 21st century with a supposedly PC friendly game, the controls seem to use minimal MB and limited KB functions.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I played it through complete once each with KBM and XBOX controller, and both were fine. ...the game feels better with a gamepad though.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I guess my main gripe is the convoluted assignment of KB keys. I never used a gamepad, yet found every FPS game I've played so far (for 20 odd years) easy to rebind KB and many stock settings were obvious ie scroll fwd bk for next weapon, spell, or whatever, RMB fire LMB use alt weapon, spell or...
Anyway, with gaming mouse I can reset keys using scroll, and side buttons. Don't get me wrong, I love these games but cannot understand why in the 21st century with a supposedly PC friendly game, the controls seem to use minimal MB and limited KB functions.

I never realized that keybindings were limited with W3 which, yes, I think is a terrible oversight because there is absolutely no reason that should be a thing for any PC game made in the last 10, 15 years. It's sort of unconscionable.

However, I thought the default was fine because it is more in line with what you tend to expect, at least ergonomically with the prevailing standard in games today. I definitely hate loading up an older game from the early-late nineties that has the strangest keybindings, like jump = [ key or inventory = ~ or some weird crap like that, lol.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I have put almost 300 hours into Witcher 3, never had an issue with keyboard controls.

I understand the OP likes to use the arrow keys, but that simply won't work. You need to be able to push multiple keys at once, and there are no other keys around the arrow keys on most keyboards. I honestly cannot think of a way that you could do combat with just the arrow keys and a mouse. Even with a multi-button mouse, you can't push three buttons at once.

I really don't see it as an oversight. The number of people that move their keyboard a foot over to the left to use the arrow keys is very small. Plus, if you just cannot live with mouse and keyboard, you can always plug in an XBox controller. Although this is definitely not as goods as keyboard/mouse for me.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I started both Witcher 2 and 3 using the kb/mouse, well because you are supposed to being part of the PCMR. It ruined my opinion of 2 and I never finished it. With 3, I hated the game for it's combat and could never get past an early area. Switched over to the controller and it became way too easy. Turned up the difficulty and loved the game. Playing it from start to end twice plus the DLC. Even played it a third time on the PS4 later on just to earn all the trophies.

I'm somewhat in a similar situation with Vahalla but for some reason using BT with the XB1 controller causes horrible stutter. Aiming the bow is much better with the bow, but close combat just feels wonky. Need to mess with the bindings, but the defaults of using both Q to block and ALT to dodge just doesn't feel natural while trying to move using WASD. Not a fan of lifting my finger off a movement key to use a shield while trying to move.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I started both Witcher 2 and 3 using the kb/mouse, well because you are supposed to being part of the PCMR. It ruined my opinion of 2 and I never finished it. With 3, I hated the game for it's combat and could never get past an early area. Switched over to the controller and it became way too easy. Turned up the difficulty and loved the game. Playing it from start to end twice plus the DLC. Even played it a third time on the PS4 later on just to earn all the trophies.

I'm somewhat in a similar situation with Vahalla but for some reason using BT with the XB1 controller causes horrible stutter. Aiming the bow is much better with the bow, but close combat just feels wonky. Need to mess with the bindings, but the defaults of using both Q to block and ALT to dodge just doesn't feel natural while trying to move using WASD. Not a fan of lifting my finger off a movement key to use a shield while trying to move.

games with dodge and block and "Action skill," like maybe mele in a shooter, immediately go to mouse button bindings for me. I just can't use shift/control/alt for any of that stuff, especially if you need to spend a lot of time with skills and other keys next to and above wsad.

I like at least 3 thumb buttons on mice for this purpose.

Reactions: Mamere782

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
games with dodge and block and "Action skill," like maybe mele in a shooter, immediately go to mouse button bindings for me. I just can't use shift/control/alt for any of that stuff, especially if you need to spend a lot of time with skills and other keys next to and above wsad.

I agree. Even having played instruments like the piano and guitar, my fingers have a heck of a time hitting ctr/alt/shift.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
I actually like the controls in Witcher 2 and 3, I hated them in The Witcher 1 actually. I really liked how if you screwed up in W2, you could die to anyone, so you had to treat every enemy with respect, similar to Dark Souls.
Exactly. The game engine in W1 was a nightmare, and I hated the combat. W2 I thought combat was OK, for story and combat, my favorite was W3.

Reactions: Martimus

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Exactly. The game engine in W1 was a nightmare, and I hated the combat. W2 I thought combat was OK, for story and combat, my favorite was W3.

Witcher 1 actually uses the Baldur's Gate 2 engine. It was never designed for a third person game. I actually went back and played Witcher 1 again last year, and once I got used to the controls, I was fine with it. It actually took some adapting when I went and played Witcher 2 immediately after it. And then again when I moved on to Witcher 3.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Witcher 1 actually uses the Baldur's Gate 2 engine. It was never designed for a third person game. I actually went back and played Witcher 1 again last year, and once I got used to the controls, I was fine with it. It actually took some adapting when I went and played Witcher 2 immediately after it. And then again when I moved on to Witcher 3.
It was actually the Neverwinter Nights engine. It did not translate well for that game.

Reactions: ondma

Mamere782

Oct 10, 2017

So true...gaming mouse the way to go...no problrms at all with action and quen sign almost a cheat, especially on higher levels. (W2)

Mamere782

Oct 10, 2017
I have put almost 300 hours into Witcher 3, never had an issue with keyboard controls.

I understand the OP likes to use the arrow keys, but that simply won't work. You need to be able to push multiple keys at once, and there are no other keys around the arrow keys on most keyboards. I honestly cannot think of a way that you could do combat with just the arrow keys and a mouse. Even with a multi-button mouse, you can't push three buttons at once.

I really don't see it as an oversight. The number of people that move their keyboard a foot over to the left to use the arrow keys is very small. Plus, if you just cannot live with mouse and keyboard, you can always plug in an XBox controller. Although this is definitely not as goods as keyboard/mouse for me.
Always used arrow keys for every FPS game I've played with no problems at all as long as I can rebind most of the game keys which I've done. I just find keyboard options in W2 awkward and non intuitive to say the least. However, no problems using a gaming mouse and side buttons.

Reactions: Stuka87

Mamere782

Oct 10, 2017

All good with gaming mouse and side buttons.