Terraria: A 2D Minecraft Clone

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
Ill grab this later this week looks great. I mean I was addicted to Minecraft months back it literally sucked me in. I havent played minecraft in months though just got bored with it, this game might give me something in return.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
To be fair, its not really a minecraft clone.

Minecraft is like legos, and this is like what survival mode minecraft should have been.

Similar, but I think the difference is substantial.

Both are great.

kamikazekyle

Feb 23, 2007
Played it for a few hours so far. Pretty fun, though certainly not a Minecraft clone. It's more of an adventure game with crafting and mining built in. There's a large chunk of things that simply can't be crafted or mined, and are instead obtained via dungeon/treasure hunting. Hell, it even has boss fights. Certainly a LOT more emphasis on combat than in Minecraft.

But yea, both Minecraft and Terreria are great games. One is more for building, the other is more for adventuring. I can honestly see that people bored with the lack of things to do besides build in Minecraft would probably like Terreria more since it's more action oriented.

CrystalBay

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2002
My Nephew,(15), seems to play this more than his beloved Fable3 !

That tells me something...

buzzsaw13

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2004
I've been playing a lot in the last 2 days and I've definitely been enjoying myself a lot more than minecraft. Boss battles are really intense, though they don't seem anywhere remotely possible to solo. Getting to the underworld is also pretty intense as there are things that shoot fireballs through walls and there are so many things that can just knock you into lava and you pretty much instantly die.

The higher tier items help a lot but don't make the game super easy. This game is pretty well thought out and I hope the developer actually gives a crap about this game and keeps it updated unlike Notch with minecraft.

yuppiejr

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2002
Really NOT a Minecraft clone though they share some basic concepts... Less similar than say, Battlefield and Call of Duty. I just started playing Terraria yesterday and have a few hundred hours in Minecraft... They are both solid indy efforts and share some basic principals but are otherwise unique experiences. I'll keep both installed and play both depending on what I'm looking for, an immersive "world sim" in Minecraft or a more fast-paced 2D sidescroller with some of the same building/crafting mechanics to customize the experience.

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006
According to steam, I already put 31 hours into it. It's a mixture of Minecraft + Metroid/Castlevania. There's a ton of content in the game and well worth the $10.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i've been playing it. its fun i guess.

the monster spawns are f-ing ridiculous though. give me a chance to do something other than kill shit...

like minecraft, ores that you need to make stuff are far and few between ime.

i hate the burrowing worms things, bane of my existence!!!

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I hate Terraria, and I hate the developer as well. Both are bad, IMO. :/

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Love the game, totally wasnt going to buy it but ive logged over 20 hours in the last 2 days. didnt even sleep friday night. Those burrowing worms are a real PITA though.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
So I guess you just hate fun things then? How many hours do you have in Halo? :D

Uh, I played the first one a few times, and the second and third once. They were all mediocre as far as shooters go, but good for console shooters.

Not that this has to do with anything. I don't know why you bring up halo. Insinuating I'm the type of gamer who enjoys the simple things like halo on the 360 all the time? Far from it. I'm mostly a PC gamer, and enjoy great titles, mainstream of niche.

I love fun, innovative titles. I don't find Terraria to be either of those, and the developer just seems bad mannered. It's just my opinion I'm throwing out there.

Miklebud

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2002
Anyone have a Multiplayer server up? I just picked it up and think it'd be more fun playing Co-Op compared to Single Player.

trigun500

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2006
Just got this game last night. I'm enjoying it. I personally prefer this over minecraft. However, I haven't played minecraft to the extent most people have.

For $10 you really can't go wrong imo.