Terminator 1 or Terminator 2

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
Originally posted by: XabanakFanatik
Originally posted by: biggestmuff
Originally posted by: mrSHEiK124
In this day and age, they're both horrible looking by today's SFX standards.

O RLY?

T2 still looks impressive, nearly 17 years later. Definitely one of my favorite movies.

Ya RLY. There are quite a few mistakes visual flaws with the film. Something a 100 Million dollar blockbuster shouldn't have.

Off the top of my head:
Apparent usage of rear projection screens during the opening future war sequence; rear projection screens' frames are visible.
Stunt driver's head visible in the rear deck of the backwards driver car used to escape from the mental hospital.
Obvious stunt stand-in (Peter Kent) when Arnie jumps the Fatboy off the street and into the sewage canal.
Horrible fake Arnie prop in the SWAT shootout scene when leaving Cyberdyne.

I bet you only notice those because they've been pointed out to you.

You'd be wrong. I've seen that movie dozens of times over the years.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
accidentally voted t1:(
t1 would be pretty unknown without t2.
i bet a great many people watched t2 first. i certainly did.

ranmaniac

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
I like both movies, although the violence level in T1 makes T2 look like a PG movie, which makes the Terminator in T1 a hell of a lot more terrifying than the one in T-2.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006
T2 just because its probably my most watched movie of all time

T1 does have its moments, I agree that the part where he chases Sarah around is creepy as hell, I couldnt watch it when I was younger... I dont know exactly why, it has something to do with the choppy animation + robot chasing human, really really creepy

oddyager

Diamond Member
May 21, 2005

Why would you compare SFX of today and something made in the 90s?

However I do find it hilarious that the SFX they used in T3 was actually worse than in T2 (more specifically the scene where Arnold puts his head back on). :)

Ricochet

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Terminator 1 was more impressive to me considering the budget. One of my favorite scene is Reese's dream sequence of the future where a non-Arnold Terminator got through the resistance's checkpoint and shoot up their hideout.

Terminator 2 of course gets the nod for everyone's favorite action film. It had a much higher budget, improved sfx, and improved sound (the original was in mono given the budget constraint). One of the best opening sequence of any movie..period. Better plot? Maybe, but it's a continuation of the 1st movie. It's more of an elaboration of the 1st. Better acting? With Edward Furlong's acting, I'd have to say no. Also the tone of the movie seems less serious than the 1st with a bit of humor added in as if appealing to the MTV crowd. For me that's a minus. Overall it is the best Terminator movie.

Whoever said Terminator 3 was better than the first, you might as well shout out "I have really really bad taste in movies." If T3 was a separate movie from the Terminator time line I'd be more forgiving. As it is, T3 is the sh!ttiest addition to a trilogy ever. Whoever made this travesty spat in the face of the first two films. Didn't even pay heed to the underlying central theme the 1st two films emphasize, that the future is not set: what John Conner made Reese recite to Sarah, what Sarah was engraving on the picnic table, what young John Conner keeps reciting in the 2nd film "there is no fate but what we make for ourselves." I'm not even going into the whole cheesiness about the role of the virus and the internet.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
accidentally voted t1:(
t1 would be pretty unknown without t2.
i bet a great many people watched t2 first. i certainly did.

No big deal. The votes outweighs your mistake 10 fold.

Randum

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2004
T2 is far superior, and i enjoyed t3 but i wouldnt say it was the worst trilogy ever...bout about ep1-3 of star wars....damn you george lucas...and looks like Indiana Jones is going to suffer a similar fate....

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
Originally posted by: oddyager

Why would you compare SFX of today and something made in the 90s?

However I do find it hilarious that the SFX they used in T3 was actually worse than in T2 (more specifically the scene where Arnold puts his head back on). :)

Because the FX are laughable, but back then it was awesome looking.

Arnie cutting his chest open in T3 looked bad, too.

ed21x

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2001
T2 is timeless, while T1 just looks old. Everything just feels more realistic and less cheesy in t2.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I'd rate the Terminator series this way:

T2 > T1 > T3 > raw sewage > Sarah Connor Chronicles (shudder)

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
T1 - Gritty, Realistic ( as far as you can with time travel and robots ), Violent
T2 - Shiny / Clean, Entertaining ( has some humor )
T3 - Final $$$ grab

I really enjoy both differently. Although I like the new CG stuff in T2, it still doesn't capture the feel of well made miniatures/models like in T1.

ChAoTiCpInOy

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
For some reason I found T2 with the whole mental hospital and everything too weird. I think T1 was better.

Sep 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Chryso
There is more to a movie than just effects. T1 was new and fresh. T2 was just the same thing rehashed with more bells and whistles.

T1 is a sci fi classic.
T2 is a sci-fi/action classic.
T3 was an action movie.

It's hard to say with T1/T2 though. T2 by itself was one of the best movies to come out when it did (and I mean years before and after its release). T1 though has its place in history, especially when you are talking sci fi.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Both have a subpar storyline

One has better graphics (Terminator 2)

Being the first movie does not automatically make it better (Empire Strikes Back > A New Hope, most famous example - some people also believe Aliens > Alien)

Thus, the logical conclusion is Terminator 2. The only thing you can base any judgement on for either of these movies would have to be the special effects, since all other factors are approximately equal (decent soundtrack, an okay story, cool robot coming to kill the protagonist, etc.)