Terminator 1 or Terminator 2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
T1 was the best stand alone film. T2 was a fun action thrill ride with just tons of awesome scenes. But the whole "The terminator is my dad thing" was kind of stupid if you're trying to take the movie seriously. The special effects were just bad ass, the action awesome. And of course anything that involves robots destroying shit is great.

However, there are flaws with the whole premise of T2 and it can be a bit to zany at times. T1 had a much lower budget and came out during a time when special effects were a lot more limited. But its story was cohesive and the skinless terminator climax was perfect.

Also, T1 Linda Hamilton is way hotter then skinny T2 Linda Hamilton. Even with the terrible 80s hair.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: TecHNooB
T2 is the best :) Reminds me of cali (when I used to live there).
Reminds you of Cali eh? Remind me to never move there... I don't really want to fight terminators.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

MUCH better story and acting, along with a poignant message. The effects and action are just really sweet icing on a huge, tasty cake.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: clamum
Reminds you of Cali eh? Remind me to never move there... I don't really want to fight terminators.
SHIT!
YOU SHOULD SEE WHO THEY ELECTED GOVENOR!
:D

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: Chryso
There is more to a movie than just effects. T1 was new and fresh. T2 was just the same thing rehashed with more bells and whistles.

T2 had a deeper story, more speculative. T1 was pure suspense and terror, all of the good stuff.

I like T2 the most, but T1 is all you really need in a good sci-fi flick.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I've gotten really sick of T2. I mean it was a great movie all around but the re-play value is :thumbsdown:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: shortylickens
Originally posted by: clamum
SHIT!
YOU SHOULD SEE WHO THEY ELECTED GOVENOR!
:D

:shocked:

You have been Governated!!

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
T2

T1 has a really "dirty-eighties" feel to it that I don't care for... I hate the eighties. T2 has a modern enough look that still seems 'relevant'. Oh and both Arnie and T-1000 are great in that movie.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
T2 was GREAT but damn, you can't beat how Arnold looked in T1. He was just an absolute freakin' MONSTER! And how the hell can you top punching a hole through a guy's stomach? That was just great. :)

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Depends on mood... T2 was more of an over blown action flix.... T1 was much more suspenseful... hell I still jump at some of those scenes even though I have saw them fourty times...

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: biggestmuff
In this day and age, they're both horrible looking by today's SFX standards.

O RLY?

T2 still looks impressive, nearly 17 years later. Definitely one of my favorite movies.

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
Originally posted by: mrSHEiK124

O RLY?

T2 still looks impressive, nearly 17 years later. Definitely one of my favorite movies.

Ya RLY. There are quite a few mistakes visual flaws with the film. Something a 100 Million dollar blockbuster shouldn't have.

Off the top of my head:
Apparent usage of rear projection screens during the opening future war sequence; rear projection screens' frames are visible.
Stunt driver's head visible in the rear deck of the backwards driver car used to escape from the mental hospital.
Obvious stunt stand-in (Peter Kent) when Arnie jumps the Fatboy off the street and into the sewage canal.
Horrible fake Arnie prop in the SWAT shootout scene when leaving Cyberdyne.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Originally posted by: mrSHEiK124

O RLY?

Ya RLY. There are quite a few mistakes visual flaws with the film. Something a 100 Million dollar blockbuster shouldn't have.

Off the top of my head:
Apparent usage of rear projection screens during the opening future war sequence; rear projection screens' frames are visible.
Stunt driver's head visible in the rear deck of the backwards driver car used to escape from the mental hospital.
Obvious stunt stand-in (Peter Kent) when Arnie jumps the Fatboy off the street and into the sewage canal.
Horrible fake Arnie prop in the SWAT shootout scene when leaving Cyberdyne.

I bet you only notice those because they've been pointed out to you.