TERA

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
There were plenty of other reasons I disliked the game, however, art style and direction are a huge factor in any game I play. If I hate the way something looks, why would I want to spend hours playing it?

Well there is a difference between saying that you dislike the art style of the game, and pointing to one small thing (the Elin in your post) and saying that is reason enough to not like a game.

Last edited:

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Does this game come with a free month to play? I might try it out while I wait for gw2 to come out.

I can see why people wouldn't like the Elin, even though I like anime I think stuff like that is pretty weird, but I'd just play a different race. Also,they kind of remind me of the female dwarves from Lineage 2.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Plenty of other things in a lot of games and I won't try those games either. I am sure there are plenty of great things in the Twilight series, however, I am of the persuasion that a vampire whose only weakness is they sparkle in the sun is stupid. Therefore, I don't read those books or watch those movies.

Well no, twilight is a steaming heaping pile of horse shit no matter how you look at it. So not an appropriate comparison. But if you don't like the art style then fair enough.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Why would I pay a subscription for yet another MMO...when GW2 does everything and more without a subscription?

:hmm:

Now, I like that this appears to have more action-oriented combat...but I suppose the main thing is that my time will be 100% invested elsewhere, and paying much less in the end. And every time I play these so-called novel action combat games, it's fun for a little while, then just gets stale. The game then becomes the same as everything else (Amalur, though not an MMO, of course)

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
Well I grabbed it (OP) and must say its alot of the same.. but the combat ( 75% of all MMORPG) is new and different enough that Im quite enjoying it. That is the ONLY reason i can see anybody picking this game up.. if they want something slighlty new in the MMORPG field ... sorry but every game since EQ (or meridain 59) came out and took RPG to MMOnline has been the same.. grind/quest and bosses.. you can change it up with graphics but a fireball or a bullet.. same thing,.. This game actually tries to punch it up with some new ideas on combat.. if they will be good long term? no idea.. but $40 and a free month.. why not.. every new 360/Ps3 game is $60 and many are 8-20 hours long..

I must admit I am not a fan of Furries or Pedo class stuff.. the Asians developers sure like um.. as almost every game they have has um. But my dislike is the same as I prefre coke to pepsi...who cares if somebody else like um... its a game.. This game does cover all the bases..

human- for the boring
Devil- man- for the im all goth and evil and cool
Furry- man- ???? sorry dont know motivation for this
child- man - Pedo's and girls like the CUTE.. why does a 10 year old girl looking race have full adult chest?
Dragon-man- for the i cant play a non brute class
Elf-man- the males look like boy toys, and the girls are barbies for those who want unrealitic beauty.

All females armour is made of about 2 square inchs and lots of string or chain to hold it on... Males if you look carefull have eye slits.. i think they are somewhere in all that steel.. cant see anything of the actual person. so Like all RPG's :)

Last edited:

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I can't remember the last fantasy game where female armor wasn't a metal thong.

Except dark souls, but that game doesn't really give a shit about character looks...

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
I can't remember the last fantasy game where female armor wasn't a metal thong.

Except dark souls, but that game doesn't really give a shit about character looks...
off topic.. Loved Demons Souls.. and actually bought Dark, but havent looked at it yet, just to much going on (and Im a pc guy so gamepads bug me).. how is it in diffuclty compred to the first one? I was never a "wow this is hard " guy on the game, I liked its 'really up to you" difficlutly.. is it about the same or ramped up a bit?

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
off topic.. Loved Demons Souls.. and actually bought Dark, but havent looked at it yet, just to much going on (and Im a pc guy so gamepads bug me).. how is it in diffuclty compred to the first one? I was never a "wow this is hard " guy on the game, I liked its 'really up to you" difficlutly.. is it about the same or ramped up a bit?

A bit harder. The game is just as unforgiving with 1-2 shot kills and its myriad of environmental hazards. Stages filled with ledges and narrow walkways plus a ton of invasions. Nice thing is they removed the world tendencies so you don't have to worry about being online and fucking up your PWWT or PBWT.

The game is much more sword-and-boardy though. They removed MP as well, and every spell has a fixed amount of casts.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Well I decided to pick this up yesterday, after trying a few class I decided to go with a slayer to start out with. Overall it's been pretty fun so far, the questing is pretty basic fare but when you go to fight stuff it's a lot more fun so it makes basic kill quests much more enjoyable.

The art style is pretty generic korean stuff which is alright with me but I liked to style of GW2 a lot more. Anyways I figure I'll play for at least the free month and then see from there, if anything I could play it up until GW2 comes out and then play that.

hapylol

Apr 27, 2012
Tera is definitely fun if you want to get away from the combat of WoW. It is definitely not as polished as WoW and does not have a lot of endgame content.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Can someone give me a quick explanation of the difference between PvP/PvE servers? Are the pvp servers totally open pvp?

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
Tera is definitely fun if you want to get away from the combat of WoW. It is definitely not as polished as WoW and does not have a lot of endgame content.

Huh? it's been out for over a year in Korea, there is plenty to do towards end game and more is being added. I also haven't really seen anywhere where it's not "polished"

Can someone give me a quick explanation of the difference between PvP/PvE servers? Are the pvp servers totally open pvp?

I don't know how PvE servers work exactly. But on a PvP server if a person declares themselves and outlaw, with the ability, they can attack any person he wants to so long as they aren't in a "protected" area like a city and some outposts. Also when they go outlaw they flag themselves so anybody else can attack them as well.

If you flag yourself and start attacking unflagged people you gain Infamy, the lower lvl the person is to you the more Infamy you gain. If you have Infamy you cannot unflag, so you are open to attack by anyone. Also if you kill someone that is flagged as an outlaw you do not accrue Infamy, you just get to kill them. Infamy deteriorates over time (slowly) and by killing monsters that are at your level.

So if you are a dick and gank ppl 10 lvls below you, you will get 100's of infamy and either have to wait hours or go kill a bunch of stuff and hope other people don't decide to kill you.

hooflung

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2004
I am enjoying it so far. The combat is noteworthy and feels like a balance between God of War and the Playstation 3 exclusive Demons Souls (and therefor Dark Souls as well).

The art direction is definately for otaku. The game world is almost forgettable because the questing doesn't really mesh with the really beautiful world. I am only lvl 9 though so I cannot say about the later game content.

Overall, it definitely has its pros and cons. I think the combat alone is worth any rough edges. Also, you can play with the 360 controller and I hear its good. I've just been too lazy to hook mine up yet and I like my Naga.

Phobic9

Golden Member
Apr 6, 2001
I've already canceled my account. Why I decided to buy this game, I'll never know but I definitely wasted my money. If you remove the so called action combat, this game is just like every other Korean MMO out there. I was never a fan of the art style (never have been) so I couldnt get comfortable with the character designs.

People kept saying to stick it out until 20, but why should I have to play 20 levels of crap to get to the "good" part? The questing system is so mind-numbingly monotonous I just couldn't take it anymore. I'm so tired of killing boars in video games. Leave the boars alone!

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I guess MMO's aren't for you then because every single MMO will have some sort of questing system.

Anyway, I'm having a blast. Just hit level 50.

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
Just hit lvl 32, still having a blast with this game and am loving the combat. Superbly well made, zero crashes or technical issues on my end. Pretty damn impressive, all things considered.

Granted, it's not the end all, be all. It has flaws, but it's the only MMO that's kept me playing past level 10 and the reason is the combat. It's awesome.

Phobic9

Golden Member
Apr 6, 2001
I guess MMO's aren't for you then because every single MMO will have some sort of questing system.

Anyway, I'm having a blast. Just hit level 50.

I've been playing MMOs since the beginning. Maybe I'm just burned out but I really did enjoy the Guild Wars 2 beta weekend. Maybe it spoiled me. *shrug*

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
I'm really enjoying the game. Although it does get frustrating at times because I'm used to other MMO's following the same mechanics of aggro/threat.

When fighting a BAM's in a group as a Mystic and dropping one single Mote for healing, the mob will aggro on me and I will die. Even if the mob is already 50% dead. Apparently certain BAM's don't like you dropping healing nuggets.

I find it funny that the mob will run at me, trip me as I'm running so I fall on my back, then take a big windup with their claw and .... Dead Mystic.

I also really like the PVP system. Well designed to prevent some of the typical ganking. I've only been ganked maybe 3 times since I started playing a week ago, and that is not a huge amount at all.

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Man, talk about difficulty ramp up. I ran both Akasha's Hideout and GL (forget the full name) last night and some of the bosses in there are no joke. I'd like to think that I'm a competent player but I *really* had to pay attention and look intensely at the boss actions every single time they did something or I was dead meat. Especially with leather armor and low hps as a slayer. The casual MMO noob will have a very hard time doing much of anything.

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
I've been playing MMOs since the beginning. Maybe I'm just burned out but I really did enjoy the Guild Wars 2 beta weekend. Maybe it spoiled me. *shrug*

Yea the questing is nothing new and is pretty much, "go here kill something, and bring back X while you're out there as well." It's the combat, challenge and the pvp that makes it very fun later on. Also the first 11 lvls are more or less an extended tutorial.

I'm really enjoying the game. Although it does get frustrating at times because I'm used to other MMO's following the same mechanics of aggro/threat.

When fighting a BAM's in a group as a Mystic and dropping one single Mote for healing, the mob will aggro on me and I will die. Even if the mob is already 50% dead. Apparently certain BAM's don't like you dropping healing nuggets.

I find it funny that the mob will run at me, trip me as I'm running so I fall on my back, then take a big windup with their claw and .... Dead Mystic.

I also really like the PVP system. Well designed to prevent some of the typical ganking. I've only been ganked maybe 3 times since I started playing a week ago, and that is not a huge amount at all.

This is because BAM's and bosses in general consider successful heals as crits on their aggro table, and crits cause lots of aggro. Generally healers will attack the boss when not healing because it actually brings down their aggro. (not sure why this works, it's just what i've read)

Man, talk about difficulty ramp up. I ran both Akasha's Hideout and GL (forget the full name) last night and some of the bosses in there are no joke. I'd like to think that I'm a competent player but I *really* had to pay attention and look intensely at the boss actions every single time they did something or I was dead meat. Especially with leather armor and low hps as a slayer. The casual MMO noob will have a very hard time doing much of anything.

Yea it gets much more difficult going forward, I just got done soloing all of it on my warrior. Also fyi, Slayers wear plate, warriors wear leather.

What servers are you guys on? PvP or PvE? Done any pvp or been laying low?

My guild is currently at war with another. My friend and I were on our lower lvl characters and a group of 4 people declared guild war on us (their entire guild is always red and flagged for us for 24 hrs, and the game keeps score of kills) and ganked my friend while we were fighting a BAM. I somehow got into a city. Then in under 5min literally, my entire guild had shown up on their high levels to protect us. Other guys ran, so we kept adding them to our friends lists to see where they were but they hid in town and then talked shit since they had 2 kills (my friend died twice) to our 0.

Later on, like 5 hours later, one of our guildies spotted one of them questing, killed him 6 times. Then they showed up to fight as a group and lost horribly. By the end of the night the score was Us:51 Them:2 (guild leaders are worth 10 kills in GvG battles) Their guild leader essentially gave up because we wouldn't let them quest since they had started the war by attacking our low levels. He apologized and we agreed not to hunt them anymore. He also didn't know that our guild has over 60+ members and his is only 13 ppl.

Was a pretty awesome time being on vent during that craziness. We had ppl in every channel watching for them until we could even the score.

Last edited:

pathos

Aug 12, 2009
Yea it gets much more difficult going forward, I just got done soloing all of it on my warrior. Also fyi, Slayers wear plate, warriors wear leather.

Hrm, I think slayers wear leather too, iirc. Berserkers on the other hand, wear plate.

It's something like

Plate - Lancers, Berserkers
Leather - Warrior, Slayer, Archer
Cloth - Sorceror, Priest, Mystic

I'm still low level, since I've spent the entire time since preorder trying out different character classes, trying to decide on a main. Which, isn't anything unusual for me, mind you. I currently have 6 level 21's, and 2 level 22's (which makes all the classes, btw)

I found that the difficulty spike for me was at level 21, just after opening up the first dungeon. Before that time, you didn't really need any skill before that point, and every class was pretty fun to play.

After that point though, you really need to start leaning your class, and understanding how the game works, or you're going to be in for quite a few deaths, or downtime waiting for yourself to heal up.

And, the spike includes just your normal mobs, as well as the addition of the Bam fights and boss mobs. Just a regular fight with 2 mobs, or 1 regular mobs and alot of minions can really wear you down quick if you just wade in without learning how to play.

Strangely enough, I found the first couple of bam fights the game throws at you to be the easiest part of the game after the difficulty spike, just time consuming. But, thats just 2 mobs. And I haven't messed with the optional 1's yet, perhaps they are harder.

I did take me 2 attempts with a Berserker to figure out how to do those 2 fights. Mostly, I just ran around the mob, and every time he stopped to attack, I'd stop directly behind him and take a couple swings. If he was doing a longer attack, then I'd do one of my charged attacks for more damage. In the end, I think I took damage 2 times the entire fight.

I guess it helped that even if you werent in their line of sight, he'd still stop every so often to attack. If they never stopped till they got a bead on you, then I'd actually have to sit and learn their attack patterns better so i could use the block ability to lessen damage.

Oh, as far as the character design goes, I've always been fond of Korean designs in general, so for the most part I like how the characters look. I'm not really a fan of the Elin, but that just means I wont bother making one of those. I dont stand around staring at other peoples avatars either, so it doesn't really affect me.

Well, I dont have any intention of making one of the critters either :D