Question Tentative build for mid- to upper mid-range gaming build. Feedback? ~$1000-1300 budget (including monitor).

catalinashenanigans

Apr 14, 2020
Building my first rig. Been playing off of laptops for the past decade so this will be quite the upgrade. Looking forward to it.

Will be for gaming (no streaming) and other mundane tasks (e.g., web browsing, Microsoft Office, etc.). Mostly play competitive games (FPS' and MOBAs) as well as some (A)RPGs. Nothing super demanding but it would be great if I have the option to play some more intensive games in the future (maybe Cyberpunk 2077?). Not a big single player guy. Some stuff I've played in the past: Apex Legends, Realm Royale, PUBG, FN, CS:GO, Day of Defeat: Source, Overwatch, R6S, Insurgency, Killing Floor, Payday 2, World of Tanks, Path of Exile, Grim Dawn, Diablo 3, Borderlands 2, Warframe, Heroes of the Storm, Dota 2. Lots more but that's a pretty good snapshot. Games I'm interested in playing now (that I haven't been able to yet) include COD: Warzone, Valorant, and Borderlands 3. Maybe Cyberpunk 2077.

Would really like to give 144hz gaming a try but other than that I'm not entirely sure what performance specs I'm looking for. Best framerate possible at a reasonable price? Don't mind upgrading specific parts in the future but it would be great if what I build initially lasts a few years.

Budget is $1000-1300 (including monitor). I will need to buy a monitor as well. Any recommendations? Will be buying in US. Tower is currently around $1000 so would be willing to spend up to $300 on monitor. Have heard good things about the ASUS VG249Q.

Here's a quick build I threw together using PCPartPicker and Logical Increments. Let me know what you think! Open to any and all ideas. Definitely not married to any of these parts yet. If I can drop this price a bit that'd be great but don't mind spending my max if it's worth it.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Pretty decent build, PSU appears out of stock though. If it wouldn't break the budget, go for a name-brand 550W-650W 80Plus Gold PSU. Should probably be around $120.