Tennis rackets

KillerCharlie

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
So I'm taking an exercise sports science class (tennis) my last semester and I need a racket. I've never really played much before. Any suggestions? I'll probably buy one at a local sports store.

How do I know which kind to pick?

MasterAndCommander

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2004
Wilson/Head/Prince - you shouldn't have to spend more than $40 for a graphite recreational frame. Get the biggest grip size, and heaviest racquet you feel comfortable with.

KillerCharlie

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
I guess only one of the sports stores (a small one) has tennis rackets, other than Wal-Mart and Target... I'll have to see what's available.

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
I got a Prince racket for like $20 at Modells. You get what you pay for though, so if you're only gonna use it for 1 semester you're good.

TripleAAA

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2002
I worked for the largest tennis equipment company in the world for three years and I'm a Master Racquet Technician (basically a pro stringer). I can tell you pretty much anything you want to know about a tennis racquet.

As for the basics and what has already been mentioned, if you aren't planning on sticking with the sport for very long, just go with a cheapo model you can find at any sporting goods store. Don't get the $20, but something in the $50-75 range will serve you just fine.

If you want to get more technical with it or plan on improving a lot, we can get MUCH more technical than that.

habib89

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2001
if you plan on sticking to the game, it's definately worth it to spend the extra money.. but if you just wanna try it out, or just plan to play for one semester, just get a cheapo model.. like tripleAAA said, spend about $50 or so..

the most important thing is to get the right grip size, cause otherwise you'll be constantly adjusting your grip, and you won't hit consistantly.. and it'll be hard on your hands

KillerCharlie

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
Okay so I'm going to check out some sports stores tomorrow. I won't be able to demo any rackets before buying unfortunately. What size should I go for? Standard length (27")? Oversize (110 sq. in.)? 10 oz weight?

Thanks

Brackis

Banned
Nov 14, 2004
Get something clearance, last years models, store closing, used or online.
Basic rule: If it comes strung new, it is crap.

Anything above crap is good enough for recreational play. Have fun!

KillerCharlie

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
How about a racket ($35) that's 10 oz, 110 in^2, and 3 pts head light? It's the Wilson US Open racket (composite and Ti). Do these metrics sound about right for me? It's $35, but I don't want to put much more down on a racket when I don't even know if I'm going to continue playing after this semester. If I like it, I'll plunk down $80+ on a racket, but for now I just want something that gets by.

There's also a Head Ti.Tornado that's 10.4oz, 110^2, and 6 pts head light (also $35).

My other options are a Head Ti Evolution racket that has a "supersize" head (I'm assuming greater than 110, which is probably too much) and a Wilson "Federer" that's 110, 1pt HL, 10 oz, and Titanium. ($30 and $25, respectively)

What do you guys think?

There were a bunch of rackets for $60 - Head Ti.S2, S5, Laser, and Prince TT Scream, TT Bandit. Some of them claimed to be marked as "$120 off," but like I said, I don't want to put too much money down (over $40) on something I might not want to keep playing.

Ricemarine

Lifer
Sep 10, 2004
Ehh... Just get one that suits you best...

But all cheap-o rackets under $50 are power rackets, and have no/not much control at all. As others stated, if you ain't going to play longer than a semester, its best not to buy an expensive racket.

From those choices you put, I'd say go for the Triple Threat Bandit from Prince if its less than $50. Since you're a starter, you might like a midplus (100) or an oversize (110) string bed over a mid (95).

LtPage1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
Originally posted by: TripleAAA
I worked for the largest tennis equipment company in the world for three years and I'm a Master Racquet Technician (basically a pro stringer). I can tell you pretty much anything you want to know about a tennis racquet.

As for the basics and what has already been mentioned, if you aren't planning on sticking with the sport for very long, just go with a cheapo model you can find at any sporting goods store. Don't get the $20, but something in the $50-75 range will serve you just fine.

If you want to get more technical with it or plan on improving a lot, we can get MUCH more technical than that.

I say listen to this guy.

gejiwo9234

Jun 14, 2020
So I'm taking an exercise sports science class (tennis) my last semester and I need a racket. I've never really played much before. Any suggestions? I'll probably buy one at a local sports store.

How do I know which kind to pick?
I think you should wilson hammer 5.3 racquet that would be the best and cheap option for a beginners like you and me.:expressionless: