tennis question: Is it normal for your wrist to feel pain/soreness playing tennis?

jinduy

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
i know i shouldn't be flicking my wrist and minimizing its movement to none if possible when hitting the ball, but there's times im sure i move it and it causes some soreness and slight pain at times. is this something my wrist will get used to over time or someone i need to worry more about?

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
I tore a tendon playing tennis. Got wrist pain, ignored wrist pain, tore tendon. YMMV and mine may have been a freak thing, but I won't automatically say it's nothing to worry about.

compnovice

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2005
I does feel sore sometimes but it should not be a daily thing...Do you use a heavy racket?

tailes151

Mar 3, 2006
it's because you're flicking your wrist trying to put more topspin on the ball. Used to happen to me a couple years ago and took months to get rid of. Make sure you're getting your topspin from hitting the ball low (with knees bent) and coming up over and through the ball as you make contact. You should rarely be using your wrist, unless youre going for a topper lob or a rather extreme angle. Or youre on the run.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: tailes151
it's because you're flicking your wrist trying to put more topspin on the ball. Used to happen to me a couple years ago and took months to get rid of. Make sure you're getting your topspin from hitting the ball low (with knees bent) and coming up over and through the ball as you make contact. You should rarely be using your wrist, unless youre going for a topper lob or a rather extreme angle. Or youre on the run.

That about sums it up. You think your wrist hurts now, keep using poor form. Your elbow will make you forget you have a wrist:)
I suggest getting a lesson or two, it will do wonders to both your game and your longevity.

jinduy

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002

i'm taking a class right now and i'm working on minimizing wrist action... but u pretty much hit the nail on the dagger with that bolded part...

i usually break my form and flick my wrist when i'm going to stretch out for a ball that's getting away from me with a backhand and vice versa when i'm extending for a ball with my forehand with the ball nearly out of reach.

soydios

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2006
If you're using a 1-handed backhand (like I do, oops) then all the force of the shot is placed on your thumb. If you're rolling your wrist trying to get topspin, though, you need to change your form, so the swing is the source of the topspin. Swing low-to-high, bend your knees, and follow through.

tailes151

Mar 3, 2006
Originally posted by: soydios
If you're using a 1-handed backhand (like I do, oops) then all the force of the shot is placed on your thumb. If you're rolling your wrist trying to get topspin, though, you need to change your form, so the swing is the source of the topspin. Swing low-to-high, bend your knees, and follow through.

Hmm... I use my whole hand. And break my wrist after contact. If you placed all your force on your thumb wouldn't you inevitably pull the ball to the right (or left if youre a lefty)?

With either a 1 or 2 handed backhand it's a good idea to start your back swing with hand down by your pocket. After you make contact your racquet should point in the direction you want the ball to go, and then it should follow through over your shoulder. Make sure to keep your body closed until after you've hit the ball, and your head at your point of contact until the ball has left your racquet.

A little wrist usage can be a good thing, but don't use it all the time and don't over-exaggerate the movement.

oog

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2002

you shouldn't need to come over the ball to put a top-spin on it. hitting from low to high and hitting through the ball is plenty.

more on this topic here: Should I use any wrist motion on my forehand?

tailes151

Mar 3, 2006
Originally posted by: oog

you shouldn't need to come over the ball to put a top-spin on it. hitting from low to high and hitting through the ball is plenty.

more on this topic here: Should I use any wrist motion on my forehand?

.... If you hit low to high and follow through on your swing you automatically come over the ball. Hence not needing your wrist.

jinduy

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
i'm not sure what the names are but i hvae a technique for figuring it out, given to me by my tennis recreation teacher...

fh:

hold racquet with left hand(freehand)
put right palm flat against strings
bring your palm straight down the grip and hold it, that's my FH
based on some research, i guess it's eastern

bh (i use a two hand backhand):

hard to describe, i kinda hold it like a frying pan where it feels natural holding the racquet in front of you like a pan (strings facing up n down).
maybe it's continental

my tennis rec coach has been helpful but i doubt he's certified since he didn't know his grips when i asked him

Shaotai

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2002
if you are just starting out and you are hitting the frame a lot, it will cause shock to your wrists. With more practice, it will get better.
Try a string vibration dampener. (Don't know if you mentioned that yet...)

jinduy

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Originally posted by: Shaotai
if you are just starting out and you are hitting the frame a lot, it will cause shock to your wrists. With more practice, it will get better.
Try a string vibration dampener. (Don't know if you mentioned that yet...)

nope no one has mentioned :)
and yes i have hit the frame a lot, but i've made considerable improvement in hitting the sweet spot lately. it does feel like it lightly stings when i do hit the frame.
ill look into it, thanks.

badboyeee

Nov 12, 2001
maybe its because you have a wilson N6! that racket is super light and pretty head heavy. i dont get wrist pain but i do get shoulder pain. get a heavier, headlight, more flexible racket (stiffness). specs like those help people with wrist, tennis elbow, shoulder probs. technique is also something. and get a dampener like the other people mentioned. you could even just use a rubber band as a dampener

Manuwell

Jan 19, 2006
It would be unusual to have pain in your @sshole ! That would require another usage of the racket.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
My guess would be grip size and trying to hit from the wrong position. When I swing too late or hit the frame, it tends to hurt the wrist a bit.