Tenants heating system wonky = should I offer to pay their gas bill?

Mar 15, 2003
My tenant's heating system has been wonky for the past 3 weeks, though I've been making what I feel is adequate repairs (4 techs came and fixed various things, but the problem persists). Tonight another HVAC pro will hopefully get the issue resolved, but should I feel guilty about the month of inadequate heat, and offer to pay their December gas bill?

I'm a first time landlord so I want to do the right thing, but don't exactly have a spare $xxx dollars (though I'll eat ramen noodles for a while if that's the right thing to be done).

*Update*

The heating system was fixed last night (actually, one more piece needs to replaced, but that will be done today). I emailed my tenant earlier that day offering to take $100 off of next month's rent. She thanked me and, honestly, it made telling her that there would be no heat at all last night easier. She understood that we were doing everything that we had to do, instead of bitching. Thanks for the suggestion!

Last edited:

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
If you addressed it immediately and they have no out of pocket expenses, I wouldn't.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
you're already got 99% of landlords beat by getting right on fixing it... i'd say hold off on the ramen noodles for now.

if they complained i'd pay 1/2

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
What you could do is offer to lend them a high powered electric heater so they can at least have constant heat while it gets fixed properly. Sounds like you are doing everything you can though. From stories I hear most landlords would not even have bothered calling anybody.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
How inadequate was the heat, and what state are you in? If they spent cold days in the apartment, paying a month of gas would be the cool thing to do. It may not be explicitly necessary, but it would generate good will, and will give you better tenants in the long term.

Mar 15, 2003
If you addressed it immediately and they have no out of pocket expenses, I wouldn't.

Fair enough, my concern is that the boiler has been cranking (i.e. they're paying for gas) but the heat wasn't distributed properly, so they spent money on heat that they didn't get. I'm probably just over thinking...

Mar 15, 2003
How inadequate was the heat, and what state are you in? If they spent cold days in the apartment, paying a month of gas would be the cool thing to do. It may not be explicitly necessary, but it would generate good will, and will give you better tenants in the long term.

The heat is working but trickling - I'd say an average of 50-60 degrees inside (during 30-50 degree weather). They supplemented it with an electric heater, which I'm embarrassed by frankly, because they have the right to be warm where they live.

I would have offered them electric heaters as a stop-gap measure but they bought them before letting me know of the issue.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Fair enough, my concern is that the boiler has been cranking (i.e. they're paying for gas) but the heat wasn't distributed properly, so they spent money on heat that they didn't get. I'm probably just over thinking...
That's a little different.
Maybe offer them $X off next months rent?

My dad had rentals and he used to not charge for Decembers rent if the tenants paid on time the other 11 months.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
How come when people ask for opinions it always takes 56 posts to get all the relevant info out of them?
:confused;

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
That's a little different.
Maybe offer them $X off next months rent?

My dad had rentals and he used to not charge for Decembers rent if the tenants paid on time the other 11 months.
Way old school. Props for yer Pops!

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Hmmm...
My tenants had that problem for about 2 weeks. First I worked on the furnace & got it running again, but the problem occurred again. Then, I installed a ventless natural gas heater as supplemental heat downstairs. (A couple hundred, including the black pipe - and from now on, I'll only use gastite.) When the furnace went a 3rd time & the supplemental heat wasn't sufficient due to colder than normal temperatures in the spring, I went out and purchased a brand new furnace for the house & installed it. ($700ish) Ultimately, that new furnace cut their gas bills significantly & more than made up for any inconvenience they experienced. If anything, I should have raised the rent slightly because of the new furnace. Never once did I consider they deserved a break on their rent as a result - I was right on top of the problem as soon as it occurred. It's no different than what a homeowner goes through when something like that happens - the bank doesn't say "hey, we'll cut you a break on the mortgage because your heat was out for a couple days."

And, as far as 50-60... I know several people who keep their home temperature at 60 degrees or less during the winter.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Good gravy on a hill of beans! Is it really that difficult to find a GOOD "heat duck man"? :D

Mar 15, 2003
How come when people ask for opinions it always takes 56 posts to get all the relevant info out of them?
:confused;

because i'm exhausted from being stuck in airports and coming home to both heating issues and "shouldn't have left my cats home alone because they'll fuck shit up" issues and.. and I gotta crank out this web dev assessment for work so I haven't had lunch or slept and .. life, basically leading to brain farts :)

but your suggestion was appreciated!

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
Hmmm...
My tenants had that problem for about 2 weeks. First I worked on the furnace & got it running again, but the problem occurred again. Then, I installed a ventless natural gas heater as supplemental heat downstairs. (A couple hundred, including the black pipe - and from now on, I'll only use gastite.) When the furnace went a 3rd time & the supplemental heat wasn't sufficient due to colder than normal temperatures in the spring, I went out and purchased a brand new furnace for the house & installed it. ($700ish) Ultimately, that new furnace cut their gas bills significantly & more than made up for any inconvenience they experienced. If anything, I should have raised the rent slightly because of the new furnace. Never once did I consider they deserved a break on their rent as a result - I was right on top of the problem as soon as it occurred. It's no different than what a homeowner goes through when something like that happens - the bank doesn't say "hey, we'll cut you a break on the mortgage because your heat was out for a couple days."

And, as far as 50-60... I know several people who keep their home temperature at 60 degrees or less during the winter.

True, but at the very least the tenants are out the money they spent on the electric heaters. OP should reimburse for that expense or just cut them a break on rent because of it. I always err on the side of spending a little more to keep the relationship incredible because you never know what you might ask for in the future. You might want a letter of recommendation from them to any future residents or to be able to show the place with little notice and have them keep it clean. Spending a little money now could make your life a lot easier in the long run.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com

If they didn't get it, where did it go? That post really doesn't make a lot of sense. "Not distributed properly" is going to mean some rooms are too warm while others are too cool, not that all of the rooms are too cool.

Mar 15, 2003
If they didn't get it, where did it go? That post really doesn't make a lot of sense. "Not distributed properly" is going to mean some rooms are too warm while others are too cool, not that all of the rooms are too cool.

Their bedroom (2nd floor of a duplex) was warm but the living area was colder.. Not freezing, but not warm...I've heard mixed reasons and honestly don't know shit about the HVAC world, It could be, as said by one tech, a blockage in the lines in the living room.. One tech thought it was the thermostat and replaced it.. Another just bled the boiler.. I have no idea about any of this, my question is more about ethics than anything.