Tempur-Pedic mattress - you have?

hoyaguru

Jun 9, 2003
My wife has been going on and on about these Tempur-Pedic mattresses, you know, the memory foam stuff? She just got a sample piece in the mail, along with a video. Does anyone have one of these things? Are they any good? How expensive are they?

blackdogdeek

Lifer
Mar 14, 2003
i have the pillow. i like it quite a bit.

we don't have the mattress but i did lie down on the demo one in brookstone and it was pretty comfy.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: hoyaguru
My wife has been going on and on about these Tempur-Pedic mattresses, you know, the memory foam stuff? She just got a sample piece in the mail, along with a video. Does anyone have one of these things? Are they any good? How expensive are they?

My GF has the full sized bed. Its like a mattress made of heaven. Every time I lay on it I just dont want to get off of it. Ive got a cheapo mattress pad but it doesnt come anywhere near the quality of the actual tempurpedic bed.

That being said if youre looking for "leverage" :) , you might want to consider a regular mattress.

LordJezo

Banned
May 16, 2001
Go and read reviews about them.. tons of horror stories.. I would never get one after reading what so many people say about them.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
I want one. I HAD a pillow (well, a Costco knock-off one) and loved it, but had to give it up after my cat discovered it. Apparently it feels very good to cats to sink their claws into, and he fell in love with it. After witnessing him humping my pillow, I just gave it to him. Nasty cat.

SoylentGreen

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Bryophyte
I want one. I HAD a pillow (well, a Costco knock-off one) and loved it, but had to give it up after my cat discovered it. Apparently it feels very good to cats to sink their claws into, and he fell in love with it. After witnessing him humping my pillow, I just gave it to him. Nasty cat.

Were you sleeping at the time?

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Kiyup
Originally posted by: Bryophyte

Were you sleeping at the time?

Nope. He sleeps by my knees. If he got near my head, I'd throw him off the bed.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Don't get the expensive complete Tempur-Pedic mattress. There are tons of horror stories about them. Instead, go to Costco and get the approx. $100 "Elite Memory Foam Mattress Topper". As long as your existing regular bed is still good, it's like owning a Tempur-Pedic for 1/20th the cost, and most people say it's actually even better.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Vic
Don't get the expensive complete Tempur-Pedic mattress. There are tons of horror stories about them. Instead, go to Costco and get the approx. $100 "Elite Memory Foam Mattress Topper". As long as your existing regular bed is still good, it's like owning a Tempur-Pedic for 1/20th the cost, and most people say it's actually even better.

I got the one with the down cover from Costco last year when they had it on coupon sale. I love it (and my cat hasn't discovered it yet.) It was a temporary measure to make my futon bed last a bit longer until I can get a good bed to replace it.

hoyaguru

Jun 9, 2003
You guys keep mentioning "horror stories" about these mattresses, what horror stories are you referring to? Do they spontaneously burst into flames or something?

CaseTragedy

Platinum Member
Oct 24, 2000
I got a full-sized topper from Smartbargains for ~$70 shipped plus 2x tempur-pedic pillows from eb@y for ~$50 each. After sleeping on them for almost a year--I can say it's well worth it. It's difficult to sleep on a regular bed now that I've been spoiled. The topper is highly recommended--no point in wasting your money on the entire mattress. My gf wants the topper for her own bed now. ;)

-Case

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
You guys keep mentioning "horror stories" about these mattresses, what horror stories are you referring to? Do they spontaneously burst into flames or something?
There are common complaints against full Tempur-Pedic mattresses being too soft and of deforming. "Horror story" may be a little strong, but when you shell out $2k for a fancy mattress and it ends up being worse than your old $500 regular mattress, that's not a pleasant thing.

LordJezo

Banned
May 16, 2001

Example

hoyaguru

Jun 9, 2003
Originally posted by: LordJezo

Example

Yes, I've read all of the reviews there, and it seems like people either completely love this mattress, or completely hate it, not much in between. There is a store the next town over from me that sells these, I'll have to check their return policy and maybe try one out.

TRDGT

Mar 15, 2004
Bought a Select Comfort for Xmas best damn$$$ spent, heard Tempur-Pedic mattress can be uncomfortable and too hot.
Try Select-Comfort.