tempered glass or matte for QNIX QX2710

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I am looking seriously at the QNIX QX2710. the glossy option is out because I cant stand that. I see they have a tempered glass option though and I have never heard of that. I tried to google and really did not come up with much. what are the pros and cons of tempered glass and how is compared to matte?

spinejam

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
I have a tempered glass Shimian. No dust issues here, not sure how dust would get in there anyway, but it is glossy and very reflective. I have a window behind my desk and I have to keep the drapes/blinds closed (cave-mode) when gaming for the best viewing experience.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
I am looking seriously at the QNIX QX2710. the glossy option is out because I cant stand that. I see they have a tempered glass option though and I have never heard of that. I tried to google and really did not come up with much. what are the pros and cons of tempered glass and how is compared to matte?

Is there a "semi glossy" option? Semi glossy really is the best. Anyway, tempered glass is essentially glossy, although it is still very nice. I would not recommend it if you're using it in a lit environment - it is still very much reflective. In terms of reflection, it is basically similar to full gloss.

On the other hand, matte can diminish text sharpness. So it's a tradeoff that you'll need figure out - can you use the PC in a dimly lit environment? If so, tempered glass will excel. I've used the amazing Samsung S27B970 with a glass screen and it was by far, the best best 1440p panel I've laid eyes on, and i've seen a lot of them. Then again, it also costs 1000$.

TLDR: If you're in a heavily lit environment, matte or semi glossy are the only real options.

On a personal note, the three screen options consist of full glossy, semi glossy, and matte. I'd say I hate matte the MOST out of the three options . Semi glossy (Dell U2713H, U2713HM) is the best IMHO. It's the best compromise between being NOT reflective yet simultaneously not diminishing text sharpness as matte does. Matte will diminish text quality. Full glossy (and tempered glass) is obviously completely reflective in a lit environment.

Last edited:

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I have a tempered glass Shimian. No dust issues here, not sure how dust would get in there anyway, but it is glossy and very reflective. I have a window behind my desk and I have to keep the drapes/blinds closed (cave-mode) when gaming for the best viewing experience.

I have two of the Shimians without tempered glass. They've got some some glossiness and look great without being overly reflective.

Piklar

Aug 9, 2013
I have 2 glossy Shimians, two QNIX QX2710 Matte , two glossy crossover models and a 30Q5pro which is matte. If I had to choose on any of these 27" as a main display and for gaming it would be a QNIX QX2710 Matte, because the non reflective coating prevents eye strain and is easier to read and see during the day.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Had a FHD2400 from Gateway years ago,glossy and god did i ever hate it for that but the colors and the quality of the monitor was very well off.

Tempered glass?Never heard of such a thing on a monitor but a monitor purchase is far and few here,hell i went with the u2412m cause i doubt its being replaced till 1440p gaming becomes mainstream both in gaming and affordability.

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
I have a Catleap with tempered glass, and the real plus is keeping it clean is as easy as using Windex or equivalent to clean the glass, since the actual panel never gets dirty since it is sealed behind the glass.

But as others have mentioned, glass can be highly reflective if you have something like a window on the opposite side of the room.
Which fortunately, I do not.
HERE is a pic I found of one with glass so you get the idea.

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
Lol T, what happened to your 144 Hz adventure? I though you were enjoying it.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
But as others have mentioned, glass can be highly reflective if you have something like a window on the opposite side of the room.
Which fortunately, I do not.
HERE is a pic I found of one with glass so you get the idea.

Damn that would be terrible in my room,my u2412 with its ag coating still gets a tiny bit of glare as my room is bright,my room would have to be as dark as a cave to enjoy that but i could see it being pretty awesome in the right room.

How much does that monitor set you back?

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Damn that would be terrible in my room,my u2412 with its ag coating still gets a tiny bit of glare as my room is bright,my room would have to be as dark as a cave to enjoy that but i could see it being pretty awesome in the right room.

How much does that monitor set you back?
I dont remember exactly what i paid since it was so long ago, it was around $340 or a bit less/more.
I paid a bit extra to have it opened and checked to ensure no dead pixels before it shipped to me.
And the seller refunded my extra for the pixel check because he listed it in stock and didnt actually have any, so it shipped a week later than originally promised but he basically did the pixel check for free.
(that was perfectly fine with me :biggrin: )
I got it from Green-Sum on ebay back during the height of the Catleap craze...LOL

When i'm at my pc, my pc room is dimly lit with just a desk lamp , so it looks great.
And i have dark blue curtains, so that helps.
Basically just like blackened23 describes above, if you have a dimly lit room, the glass really looks great with rich/deep colors.

And i've gotta admit, I love not having to worry about cleaning/smudging the actual screen and the glass is really easy to keep clean.

But if you have a brightly lit room, yeah, you'd hate the glass.

Last edited:

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
$320 for that Yamakasi catleap 2703 with the tempered glass is hell of awesome,i was under the impression these things retailed for over $600 which is way more then i was willing to spend on a monitor,hell the $300 i paid for the u2412m was a bit steep but i aimed for quality.

How does the quality of the Yamakasi compare to Dell?Wife is telling me for our anniversary next year i could pick one up,that would be in April but perhaps if i am lucky prices may drop a little bit by then?

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
$320 for that Yamakasi catleap 2703 with the tempered glass is hell of awesome,i was under the impression these things retailed for over $600 which is way more then i was willing to spend on a monitor,hell the $300 i paid for the u2412m was a bit steep but i aimed for quality.

How does the quality of the Yamakasi compare to Dell?Wife is telling me for our anniversary next year i could pick one up,that would be in April but perhaps if i am lucky prices may drop a little bit by then?

Check the Monoprice review at AT, they are mediocre at best and crap at worst.This is OOB experience, after calibration they perform great.

Last edited:

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999

I should have been more clear.
I remember i was at around $400 total. (including the extra i paid for the pixel check)
Then when he sent an email and apologized that i'd have to wait a week until he got another shipment and sent me a paypal refund, i landed somewhere in the mid $300's.
I don't know what they are going for now.

As far as quality vs Dell, I used to own a Dell 2405 and the quality was top notch with lots of inputs, plus usb ports and a solid stand with height up/down and pivot adjustments.
Only minor complaint i ever really had with my Dell was a slight "screen-door effect" due to the anti-glare coating.

The Catleap on the other hand only has DVI inut, no speakers,no color adjustments other than brightness and a wobbly stand with no adjustments for height or tilt.
Only DVI input can be seen as a positive though since less inputs = less input lag.

My desk is made of tempered glass and metal, so the wobbly stand isn't an issue for me since my desk doesn't move at all so the monitor doesn't wobble for me so the stand is just fine.
But if you have a desk that moves slightly when typing or whatever, that is something to consider.

Be aware that I have a Catleap Q270 SE, so the 2703 stand may or may not be better.(i think i read its better somewhere)
Now why he has the Q270 SE priced so high now, i dont know, unless the tempered glass version of the Q270 is getting rare now.
I honestly dont know the real reason since i no longer follow the Catleap monitor club thread.
But the Q270 SE with tempered glass WAS priced about the same as the newer 2703's are now.

So if you're considering one of these, it may be a good idea to read that HUGE thread to see whats changed since the beginning of 2012.
Only thing i found doing a quick search on the Q270 vs the 2703 is HERE.
2703 = Tempered Glass, Nice Stand,
Q270= No Glass, Stand with that curved silver thing in the back
Which is obviously a bit inaccurate since they clearly make a Q270 with tempered glass.

So you're stuck reading that thread if you want the most up-to-date info, cuz i'm not doing it....LMAO

I use a Spyder4 data color to calibrate my monitors, so having to use software instead of a monitors built in onscreen display to do color adjustments was/is also no big deal to me.
But really, after calibrating my Catleap, all i noticed was the blacks were lightened up a bit, so the default calibration right out of the box was pretty much dead on anyway.
If needed there are places to download color profiles for the monitor, but I honestly don't feel its needed.

Really what you are buying these monitors for is the excellent 2560x1440 IPS panel for an awesome price.

But the actual quality of the bezel and stand is going to vary from one brand to next.

So, If you're considering it, i highly suggest reading that huge thread since a lot may have changed since i bought mine in early 2012.

And BE AWARE that a listing on ebay that says "perfect pixel" doesnt always mean no dead pixels!!
Read the fine print, and if you're still not sure that you are guaranteed no dead pixels, contact the seller and ask if its an option.

Not sure if they still offer an option to physically open them and check for you any more since they have gotten so popular and I'm sure the sales numbers are alot higher now.
I honestly don't know because as i've said, i haven't kept up-to-date since I've already had mine for awhile now.

Maybe someone on here, who has bought one more recently can fill you in on the latest with these monitors.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
I personally hate glossy screen they put in the tv. We have a samsung 55" and I have to say I like my dads LG oldl 60hz tv is more enjoyable and its 35" I rather watch that then watch the glossy and see myself thru the tv,,,,,,,,,, thanks gl

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Lol T, what happened to your 144 Hz adventure? I though you were enjoying it.
144hz itself was great but the rest of the monitor was garbage. it looked no better and in many cases worse than my old Dell.

thanks for all the replies here as it has shown me that the tempered glass option is just way too reflective for me.

btw I just tried my first IPS yesterday and will probably start a thread about it later just to keep you guys entertained.

spat55

Jul 2, 2013

Mine has glass, but I do think that matte might be the way, I hate having to get the lighting right and sometimes sitting in a dark room, but when you have the lighting perfect I think glass looks magnificent.

EDIT: Just seen you have a GTX 660ti, it will struggle at 1440p. Medium/High in BF3 on 64 player maps...

Last edited:

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Toyota, i'm gonna crap on your thread one more time to just share a little more info that i think may be useful to others.
Hope you don't mind. ;)

1: If you're wondering what the tempered glass version looks like, if you've ever seen or used an ipad, then that is an excellent example of what you can expect.

2: Although i stated my own Catleap Q270 SE lacks height, tilt and portrait mode, these Korean panels are sold under many different brand names now, and im sure if you need/want any of those features, you can easily find a model that fits your needs.
I even believe if you get one with multiple inputs, you get the usual onscreen display adjustments , if that really matters to you.

If im correct , the QNIX QX2710 in this thread title is a Korean panel that is PLS instead of IPS. (yeah, i had to google it, cuz i didnt know what it was at first...so what? ....LOL )

And i remember there are Achieva Shimians, Crossovers and who knows how many other brands out there now that you can look at to find a model with all the features that suits you.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
you are not crapping as more info is always welcome.

and here is where I was looking to get one of these QNIX monitors if I decide to go with one. http://www.ipsledmonitors.com/QNIX-Monitor-s/1513.htm

the more I read up on this things though the more apprehensive I get. there seems to be a lot of quality control issues and back light bleeding.

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Ahhh...you always hear negative stuff if you read enough opinions on any product.
You read complaints of backlight bleeding on just about any monitor out there.
Unless you are the type that stares at a black screen specifically looking for it, its usually really no big deal.
ie: If I stare at a black screen on any of the 5 monitors currently in my house right now, I can easily find some backlight bleeding on all of them if i wanted to be really picky.

Just look on our own Anandtech forums, there are a lot of us who own these Korean panels, and are more than happy with the picture quality.

As long as you take steps to ensure you get one with no dead/stuck pixels. (that is the most important step IMO)
If a lot of people are making sure they are getting panels with no dead/stuck pixels, well the ones with dead/stuck pixels are going to somebody, they aren't just thrown in a pile and not sold...so i would think the more sold, the worse the luck-of-the-draw lottery would be, so i wouldn't take the chance.

I would have to agree that the bezels/stands quality vary wildly between brands.
And I know for a fact, that I personally own a model with one of the worst nonadjustable / wobbly stands and I'm still more than happy with the monitor. (others owners just ordered and changed their stands if it bothered them too much)
But the picture quality really is excellent on mine and i couldn't possibly complain about that, i'd be lying if i did.

LOL, I sound like a salesman.

Maybe make a thread on here asking who all owns one of these Korean panels and if they're happy with it or not.