temperature question

zogg

Dec 13, 1999
I got my new 450Mhz K6-3+ @600Mhz@2.05 volts on an Aopen MX59ProII. I am running dual monitors with the onboard video and a voodoo3 3000 pci. Im using onboard sound and have it connected to my network.I have 128 Megs of pc100 cas2 kingston and slightly larger then stock heatsink and fan combo and a case fan installed.
Hers my question:
When I first put the system together I tried different bus/multiplier combos all the way up to 630 mhz and everything was stable and cool. As a matter of fact, the aopen hardware monitor said my cpu was running about 1-2 points cooler then mother board! After a few days of testing and fooling around I left it for some other project. I got it running now with the dual monitors and the hardware monitor says my cpu is at 104 F or 41 celsius. I thought it had something to do with the cpu having to push two monitors so I disabled the onboard and am just running it with V3 3000. IT's still at 104 degrees.
Is it the V3 3000 that is bringing the cpu temp way up or is it possible that I am killing the cpu at this clock speed?
What is a safe temp to run with this k6-3+? The hardware monitor is set at a maximum default threshold of 60 celsius.
I would think that after an hour of playing Quake3 the cpu temp would come close to or over 60 celsius.
Well I guess I am going to try it at 450 MHz and see what the temps are at default speed.
Thanks.

Trifecta

May 27, 2000
That was going to be my first question for you (default temp)

Running lots of graphics is definately going to push the temps way up.

Next question:
How many case fans / what kind of cooling are you getting on the chip?

If that chip runs stable at that speed, and its only a matter of heat, then you have got yourself one great system!

I would simply get the best cooling around for that chip and run some PRime95 on it to see if that speed is ok for the long haul.

zogg

Dec 13, 1999
I have one case fan installed blowing into the front of the case and then power supply exhausts. I dont have any other mountings for fans in this case. I never tried to run it at 2.0 volts because when I got this board i noticed I could increment in .05 steps so I figured I would just go 2.05 volts and leave it that way. I think I got a good chip because it can go to 630MHz at 2.05V if I want.
The whole thing is I dont want to spend a lot of money on this system( my fourth) I built it from spare parts . All I had to buy was a new case for 40 bucks and the cpu for 50 something and the mobo for 80 bucks, all the rest of the stuff I had laying around. So for 170 cash and maybe another 200 dollars worth of parts including the maxtor 20 gig 7200 Hard drive, I have a dual monitor system that would be great for business apps and also be able to play games.

3dmark 2000 with onboard video 501.......with voodoo 3 3000 2420 3dmarks.
wintune results: 1702 MIPs, 814 MFLOPS 150 interger and 83 floating point, 147 mmx,1242 ram MB/s, 104 cached disk,4.4 uncached disk.

The only thing that happend so far was when I was transfering about 2 gigs of mp3's over the network from my main machine to this one and I was trying to do a speed test with internet explorer at the same time on computing.msn.com, I blue screened the k6-3+. But that could of been due to collisions.
I am using A4Proxy to share my internet connection with the network.

Trifecta

May 27, 2000
hmmm,

One fan in front is nothing. The power sup fan doesnt help out the system at all.

you definately need more air circulation

sounds like its a faily nice setup, so I think that an extra fan or two (12dollars) is worth it.

The best thing to do is to cut two holes in the door panel so that you can mount two fans to shoot air right at the chip/mobo.

I would then reverse the air flow of the front fan or try to mount a fan in the rear to help the air to escape.

If its a baby at case, you might not be able to mount a fan in the rear, in which case mounting the front fan to blow air out would be the only option...

Get either a jig saw or use a drill w/ a metal hole cutter.

I used a metal hole cutter that I borrowed from a freind, and then I drilled 4 holes for the screws. The metal fan guards cost me 1.55 each and the metal hole cutter would cost about 20 bucks. (I think)

The difference the fans made on my system was amazing. I went down about 10c on my mobo temp and I am humming along at 32c on my P3e700@910. before, I was at something like 39-41...

I believe that the investment in one of those metal hole cutters is well worth the money. Especially if you have 4 puters. I did it to both of mine and in the small cases it makes a huge difference.

zogg

Dec 13, 1999
I might be able to rig up a front bay area cooling setup. The case has 4 5 1/4 bays and two 3.5 bays. all I need is one bay for the cdrom so I have three to cut holes into. then If I have cut the holes it wont matter if it doesnt look neat.But first when I get a chance. I am going to run it at 550 and see if the temp changes and if the scores dont drop to much I will leave it.

Trifecta

May 27, 2000

The front cooling is nothing compared to the side cooling. I had 2 fans in front and two in back, but when I put the 2 on the side it was a big difference

my2cents

zogg

Dec 13, 1999
UPDATE:

I installed an Alpha FEP cooler with a ys tech fan. Cpu temp is now 2 degrees celsius above the system temp. I went from as high as 43 celsius to 28 celsius on the cpu and stayed at 26 celsius on the system. No need to go through cutting holes in the side of the case and installing fans and grills.....that sounded like much to much work and mess.
I am happy to say system seems very stable.

LittleJohn

Oct 25, 2000
I just found and ordered from Text a Alpha P3 125 kit. THIS IS THE BEST web site I have found on cooling everything. This guy does all his own testing, and shows pics too.

Trifecta

May 27, 2000
old news. I think most people on this forum are familiar with 2cooltek.

However, if you want an alpha socket A or socket 370 cooler, go to www.3dfxcool.com

they have them in stock.