Tell me where to eat in NYC

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Going for spring break and I wanna know about all the places that you New Yorkers love, especially places in Chinatown. Not really interested in super fancy dining, just delicious food at affordable prices

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Check the NY Times food section. I'm not from NYC so I can't give you any inside tips, but the food section was very helpful last time we went. I don't want to make recommendations b/c restaurants change quickly, and what I liked 18 mos ago might not be worth it anymore.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Well I should say, Michael Scott recommends a local place called Sbarro for a slice.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Mo0o
Going for spring break and I wanna know about all the places that you New Yorkers love, especially places in Chinatown. Not really interested in super fancy dining, just delicious food at affordable prices

What kinda food?

Chinatown... Joe's shanghai is prety famous.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: halik
Originally posted by: Mo0o

What kinda food?

Chinatown... Joe's shanghai is prety famous.

oh yeah heard about this place. definitely on the to see list

as for what kinds of food:

any kind, chinese, italian, japanese, indian, america

ghostman

Golden Member
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: sjwaste
Well I should say, Michael Scott recommends a local place called Sbarro for a slice.

Gah! I hope you were joking. Sbarro's pizza is a chain which serves overpriced, poor quality pizza. You can get much better pizza at small, local joints.

There are the places I tend to like and some places I've yet to go to (usually the pricey ones), but know has been recommended.

Chinese
Big Wong (chopped meats), Joe's Shanghai (soupy dumplings), anything in Chinatown...

Vietnamese
Nha Trang... and many others in Chinatown.

Italian
Simply Pasta (midtown), any Little Italy restaurant, Carmine's

Japanese
Sushi Park and several others near St. Marks, Aoki, Nobu

Pizza
Grimaldi's (Brooklyn), Lombardi's

Steak
Peter Lugers (Brooklyn), Ruth Chris, Smith and Wollensky, Del Frisco

I don't like Indian food, so I can't say.

BTW, check menupages.com for ideas. Excellent resource.

skim milk

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2003
those soupy dumplings are good (craving them right now)
Momoun's falafel place in greenwich village

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Whenever I come in from Scranton, I like to visit Sbarro's. My favorite New York pizza place. I'm going to go get me a New York slice!

Jun 19, 2007
Dim sum in Chinatown is fun, and pretty cheap for the huge assortment of stuff you can get. Jing Fong is one of the biggest and most famous.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
NYC is home to some of the best food on earth!

What is affordable?

If you like Italian, I love both "Frank" and "Supper". Both are located up near 1st and Houston.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
For Mexican: El Maguey Y La Tuna at 321 East Houston

For dessert: Max Brenner at 841 Broadway near Union Square

I personally have pretty much avoided Chinatown.

Oct 20, 2005
Originally posted by: ghostman

Gah! I hope you were joking. Sbarro's pizza is a chain which serves overpriced, poor quality pizza. You can get much better pizza at small, local joints.

Good God I want to slap you really hard across your face. :roll:

dethman

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: ghostman

**WHOOOOOOSH**

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: BigJ
Whenever I come in from Scranton, I like to visit Sbarro's. My favorite New York pizza place. I'm going to go get me a New York slice!

errr that's a franchised chain...

If you want ribs/comfort food, go to Blue Smoke in murray hill... and get the mac and cheese with it. YUM!