tell me what you think and would change

fLum0x

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2004
Ok, this is my first computer that i am building from scratch. I want top of the line without paying for the diminishing returns most of the processors give. And i want it to be able to handle any game efficiently. Here is the system...

AMD Athlon 64 3400+
Antec Silver Aluminum ATX P-160WF
Gigabyte GA-K8ns Pro nforce3 250
Antec 550W
1GB Corsair XMS extreme memory speed series (2x512)
2 x WD 120GB 7200 rmps in raid 0
WD Raptor 36.7GB (for os and games)
Lite-on 52x32x52x16 combo drive
Plextor 8x dvd-rw/+rw drive
Thermaltake Venus 12 CPU cooler for amd opteron and athlon 64
Radeon x800 xt platinum (possible the new one made by HIS)

One of my big thoughts is whether or not i need the 550w power supply. If i could, i would settle with the antec true480, although i am not sure. Let me know what you guys think and make suggestions at will.

Shyatic

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2004
Diminishing returns? I'd get the 3000+ since it OCs really well, coupled with the MSI mobo just reviewed here. I'd ditch the Raptor since it's not going to make a HUGE difference, and the cost seems prohibitive (imo). Radeon x800xt is nice, but pricey... you can save some bucks by getting the 9800 Pro (which plays everything very respectably) and then upgrading to the next gen later on, and you'll still have saved money thru the whole PC.

The 550W is fine I think, you can use it for later video cards and things that require more power, so hell -- keep it. The 2 WD Raptors in Raid 0 is going to be plenty speedy and plenty of room so I think that's fine too. And why spend the money on the Plextor drive when it's really not worth the extra bucks -- get a Lite-On or something.

Just my $.02... take it as you will. I would save some of my money and use it on a later upgrade since PC upgrades seem to be more frequent now, and upgrading to the 'latest and greatest' is generally bad, at least as far as the power of your PC vs the $$$ spent is concerned. And the system I suggest would still play everything out there with BLAZING speed. If you want the uber-PC go your route. If you want a great PC that plays everything and saves a few bucks -- go my route.

Either way if you got cash to blow... you can't go wrong :)

fLum0x

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2004
would you guys get the HIS version or just the standard one or abit or what? I am not sure of the release dates for ANY of them quite yet. I know a couple will be out by the 21st of this month

fLum0x

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2004
also, what do you think about the nforce3 chipset versus the k8t800?? this mobo seems to have everything on it i could ever want

Shyatic

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2004
The nForce3 boards are really good, and the MSI one has really got everything you want as well -- RAID, Gigabit Ethernet, Sound, etc.. And the fact they are edging out the VIA now in gaming well... made it an easy choice for me.

TheBDB

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2002
Originally posted by: fLum0x
also, what do you think about the nforce3 chipset versus the k8t800?? this mobo seems to have everything on it i could ever want

There doesn't seem to be much of a performance difference between them. Go with the one that has the features you want.

fLum0x

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2004
the MSI board is decent, although doesnt have the newest technology. Also, the MSI board doesnt have 1394 to the front. The case has 2 usb and firewire in the front, along with 1 in and 1 out.

is there a site or something that could easily tell me if everything is compatible...i.e. the gigabyte board with the memory and so forth. I am confused on that part for being my first computer from scratch.