Tell me this isn't inappropriate

vetteguy

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2001
My boss asked me if I wanted to go on a business trip to visit the headquarters of our database vendor next week, mainly because I've never been down there before and we might be buying a portal from them. So anyway, he, myself, and his boss are going, so he asked me to make reservations at a nearby hotel. Naturally, when I called I reserved three rooms. Later on that day (this was Friday) he asked me if I had called yet, and I told him I had "the rooms" reserved. He suddenly froze, and asked me how many rooms I had gotten. When I told him 3, I thought he was going to pass out. He started freaking out, saying that his boss "would never approve that much expense" and that whenever they travel they always share rooms. (His boss is, how do you say, careful with money). I looked at him blankly, and he told me I had to call back and change it to one room. I told him I thought that was totally inappropriate for coworkers to stay in the same hotel room, and that that was not how things were done in any business I've ever worked. He told me that it didn't matter and I had to change the reservation. I still haven't, but what do you think? Is this not totally inappropriate? I don't know what I'm going to do tomorrow, but I think I'm basically going to say that one way or another I need a separate room. Have any of you ever been forced to spend the night in the same room with coworkers? If so, how did you handle it?

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I wouldn't say it's inappropriate, especially if everyone is the same sex.

Would I like it? No.

You can always pay for a room yourself if it bothers you that much.

Viper GTS

rpc64

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2002
Your bosses are stupid. If I were you, I'd call and change it to one room but then get another room for myself and pay for it myself if I had to.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Originally posted by: vetteguy
My boss asked me if I wanted to go on a business trip to visit the headquarters of our database vendor next week, mainly because I've never been down there before and we might be buying a portal from them. So anyway, he, myself, and his boss are going, so he asked me to make reservations at a nearby hotel. Naturally, when I called I reserved three rooms. Later on that day (this was Friday) he asked me if I had called yet, and I told him I had "the rooms" reserved. He suddenly froze, and asked me how many rooms I had gotten. When I told him 3, I thought he was going to pass out. He started freaking out, saying that his boss "would never approve that much expense" and that whenever they travel they always share rooms. (His boss is, how do you say, careful with money). I looked at him blankly, and he told me I had to call back and change it to one room. I told him I thought that was totally inappropriate for coworkers to stay in the same hotel room, and that that was not how things were done in any business I've ever worked. He told me that it didn't matter and I had to change the reservation. I still haven't, but what do you think? Is this not totally inappropriate? I don't know what I'm going to do tomorrow, but I think I'm basically going to say that one way or another I need a separate room. Have any of you ever been forced to spend the night in the same room with coworkers? If so, how did you handle it?

If i was with friends i wouldn't care... but with coworkers? No way.

johnjohn320

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Viper GTS

Would I like it? No.

Viper GTS

You mean if everyone is not the same sex?

vetteguy

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2001
Originally posted by: rpc64
Your bosses are stupid. If I were you, I'd call and change it to one room but then get another room for myself and pay for it myself if I had to.
That's what I'm thinking of doing. As far as the same-sex thing, that's not why I think it's inappropriate, but the fact that these people are purely work-related acquantainces, and not people I feel comfortable enough with to sleep in the same room with.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
it'd be weird, but I wouldn't call it inappropriate...I agree that if it makes you feel uncomfortable, just get them one room and get yourself one room.

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
Its inappropiate for the most part. 2 guys sharing a room isn't so bad if they are not just coworkers but lovers j/k but if they are friends also then thats not such a problem. 3 people in a room I'd say is too much. You don't want to be in there when your boss and his boss get there freak on!

The only situation I can see it being reasonable if the company was in real dire need to save money. Then all 3 sharing a room is the only acceptable way. Otherwise 3 in a room is no a go.

vetteguy

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Koing
Its inappropiate for the most part. 2 guys sharing a room isn't so bad if they are not just coworkers but lovers j/k but if they are friends also then thats not such a problem. 3 people in a room I'd say is too much. You don't want to be in there when your boss and his boss get there freak on!

The only situation I can see it being reasonable if the company was in real dire need to save money. Then all 3 sharing a room is the only acceptable way. Otherwise 3 in a room is no a go.
Actually, we are in need of saving money. But, part of our "money-saving" initiative was to cut out ALL business travel. So, our director is paying for this out of our general department budget because he thinks it's necessary to go.

nealr

Dec 20, 2000
ask him who brings the vasoline...
---
I think it's very inappropriate to ask that. Maybe find a cheaper hotel, or use the entertainment card or find some other way to make it cheaper... I just wouldn't share a room with a co-worker period.

yoda291

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
In business, whoever foots the bill is in the right..always.

If you want to pay your own room, it's not a problem. You have to remember tho, you're not there to socialize, you're there to work. Booking more than you should implies you think otherwise.

bsobel

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: johnjohn320

Would I like it? No.

Viper GTS

No, he had it right.
Bill

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
its not like they are going to rape your virgin asshole while you are asleep.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Hell no... 1 room per employee.

I went on a business trip last year with a fellow employee. She was 2 years older than me (she was 26). Could you imagine if we had to share the same room. :D We had a good time anyway...

Your problem: your boss' boss is cheap, that's all there is to it.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
i think this would be a good time to have a convenient illness in the family that will prevent you from attending.

Rastus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
All of the companies I've worked for let each person have his own room, but I've seen a lot of companies make their employees double up.

Never three to a room though.

DanFungus

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Originally posted by: johnjohn320

Would I like it? No.

Viper GTS

no, I think you mean;
if everyone else is of the other sex

;)