Tell me how Microsoft Word disappeared from my computer

Aug 31, 2004
Before people ask what process I took, here's what I've done:

1. Tried opening Word, to find it's just kinda gone.
2. Went to the program folder, to find it empty
3. Tried opening a Word doc, and it opened with wordpad
4. Restored a version of Windows from a day or two ago
5. Word SEEMED to have come back, and many program files are restored. However, when I open up a Word doc, it says on top (Non-Commercial Use) (Unlicensed Product), and a warning says "Setup Error" with content "The setup controller has encountered a problem during the install. Please review the log files for further information on the error.
6. When I click on that, another error message comes up "Microsoft Office can't find your license for this application. A repair attempt was unsuccessful or was cancelled. Microsoft Office will now exit."

Really ... I mean, really ... I'd be less pissed if I weren't opening up Office to write a thank you letter for an interview.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Have you called Microsoft yet?
What version of office?

Do you have your key? Because Microsoft does offer that you can just do a fresh download (of various versions) if you have it.

And yes, Microsoft products do know how to go down at the worst time ever.

gmaster456

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2011
Hmm. That is strange indeed. Not sure how that could have happened. Have you tried calling microsoft and or re downloading it?

CA19100

Jun 29, 2012
Why not just make the change to LibreOffice...you won't have to worry about it disappearing again.?

Because the products aren't even remotely comparable?

LibreOffice is good software, and may be good enough for a lot of people who have very basic needs, but it's not the same software by any stretch of the imagination.

gmaster456

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2011
Why not just make the change to LibreOffice...you won't have to worry about it disappearing again.?
Because some people actually like and/or depend on MS office. Functionality and usability wise I put LO about on par with MS Works 9. Great software and gets the job done for a lot of people but it lacks in a lot of areas. It is a good, free alternative though.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Gotta ask, is this a legal, licensed copy? Because if it isn't, who knows how it might have been modified.

BeeBoop

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2013
Your backups might be on Onedrive.com . My word docs are automatically stored there and you can even use office at any location without an official license. It's Microsoft's free version of office offered to you online.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Maybe you inadvertantly authorized MS to move it to the "cloud?" Have you checked with MS? Seems like the problem is that MS could not find your key ID.