Tell EA how you feel about making titles exclusive to Origin

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
As far as i'm concerned it's unlikely i'll buy from Origin as I do dislike the way EA treated Westwood Studios (among others).

If the games are cheaper than retail, maybe i'll consider it. I was & am still not enamoured with the Steam Tax, an Origin Tax would be a instant black flag.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
You hate the concept of friends list, games being kept up-to-date, social networking site, and built in online store?

number of friends i know who have a PC capable of playing any game made in the last decade = 0
social networking LOL couldn't care less
online store is a neutral as there are tons of online stores and there hasn't been a game released exclusively on Steam or the 100% required steam that i can recall wanting to play

updates is the only +, however im the type of person who checks often enough to not worry about it

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
Add to the thread I created and let them know they are hurting consumers by not allowing us to purchase the title from where we want and are going to lose you as a customer!

I want them to loose more customers! EA is the eight hundred pound gorilla in the room and arguing with them is simply not an effective course of action. Withholding food is the only approach that works with these money grubbing bean counters who will push for more profits no matter how much people bitch. They need to be slapped back to reality and the harder the better. I hope they come up more ways of shooting themselves in the foot.

Homer Simpson

Oct 10, 1999
Lee's Summit, MO represent! Working in Lenexa though.
OP representin' over here. work in KCMO, sadly.

on topic... this is dumb though i can see both sides. i think valve games are only available on steam and no other digital service, but still, i like my steam. 99% of my games are purchased on steam. its convenient to have them all in one place where i can back them up, keep'em updated automatically, etc. the couple non-steam games i have (sc2, sins of a solar empire) each have their own service (battle.net, impulse) and i really dont want a 4th service in origin. i would think the more places you can buy a game, the more sales you would get, but what do i know.

The-Noid

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
Also seems like this may end up being a benchmark case for antitrust at some point.

Politicians always seem to hate media companies getting into content distribution (ala Comcast/NBC and many others) will be interesting to see how they like a software producer kicking other others on an iNet distribution system.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Also seems like this may end up being a benchmark case for antitrust at some point.
The only antitrust issue here is Valve's imminent monopoly on computer game sales.

LOL at Valve fans who actually think this would be good for consumers.

The-Noid

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
The only antitrust issue here is Valve's imminent monopoly on computer game sales.

LOL at Valve fans who actually think this would be good for consumers.

From both standpoints not just origin.

Content and distribution has always been a hot bed for anti-trust. Will be interesting to see how it is handled in the digital space.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
OP representin' over here. work in KCMO, sadly.

on topic... this is dumb though i can see both sides. i think valve games are only available on steam and no other digital service, but still, i like my steam. 99% of my games are purchased on steam. its convenient to have them all in one place where i can back them up, keep'em updated automatically, etc. the couple non-steam games i have (sc2, sins of a solar empire) each have their own service (battle.net, impulse) and i really dont want a 4th service in origin. i would think the more places you can buy a game, the more sales you would get, but what do i know.

Now that I really think it through, I'm not so opposed to digital distribution if it's done right and by a company I can at least somewhat trust. Origin via EA meets neither of these criterion.

I personally utilize Battle.net, GoG.com, and Steam for digitally purchased goods. I just don't trust any other companies with my digital purchases.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
From both standpoints not just origin.

Content and distribution has always been a hot bed for anti-trust. Will be interesting to see how it is handled in the digital space.

I think Valve's monopoly on digital distribution helps gamers though. The more market share and thus power they get, the worse it will get in terms of profits for the game makers and publishers though. I certainly understand EA's move, I just refuse to support it.

OT: I think the KC, MO contributors to this thread should have a roundtable discussion at a bar with some good food and brews.

Last edited:

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
I personally utilize Battle.net, GoG.com, and Steam for digitally purchased goods. I just don't trust any other companies with my digital purchases.

Pretty much exactly what I've done. The only other game I've purchased digitally was Rift from Amazon.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You hate the concept of friends list, games being kept up-to-date, social networking site, and built in online store?

As for Ea having their own program, I really dont care. I just do not want to have to run half a dozen clients to play various games.. Once Origins launches, will blizzard launch a platform, or Bethesa, 2k games,,,,, and so on.

Personally, I like having an online store, games list, automatic updates and friends list all within a single program. I just do not want to have 2 or 3 programs with separate friends list on each client.

great post, i completely agree 100% with this post.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Do you guys ever stop and think what you might do it if were YOUR company?

Everyone BITCHES but no one offers SOLUTIONS...

With piracy running rampant I am sure this is a very good way for a company to control what it INITIALLY takes to start and play a game. After that, it seems pretty seamless...

Sure we as gamers pay for the game and companies should listen to us but, bottom line, they are concerned with making a profit and protecting their product as well...

Honestly, it's getting to where every thread about every game and every company is just a big bitch fest!

Exactly, people are so retarded. If I had a company I'd run it like Microsoft and Apple, strong arm the small guys and push them out of business, tell my customers they're dumb and don't know how to use my products, and create a monopoly so there's no other competition.

Cheesetogo

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2005
Wow, 3 whole game installs...Spore redux anyone? Yep, not touching Origin with a 10 foot pole.

It may mean 3 simultaneous installs.

e.g. install on desktop and laptop -- down to 1 available install. Uninstall from laptop, back to 2 available installs.

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
I am a PC gamer, I only play games on a console when they are not available on PC. I get all of my games through Steam, and I want to keep it that way. I like having all of my stuff in one location, and Steam does a great job. Keeps my games updated, has a build in friends system, and they have great sales. If EA does decide to move their titles to their Origin system exclusively, I wont be buying.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Problem is Steam did the digital distribution thing so right, it feels wrong when anyone else does it.

Is Steam DRM? Yes, yes it is. But unlike securom or Ubisoft's ****castle Valve had the great idea to have the DRM actually add usability and functionality instead of just take it away.

Install games on as many computers as you like, re-download them as many times as you like, keep em updated without hunting down patches, keep your games even through a reformat, messenger program built in etc etc etc. And the sales *stares off into the distance* god the sales...

New distribution methods will HAVE to meet at least this bar that Valve has set, and they will still lack the inertia of steam. Steam's game library is astoundingly deep, as well, something I just can't see other distributors coming anywhere close to matching. I eventually gave up on D2D & Impulse because I owned maybe 1 or 2 games on either of them and trying to keep track of where these stray games were was just not worth it. Neither program survived my SSD upgrade, while steam did.

It is worth waiting to see what, if any, response Valve has to the EA's accusation that their draconian distro agreement is to blame for the removal of Crysis 2 & Alice, not any kind of malicious intent on EA's part. It'd be nice if they could all just get along so Origins could come and fade into obscurity that much faster. I only hope this does not affect ME3 or DA3.

Last edited:

shingletingle

Jun 30, 2007
It's EA. Whatever they're planning does nothing but benefit them. And the lack of steam support now absolutely hurts consumers.

So you're saying EA should do things to benefit other companies? I don't know many for-profit companies that operate that way.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Problem is Steam did the digital distribution thing so right, it feels wrong when anyone else does it.

Is Steam DRM? Yes, yes it is. But unlike securom or Ubisoft's ****castle Valve had the great idea to have the DRM actually add usability and functionality instead of just take it away.

Install games on as many computers as you like, re-download them as many times as you like, keep em updated without hunting down patches, keep your games even through a reformat, messenger program built in etc etc etc. And the sales *stares off into the distance* god the sales...

New distribution methods will HAVE to meet at least this bar that Valve has set, and they will still lack the inertia of steam. Steam's game library is astoundingly deep, as well, something I just can't see other distributors coming anywhere close to matching. I eventually gave up on D2D & Impulse because I owned maybe 1 or 2 games on either of them and trying to keep track of where these stray games were was just not worth it. Neither program survived my SSD upgrade, while steam did.

It is worth waiting to see what, if any, response Valve has to the EA's accusation that their draconian distro agreement is to blame for the removal of Crysis 2 & Alice, not any kind of malicious intent on EA's part. It'd be nice if they could all just get along so Origins could come and fade into obscurity that much faster. I only hope this does not affect ME3 or DA3.

In regards to D2D. I have purchased 3 games from them and I have downloaded exactly zero from them. I entered the serial and activated them on Steam, and then I downloaded them. Useless DLM software is useless.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
So you're saying EA should do things to benefit other companies? I don't know many for-profit companies that operate that way.

EA is not operating with a win-win mentality, and is operating from a mentality of scarcity. They don't believe there is enough money to share between Valve and themselves and would rather operate on a lose-lose basis (i.e. their product doesn't get purchased and Valve gets no revenue). They think they can win by moving their digital sales over to Origin. The only way for them to lose is for customers not to purchase from them period. This is the only scenario that could play out, in which I see bringing EA games back to Steam.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003

I think it's in EA's best interest to keep their games on Steam and scrap Origin. They apparently disagree.

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
I think it's in EA's best interest to keep their games on Steam and scrap Origin. They apparently disagree.

I don't think scrapping their own digital distribution service is necessary, but removing their titles from Steam would be a huge mistake. It will kill 95% of their digital download sales.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
I think this is the problem. The PC version can sell DLC from within the game itself. I doubt Valve allows this, which is why they never carried free to play games until they started using Steam Wallet for the DLC microtransactions.

http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&boardid=1&threadid=122750

The Windows edition is available for purchase from within the game, the Xbox 360 version is up on the XBL Marketplace, and the PlayStation 3 is due on the PSN on June 28th in North America and June 29th in Europe (hackers willing).

Here's a good post from the thread I linked to IMO.

The Download service in question is likely Direct2Drive which they seem to use as "service" and together with mycrysis.com run their own DLC shop. This is linked together in an idiotic way. When you started the game on steam you could buy the DLC through D2D + mycrisis.com completely circumventing steam. (And steam didn't know about the DLC's at all) This means if you delete the game and reinstall (in steam) your DLC is gone. And you have to redownload and reinstall it.

This is CLEARLY against steam TOS

In fact, i am surprised Steam even let Crysis 2 in. And i wouldn't even be surprised if Crytek would be slammed here for breach of contract. (by Steam).

Funny thing is that this isn't EA's fault. But cryteks.

Steam hasn't the slightest problem with dlc, as long as its not exclusively tied to a service thats not steam.

Last edited: