Tell EA how you feel about making titles exclusive to Origin

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
Well...couple of issues:
1. Origin will probably not have deals like Steam does, so a pricing issue.
2. When you use Origin/EADM is it as easy to copy your Origin library to another hard drive as it is with Steam?
3. Is origin going to offer the EXCLUSIVES bullshit that they are offering through retailers? If not...WTF????

Apart from that I like Origin. I especially like the fact that I bought Dragon Age through stores and registered it online with Origin and now I can download them through Origin even without the DVD.

JAG87

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Stop jumping the gun FFS. We know nothing of what they are planning, and already making hate threads.

Go outside and get some fresh air.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Stop jumping the gun FFS. We know nothing of what they are planning, and already making hate threads.

Go outside and get some fresh air.

It's EA. Whatever they're planning does nothing but benefit them. And the lack of steam support now absolutely hurts consumers.

Last edited:

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
I am not going to register at ea forums just to post a single comment.

EA titles being exclusively on origins, is like making a product exclusively at target. There is not a target store within 100 miles of where I live. So I am not going to go out of my way to buy a product.

M0oG0oGaiPan

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2000
digitalgamedeals.com
Does anyone think it's going to lead to digital distribution sites paying for exclusives? Some of the sites already have exclusive releases already at least pre-release. IE The zeta game by Stardock @ Impulse.

Is this going to be the new console wars?

Anomaly1964

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2010
Do you guys ever stop and think what you might do it if were YOUR company?

Everyone BITCHES but no one offers SOLUTIONS...

With piracy running rampant I am sure this is a very good way for a company to control what it INITIALLY takes to start and play a game. After that, it seems pretty seamless...

Sure we as gamers pay for the game and companies should listen to us but, bottom line, they are concerned with making a profit and protecting their product as well...

Honestly, it's getting to where every thread about every game and every company is just a big bitch fest!

Terzo

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2005

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
The only complaint I have about this is PC gamers just getting slapped around more when there are fewer and fewer of us all the time...

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Do you intend to write Valve and demand they allow me to run Portal without having to use Steam?

i actually did, its why i never used steam and most likely never will. as it stands right now you dont have to run EAs service to play their games. you just have to register them on it. however that may change

not saying i like it i actually HATE the entire concept of steam and steam like services as well as GFWL and "the cloud"

Terzo

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2005
i actually did, its why i never used steam and most likely never will. as it stands right now you dont have to run EAs service to play their games. you just have to register them on it. however that may change

not saying i like it i actually HATE the entire concept of steam and steam like services as well as GFWL and "the cloud"

Too bad I doubt your letter will change anything...just like most of this complaining.

Honestly, I find it amusing. When a new game is coming out, the inevitable question is if it will require Steam. If the answer is yes, there tends to be a few outraged people, and a larger camp of people who generally dismiss the former's complaints.

Now the shoe is on the other foot; the game will not be offered on Steam, and I wouldn't be surprised if many of those who are complaining are the same who have told "steam haters" to cry me a river.

Not saying I see it here, it's mostly been on the developer / publisher forums of the game in question. And yes, I'm exaggerating the situation but my sentiments remain the same.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
i actually HATE the entire concept of steam and steam like services as well as GFWL and "the cloud"

You hate the concept of friends list, games being kept up-to-date, social networking site, and built in online store?

As for Ea having their own program, I really dont care. I just do not want to have to run half a dozen clients to play various games.. Once Origins launches, will blizzard launch a platform, or Bethesa, 2k games,,,,, and so on.

Personally, I like having an online store, games list, automatic updates and friends list all within a single program. I just do not want to have 2 or 3 programs with separate friends list on each client.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I like how in numerous other threads a lot of people will swear up and down they'll never support EA and never buy their games and the like, and yet here we are when they suddenly feel as though they won't be able to buy their games.

:awe:

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
The Crysis 2 removal was done by Steam, not EA, at least according to EA:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20071213-1/updated-eas-crysis-2-new-alice-game-gone-from-steam/

Easy to hate EA before actually looking for some answers.

Then again, maybe Steam is making an additional requirement for DLC? Like "any game that receives DLC post-launch needs to have this DLC available for the Steam version" and EA wanted to make some of the DLC Origin-exclusive? That's the only thing I could think of...

Terzo

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2005
You hate the concept of friends list, games being kept up-to-date, social networking site, and built in online store?

As for Ea having their own program, I really dont care. I just do not want to have to run half a dozen clients to play various games.. Once Origins launches, will blizzard launch a platform, or Bethesa, 2k games,,,,, and so on.

Personally, I like having an online store, games list, automatic updates and friends list all within a single program. I just do not want to have 2 or 3 programs with separate friends list on each client.

He probably hates the concept of licensing games rather than owning them.

As for the features...
Friends list: I suppose it's nice to have this integrated, but it's no draw for me. I used to just run an im client while playing a game. These days, I don't use instant messaging at all so this has no appeal to me.
Easy updates: Definitely a plus.
Social Networking: Meh.
Online Store: Again, meh.

You say you don't want to have to sign in to multiple clients to play your games. I feel similarly, except I don't want to have to sign into any game clients.

Last edited:

ahenkel

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2009
I will say this in defense of EA's new Orgin program. I don't have to keep it running like I do with steam. So once I've finished downloading a purchase I can exit it and still play the game.

Ross Ridge

Dec 21, 2009

Lets see... friends list and social networking site, well I can't say I hate them, but if I wanted Facebook I know where to find it. Bulit-in online store? Can't say I hate it either, but what benefit am I supposed to get from using Valve's WWW browser instead of the one I use every day? All it gives me is a smaller to window to browse the store with. Games being kept up-to-date is actually kind of annoying. I don't need games I'm not going to play in the next year or two downloading pointless updates.

Get an Xbox 360. Seriously, that's the kind of closed platform you're asking for.

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
I will say this in defense of EA's new Orgin program. I don't have to keep it running like I do with steam. So once I've finished downloading a purchase I can exit it and still play the game.

Not really:

http://help.origin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/52/kw/patch

Do I need Origin to play EA games on my PC?

Yes, you need Origin to play PC games you have purchased via Origin. In addition to enabling faster download of EA games, pre-loading, and game patch updates, Origin provides security for your downloadable games. Instead of inserting a disc in the drive, you simply login to Origin periodically to start your game. If you are already logged in to Origin, you won't be prompted to login before starting your game. As an added benefit, Origin's security enables you to install your game on up to three machines - so you can play at work and at home!

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
I don't need games I'm not going to play in the next year or two downloading pointless updates.

There is an option in the game properties under steam to disable automatic updates.

Get an Xbox 360. Seriously, that's the kind of closed platform you're asking for.

No, I am a pc gamer.

The only console I own is a wii. My son has a game cube that is close to 9 or 10 years old, and that is it for the consoles.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006

More or less what I do. I got fed up with PC gaming (still am) and only buy PC exclusives for the PC, and only through Steam. Being a PC gamer is too much of a headache.

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
Hmm I just tried playing NFS:shift, Mass Effect 1 and 2 and dead space and they all started just fine. All without the Origin program running. I didn't notice anything different than when I've had it running.

Did you buy them through Origin? Or did you just add your CD-Key to Origin?