Telephone assistance needed for the elderly, please help.

GtPrOjEcTX

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
My fiance's grandmother (86 years old) is pretty hard of hearing. When we call her she has a lot of trouble hearing the telephone. She doesn't want hearing aids. What can we get to make the phones ring louder or make some light flash when the phone rings? Is something like that available? If so, where can I get something like it.

We had quite the scare tonight as we kept calling and kept calling without answer. My fiance's mother drove over to make sure she was alright, and stayed the night. The problem? She didn't hear it ringing.

Dragon365

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2002
I know radioshack used to sell that kind of stuff, don't know if they do anymore.

Edit: These look like what you need

Try a medical supply place...you know, the type of place that sells diabetes equipment, wheelchairs, etc.

tm37

Lifer
Jan 24, 2001
You really should have her see an audiologist.

Many people are scared of hearing aids because of what they have seen people fo through and the "Lack of hearing they provide"

People with hearing loss don;t just need amplification "what many aids provide" the newer digital aids are very good at amplifing VOICE SOUNDS ONLY and not the noise or buzz we all hear.

Let me know where you are located and perhaps I can recommend an audiologist.

GtPrOjEcTX

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
thanks guys. these suggestions should work great.

btw, concerning the hearing aids...I'm told she doesn't have health insurance if you can believe that.

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: GtPrOjEcTX
thanks guys. these suggestions should work great.

btw, concerning the hearing aids...I'm told she doesn't have health insurance if you can believe that.

She can enroll in Medicare, and if she can't afford it, medicaid.

nater

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2001
I know we had some LOUDASS ringer from my grandma before she passed away. You can probably pick up some type of external ringer at walmart