Tekken 7 PC - anyone played it? (PC specs Q)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I have yet to purchase this game, maybe next month.

But I have a "competitive gamer" friend, that is debating getting the PC version, versus getting a PS4 (he has a PS3 currently) and getting the game for that platform.

I sold him a "Gaming Rig" in Feb. of this year, that he's going to be making payments on for two years. I'm charging him $600 for it in total.

It has a Z170 mobo, flashed for KBL compatibility, a G4560 CPU (3.5Ghz 2C/4T Pentium), a GTX950 2GB GDDR5 card, 16GB of DDR4-2400, a 240GB SSD, a BD-RE drive, and Windows 10 Home.

He has a 500GB WD Black on his older PC, that I thought that we could transfer over.

Anyways, he's on the fence (more like, "afraid") to purchase the PC version.

He kept bugging me to "come over and look at his PC", and tell him if it would play well on his machine.

I tried to explain that PC gaming can be a very subjective experience for the player, and that PC games, unlike consoles with their fixed hardware, can be scaled up or down as far as details and graphical fidelity, and hardware requirements.

Basically, he can compare his PC to the minimum and recommended requirements, and see if it "plays", but beyond that, he's just going to have to try it.

He said that he would be "angry" if it wouldn't play well on his PC, and he had to throw more money at it to upgrade the hardware to play the game.

Presumably, he was trying to get me to tell him that it would play "well", so that he could use me as a scapegoat, when his wireless internet from two floors up that he's borrowing, blips, and he loses a match.

Edit: BTW, the gaming rig wasn't originally built for playing T7, his original request was to be able to play KI. Then it became "streaming". Then it became T7.

At least, it IS upgradable, to an i7-7700K, if not CFL if ASRock pulls off one of their engineering marvels with their UEFI programming.

And a 1080ti.

But the only problem is $$$, my friend doesn't have a lot of it, and wastes more of it. (I don't have a lot of it either.)

Last edited:
Reactions: XSoldier77X

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Buy it on Steam, try it for 1 hour then request a refund it doesn't play well.

It looks to be around the minimum spec, which never really plays well IMO.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
It looks to be around the minimum spec, which never really plays well IMO.
Yeah... I was kind of thinking that too...

Care to spec out a PC that would play it really well, as in High detail or higher, at a steady 60FPS (locked) @ 1080P?

Would a GTX 1070 do that, or would he need a 1080 or 1080 ti?

What kind of CPU would be needed? i7-6700 (BCLK OCed), or i7-6700K or i7-7700K?

Wonder how Ryzen 1600X plays this game?

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/reviews/tekken-7-pc-review-1706889
Tekken 7 PC frame rate and image quality
On our test PC consisting of an Intel core i5 3470 at 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD, and an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 8GB, obtaining a fluid 60 frames per second at 1920x1080 (1080p) was easily achieved at Ultra settings. Ramping it up to 3840x2160 (4K) we saw a consistent 45 to 47fps with minor dips to the high 30s when special moves were being executed. Be it fur on characters like Panda, or the coat on the game’s central character Jin Kazuma, Tekken 7 looks good enough with very little out of place. Even the stages, ranging from the icy almost desolate Arctic Snowfall to Arena - a vibrant octagonal ring complete with a vociferous audience are graphically superb. However, the level of detail and difference between Tekken 7 PC at 4K and 1080p wasn’t tremendous and we found ourselves reverting to 1080p for a consistent 60fps experience.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/06/tekken-7-review-get-ready-for-the-next-good-pc-fighting-game/

ARS got their copy to scale down pretty well, according to the review.

I think that my friend will be in for a decent, if not "Mindblowing / 4K" experience.

Last edited:

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
Uh, tell your friend to grow some balls and buy it on steam, test it and if it runs fine, bingo. If not, return it on steam within 2 hours of gameplay. That is sure as hell cheaper than a $250+ PS4 plus $60 for the game. Also, PS4 (or any console) on wifi from 2 floors up, lolz.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Runs great on the g4560 but needs a better card then the 950,the 1050ti is just enough for 1080p/ultra

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Uh, tell your friend to grow some balls and buy it on steam, test it and if it runs fine, bingo. If not, return it on steam within 2 hours of gameplay. That is sure as hell cheaper than a $250+ PS4 plus $60 for the game. Also, PS4 (or any console) on wifi from 2 floors up, lolz.
Yeah, he told me earlier tonight, that he's just going to get the PS4 version, and a PS4.

One reason he mentioned, was the built-in streaming support.

(Though, I suspect that he hasn't really thought that part through, about streaming while borrowing wifi.)

Edit: Thanks for that YT vid, it looks like it actually plays pretty decently on a G4560 / GTX1050ti rig.

I linked my friend that vid. Maybe it will change his mind.

Last edited:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i know you are asking for specs, but tekken should really be played on a controller. it's like someone asking "can my PS3 run this FPS i want to play" and we would say "you need a mouse".

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
...xbox controller works on PC.

supposedly the game runs great on PC, but I haven't tried it for myself

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
Something like Tekken screams PS4; particularly if he's considering online play.
I've always found PC fighting games to be dismal for finding online matches.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
Sounds like an excuse to buy a ps4 really. At least my excuse a few months ago was that TheShow was a ps4 exclusive.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
maybe it's just me, but that looked awfully meh. Not nearly enough bang, blood, and boob :D

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
I used to compete in tournaments back in college during the Tekken Tag Tournament era. Tekken 7 is great, but sadly it's just passed me by. I can't dedicate the hours anymore to memorizing all the new combos and moves. The game itself seems brilliant though.

It has resolution scaling as well, most games with that will run great on mediocre hardware. But fighting games are all about the available competition... so I would think PS4 is the place you want to be for this title.

XSoldier77X

May 23, 2017
I have yet to purchase this game, maybe next month.

But I have a "competitive gamer" friend, that is debating getting the PC version, versus getting a PS4 (he has a PS3 currently) and getting the game for that platform.

Presumably, he was trying to get me to tell him that it would play "well", so that he could use me as a scapegoat, when his wireless internet from two floors up that he's borrowing, blips, and he loses a match.

Lol. Tell the guy PS4 has input lag compared to Xbox One, let alone PC. There are articles on it if he can dig them up. If he likes playing blame games, he'd rather import an arcade cabinet from japan. :D
PS never has been decent in offline response time. same was the case with sfiv on ps3 and then kof xiii where xbox was always the preferred version. same goes for online. xbox's online is better than ps4's while pc's online mode is better than xbox and ps combined, at least in terms of fighting games. though in tournaments like Evo, consoles are usually preferred and used because of convenience issues. Then there are arcade sticks and controllers... on top of it all, there's the television and it's response time. if you wanna play a fighter, you gotta make sure there is no lag whatsoever.