Tegra 3 refresh coming, 'Tegra 3+', In House LTE modem included

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by Bateluer, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Bateluer

Bateluer Lifer

Gee, its a good thing Nvidia will be able to make their own LTE modems for their Tegra chips before the end of the year, isn't it? Now, a working 28nm process from TSMC, and Tegra 3+ would be more than competitive until Tegra 4.

Then we can start this entire conversation all over again, about how Tegra 4 is weak and poor compared to chipsets 6 months after it on the road map. :p

2. alent1234

alent1234 Diamond Member

its still a long way from building a usable SoC and modem

my mom was looking at a smartphone last year and tegra 2 was off the list because it didn't work with Skype at the time because nvidia didn't include some feature into the CPU

lets see what kind of stunt they pull with tegra3+. they still have to write decent software for it

3. sontin

sontin Diamond Member

And yet Krait is beaten by another A9 QuadCore design in a Single/Dual-Thread application:
    [​IMG]
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/5810/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-performance-preview

4. Ararat

Ararat Member

5. sontin

sontin Diamond Member

I know. And i said this about Krait, too.
    But there are people who believed that the performance in Linpack/Sunspider/Vellamo would be the result of the cpu architecture.

Krait performs like A9. It will loose badly to A15 and will have no chance against the 28nm/32nm QuadCore A9 SoCs.

6. dagamer34

dagamer34 Platinum Member

I honestly wouldn't put any stock into that chart, as it actually disproves what you want it to prove. You want it to say "Krait sucks, Quad-core is better!" The problem is that the HTC One X should technically beat the Galaxy S III, since it's clocked at 1.5Ghz instead of 1.4Ghz, and yet it looses dramatically. I would not be surprised if Samsung's optimizations of the S4 make it far more competitive that this chart would have you believe.

Which brings me to my point, it is disingenuous to compare the SoC in one device with another SoC in different device, and then state "SoC X is clearly better than SoC Y, look at this chart!" Software HUGELY influences the performance of these devices, which is why the iPhone 4S is still competitive with all of the 1.2-1.5Ghz devices in that chart, despite being clocked at a paltry 800Mhz.

Or to make the example far more obvious, why is the 600Mhz Cortex A8 CPU in the iPhone 3GS (from 2009) even remotely competitive with the dual-core 1.2-1.5Ghz Snapdragon S3 in the HTC Sensation 4G (from 2011)? Software.

#131 dagamer34, May 4, 2012
    Last edited: May 4, 2012
  7. poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy Lifer

I would be surprised if Samsung optimized for the S4, since they did not optimize for Qualcomm SGS2s.

8. dagamer34

dagamer34 Platinum Member

See this image from Engadget: http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/11/benchmarkspng.png

HTC Rezound Review: http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/15/atandt-galaxy-note-review/

A few benchmarks are within the margin of error, but the Skyrocket gets almost 1000 more points in Quadrant and 17 more MFLOPS in Linpack even though they use the same exact CPU. That's all software optimization right there. (I ignore the Nenmark scores because the Rezound has a higher screen resolution).

9. poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy Lifer

Quadrant is also very screen-resolution dependent and Linpack is a pile of crap on Android.

Optimization would happen in the browser, and they didn't do that for the Qualcomm SGS2 like they did with Exynos units. Look at the Sunspider scores.

10. Bateluer

Bateluer Lifer

You guys will poo poo any benchmark that doesn't show your SoC in favorable light. Quadrant is bad, unless it shows your cpu beating the competition. Linpack is bad because it shows your hated cpu on top. Sunspider is all browser, and any scores are a waste, until your cpu is on top.

This thread was supposed to be about Nvidia refreshing the Tegra 3 to over come its shortcomings. On 28nm and with an lte modem, its a perfectly competitive chip.

11. poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy Lifer

That is more a reflection of the poor mobile benchmarks of our era.

I'll agree with that.

12. stormkroe

stormkroe Golden Member

does anyone know the plan on t3+ gpu-wise?
    Also,
    roflwut?

13. fstime

fstime Diamond Member

Too all you people posting benchmarks: You can sit there and tell me with a straight face that the phone experience (real world, not pointless benchmarks) going from a One X to a SGSIII is as dramatic as your little bar graph?

ROFL, Apples phones have been butter smooth for the past 2 years and Androids not to far after that (as long as bloat is removed).

Less of your kind and pushing for excessive 8-core phones and and we might have had decent battery life on Android sooner.

14. ITHURTSWHENIP

ITHURTSWHENIP Senior member

I think Wayne (Tegra 4) is going to be a completely different beast than we have seen before from Nvidia. If you think about it, why would they spend a lot of R&D money on a powerful SOC when it wont get any real design wins anyway because of the radio issue? With Icera in the package they will get a lot more design wins for android phones, add in W8OA tablets and Nvidia can spend more money on their SOC without fear of losing on the deal