Ted Stevens (AK Senator) indicted on 7 charges

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Mursilis
Originally posted by: Robor
Originally posted by: ChrisFromNJ
The culture of corruption in the politics must stop.

Fixed.

Good fix. But corruption won't ever be rooted out. Politics is inherently corrupting. Giving further power to gov't only feeds the corruption.

how about we just do a good ol fashion spring cleaning?

take out the old dirty rugs and whack em around a little bit? :)

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

Fixed.

Good fix. But corruption won't ever be rooted out. Politics is inherently corrupting. Giving further power to gov't only feeds the corruption.

Wrong. Government can be a tool for corruption or for fighting corruption. The denial that there is corruption outside of government that government can fight is quite dangerous.

It's as if the right wing thinks that a return to the people being far worse off under unchecked concentrated private wealth and power is not a problem.

The only thing that is much threat to the feudalistic type concentration of wealth and power is the vote, and as poorly as it's been used for a while, that's still the case.

Our danger isn't in the government becoming a left-wing dictatorial system, which tends to happen form poverty as in Cuba, but of the government becoming slave to the wealthy.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Craig234
The denial that there is corruption outside of government that government can fight is quite dangerous.

Dangerous thoughts, eh? Sounds like big government.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001

Fixed.

Wrong. Government can be a tool for corruption or for fighting corruption. The denial that there is corruption outside of government that government can fight is quite dangerous.

I never denied there was corruption outside of gov't. As usual Craig234 you're busy creating strawmen you can knock around.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
This is another good example of the problem with the earlier corruption of the Justice Department under Rove and Gonzales.

Pressuring prosecutors not to investigate Republicans, and to charge innocent Democrats.

Under their system, this guy may well not have been indicted, and if he was, the prosecutor may have been terminated, as the prosecutor of Randy Cunningham was.

And would the public be any the wiser? Probably not.

And who investigated the corruption of the Justice Department for what they did to those seven US Attorneys and created the pressure that forced Gonzales out? The Democrats.

It wasn't getting hearings under the Republicans, and the Republicans constantly attacked the hearings the Democrats did.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes...orruption-case/?ref=us

"The sprawling federal investigation that began more than four years ago has ensnared several local and state officials, as well as federal officials. The Anchorage Daily News has a breakdown of those who have been charged and/or convicted."

Alberto Gonzales was Att Gen 4 years ago. I'm not saying he isn't an incompetent fool, but the dems had zero to do with this one, or rather, they did nothing more than any republican, and since the republicans were in complete charge from 00-06, this event was organized, conducted, and ultimately prosecuted by republicans.

I have zero doubt there are as many corrupt dems as there are reps.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Nebor
The denial that there is corruption outside of government that government can fight is quite dangerous.

Dangerous thoughts, eh? Sounds like big government.

You ideologues are just missing the concept - the government doesn't have to be 'big', which you are so terrified of, only big enough to represent the public interest against the powerful; the issue is more whether it does so, or whether it becomes a representative OF the powerful against the public. Currently, it's a mix of the two, IMO. But all you can talk about is big government - without any clue why the government gets bigger when the 'small government' guys get elected.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: jonks
This is another good example of the problem with the earlier corruption of the Justice Department under Rove and Gonzales.

Pressuring prosecutors not to investigate Republicans, and to charge innocent Democrats.

Under their system, this guy may well not have been indicted, and if he was, the prosecutor may have been terminated, as the prosecutor of Randy Cunningham was.

And who investigated the corruption of the Justice Department for what they did to those seven US Attorneys and created the pressure that forced Gonzales out? The Democrats.

It wasn't getting hearings under the Republicans, and the Republicans constantly attacked the hearings the Democrats did.

"The sprawling federal investigation that began more than four years ago has ensnared several local and state officials, as well as federal officials. The Anchorage Daily News has a breakdown of those who have been charged and/or convicted."

Alberto Gonzales was Att Gen 4 years ago. I'm not saying he isn't an incompetent fool, but the dems had zero to do with this one, or rather, they did nothing more than any republican, and since the republicans were in complete charge from 00-06, this event was organized, conducted, and ultimately prosecuted by republicans.

Your point is right on - I'm saying that this is the *type of* issue that the Gonzales corruption is a problem for.

He was not 100% able to totally corrupt the department; Cunningham did get convicted, there's a reason they got rid of the seven US Attorneys.

The point is that sometimes they *did* corrupt the process, and the Stevens investigation is the type of prosecution that's at risk from that corruption.

We don't know how many Republicans did not get investigates by US Attorneys who were less corrupted.

But we do know, IIRC, that investigations of democrats numbers over 600 while republicans numbered over 200. I doubt the gap was simply based on the facts.

I disagree, but am not going to try to get into the long list of facts with you at the moment. It's not the point for this thread anyway. But Dems have had big corruption, too.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

Your point is right on - I'm saying that this is the *type of* issue that the Gonzales corruption is a problem for.

He was not 100% able to totally corrupt the department; Cunningham did get convicted, there's a reason they got rid of the seven US Attorneys.

The point is that sometimes they *did* corrupt the process, and the Stevens investigation is the type of prosecution that's at risk from that corruption.

We don't know how many Republicans did not get investigates by US Attorneys who were less corrupted.

But we do know, IIRC, that investigations of democrats numbers over 600 while republicans numbered over 200. I doubt the gap was simply based on the facts.

I'm sure it wasn't, but I'd be interested to know dem/rep ratio under previous administrations.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Longest-Serving Senator in His Party

Awesome. I wonder how soon we can smear the entire GOP party with this?

in fairness, didn't the longest serving democratic senator like found the KKK or something?

Dec 10, 2005
Originally posted by: loki8481

in fairness, didn't the longest serving democratic senator like found the KKK or something?

In fairness, the parties had reversed positions at the time, where today's Democrats are more like the Republicans at time the KKK was founded.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

Oh but he has repent in his ways, dont you remember?

Anyways dealmonkey is embarassing in his reponse.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004

I have zero doubt will be are as many corrupt dems as there are reps.

fixed.

people get more corrupt over time and the longer they stay in office I doubt the democrats are nearly as bad right now, but in 6-10 years, i definitely wouldn't rule it out.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

The KKK was primarily founded by the Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest after the end of the Civil War. In its earliest inception, the KKK was basically the anti-occupation guerrilla army of the post-Confederate South.
Yes, Democrats figured prominently in it, but also remember that Lincoln and the northern liberals were all Republicans back then (Lincoln's Republican party was new, radical, and very liberal). The parties have done a complete reversal since then, most notably in the South.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
No reply from whozyerdaddy yet? He's probably still in the bar celebrating this!

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Brainonska511

In fairness, the parties had reversed positions at the time, where today's Democrats are more like the Republicans at time the KKK was founded.

so what you're saying is, Ted Stevens is really a democrat? :p

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
The justice department should have jailed Stevens and his sons years ago. But not under GWB&co.

If anything, the Justice department will now bring charges and GWB will pardon Stevens&sons.

If the justice departments snoozes, an Obama justice department will likely award a very lengthy jail sentence to Stevens&sons. At best, Stevens senior will escape jail by finking on his own sons.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Lemon law
The justice department should have jailed Stevens and his sons years ago. But not under GWB&co.

Again, the investigation began 4 years ago, when Reps were in solid control of congress and the presidency. The DoJ is an executive branch and the prosecution taking place now is under the direction of the republicans in charge.

Refusing to credit hard working people who spent years of their lives building a case just because they are likely members of an opposing political party is pretty base.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Duwelon
There is no more lawful, peaceful group of people in the USA than people who listen to Hannity, Rush or O'reily, none. Liberal institutions are corrupt with violence and crime. Take our education system for example, what success has liberalism had there? Violent crimes in public schools are through the roof.

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
Whup dee doo guy gets a new grill, Barack and Dodd get cheap loans. All politicians do shit like this, why is anyone surprised?