Ted Kennedy rushed to hospital for stroke *update: malignant brain tumor*

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I dunno, comparing Kennedy to L. Bush is sort of an apples vs oranges comparisons, or is it Librarians vs Drunks.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Just watching the news. WTF!!! Is sheets Byrd blind? His nose is a couple inches from his speech notes and he still couldn't read/speak them - let alone understand half of what he said. Sheesh.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
Just watching the news. WTF!!! Is sheets Byrd blind? His nose is a couple inches from his speech notes and he still couldn't read/speak them - let alone understand half of what he said. Sheesh.

If you're talking about Senator Robert Byrd, he's 90 years old. You can only hope you're that active and aware if you reach his age.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
What was that thing they gave the head of the CIA to give him a brain tumor so he wouldn't have to testify in front of Congress?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Harvey

If you're talking about Senator Robert Byrd, he's 90 years old. You can only hope you're that active and aware if you reach his age.

Sure, but why is he still in office? Clearly his effectiveness is compromised by his frailty. But whatever... they are just hillbillies in that state.....;) Just thought I'd make note of another person who's spend way too much time in DC and it shows...

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
Originally posted by: LTC8K6
Ted was almost 40.

Laura had just turned 17.

Huge difference right there.

16+ = adult.

But I guess when it comes to republicans then we should make it 17+ oh.. I mean 18+ yea that works. :roll:

So at 42 I can fuck the shit out of my neighbor's daughter and not get prosecuted?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
this is my inner wonk speaking, but I wonder if this will provide cover for Hillary to drop out after tonight.

she could conceivably say that she needs to suspend campaigning because, with Ted in the hospital, her presence is needed in washington to help maintain the democrats non-majority majority in the senate (49:49:2 in a full senate, 46:48:2 with hillary, barack, and mccain on the trail and kennedy out of commission)

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

Sure, but why is he still in office? Clearly his effectiveness is compromised by his frailty. But whatever... they are just hillbillies in that state.....;) Just thought I'd make note of another person who's spend way too much time in DC and it shows...

You sound like an ass for your comments IMO, but I'll say that Sen. Byrd appeared to be the most effective Senator speaking on the authorization for force in Iraq resolution in 2002.

You confuse his physical frailty with his vast abilities as a Senator. My post is like trying to teach a pig to sing, but the tripe you posted should probably not stand unanswered.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Craig234

You sound like an ass for your comments IMO, but I'll say that Sen. Byrd appeared to be the most effective Senator speaking on the authorization for force in Iraq resolution in 2002.

You confuse his physical frailty with his vast abilities as a Senator. My post is like trying to teach a pig to sing, but the tripe you posted should probably not stand unanswered.

:roll: Whatever. I'll state what I see and think regardless of your sensitivities. It doesn't matter though, because he HAS spent too much time there - just like I stated. He probably should have left an election or two ago.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: b0mbrman
One of my favorite, albeit recent, memories of Sen. Kennedy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdl86KNkt_M
Very nice. He can't sing worth crap, but that doesn't stop him. If that is the last thing I ever see on Kennedy then at least it will be a positive thing.

Sad to the see the last of the Kennedy brothers dying like this. Seems like Rose was the only person in that family to die of old age, what a shame.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
My deepest condolences to Senator Kennedy and his family.

My father-in-law died of inoperable brain cancer. It's not a pretty sight for the family.

Like him or hate him, he was a good senator, and represented the people in his district well for over 40 years. If he was a bad senator, they wouldn't have re-elected him time and time again...

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: BoomerD

My father-in-law died of inoperable brain cancer. It's not a pretty sight for the family.

Like him or hate him, he was a good senator, and represented the people in his district well for over 40 years. If he was a bad senator, they wouldn't have re-elected him time and time again...

So I guess you'l stop bashing Ted Stevens now? :confused:

Anyway... It's a sad way to go. Nobody should have to endure this.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005

No... he mainly got re-elected b/c he is a Kennedy but more importantly b/c he is Irish Catholic.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy

Who? heh-heh...I don't recall ever bashing Alaska's "Bridge to Nowhere" senator. I may have disagreed with some of the pork he's brought home, but I don't think I've ever bashed him...(does he deserve bashing? ;)

Originally posted by: spittledip
No... he mainly got re-elected b/c he is a Kennedy but more importantly b/c he is Irish Catholic.

So what's your point? Are you saying the people in Massachucetts didn't have the opportunity to vote for someone else? Or that somehow, being a Kennedy he was immune from challenges to the office? How does being Irish-Catholic play into this? I used to live in Massachucetts, and there weren't a lot of Irish-Catholics where we lived...some, I'm sure, but more Italian-Catholics than Irish ones. Maybe being Irish-Catholic meant that God threw the election for him? Is that what you're saying?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Nebor
Just God's way of microstamping his brain as defective.

Wow, what a no-class, tasteless post. You make yourself look even worse than usual.

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004

Guess you'll get colon cancer since you're full crap. Said in jest, I really have no idea if you're full of crap or not.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000

I knew I smelled a turd before I opened this thread :thumbsdown:

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy

Who? heh-heh...I don't recall ever bashing Alaska's "Bridge to Nowhere" senator. I may have disagreed with some of the pork he's brought home, but I don't think I've ever bashed him...(does he deserve bashing? ;)

So what's your point? Are you saying the people in Massachucetts didn't have the opportunity to vote for someone else? Or that somehow, being a Kennedy he was immune from challenges to the office? How does being Irish-Catholic play into this? I used to live in Massachucetts, and there weren't a lot of Irish-Catholics where we lived...some, I'm sure, but more Italian-Catholics than Irish ones. Maybe being Irish-Catholic meant that God threw the election for him? Is that what you're saying?

I am from Mass, although not living there currently. The Irish catholics vote for him b/c he is Irish Catholic just like they are. They represent half the state so those votes pretty much seal the deal. You lived in Mass and didn't know this? How long did you live there? And don't pretend like there isn't an appeal to having the Kennedy name, ESPECIALLY in Mass.

edit: I find it amazing and silly that some one would have trouble believing that people of an established group would vote for a member of their group based primarily on that reason. It isn't like there aren't a ton of blacks who are going to vote for Obama b/c he is black. People like to feel that their group is represented in the closest way possible. And i am not making a statement about competence of individuals in office, i am just stating how things work.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

I am from Mass, although not living there currently. The Irish catholics vote for him b/c he is Irish Catholic just like they are. They represent half the state so those votes pretty much seal the deal. You lived in Mass and didn't know this? How long did you live there? And don't pretend like there isn't an appeal to having the Kennedy name, ESPECIALLY in Mass.

edit: I find it amazing and silly that some one would have trouble believing that people of an established group would vote for a member of their group based primarily on that reason. It isn't like there aren't a ton of blacks who are going to vote for Obama b/c he is black. People like to feel that their group is represented in the closest way possible. And i am not making a statement about competence of individuals in office, i am just stating how things work.

I grew up in Springfield, Mass until 1964. We lived in a predominately Italian neigborhood. YES, there were Irish people there, but not many in our area. (of course, I was just a kid when we left, so I admit I didn't know the demographics of the entire town, just my neighborhood...2 Irish families in the neighborhood. Nearly everyone else was Italian...many related to each other in one way or another.

Do I find it odd that a group would support "one of their own?" Hell no. In fact, I attribute that very thing to Obama's success in this election cycle. Black people are voting for him for no other reason than because he is Black. The Kennedy name is indeed powerful there. No argument.
My point was that he was re-elected by his constituents, not placed there by the Almighty. The citizenry had the opportunity to replace him if they felt he wasn't doing a good job.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

You are a sad little man.

Painman

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2000
Ted Kennedy won re-election here in MA in 2006 vs. Republican challenger Ken Chase by a margin of 70-30.

That's a bit more than a bunch of Irish Catholics coming out to vote for him.

Ted's an asshole for his "NIMBY" attitude towards the Cape Wind project, but by and large, MA residents of all walks of life want him in the US Senate representing them.

If he should find himself unable to continue his senatorial duties due to his illness, wingnut haters of him ought to consider themselves forewaned: In a special election, we're damn likely to draft someone like Barney Frank into the Senate to replace him.

He already represents the general area including the Boston 'burb of Brookline, so his support in the Hub may be quite strong. The masses of DFH's out in South Vermont would flock to him just to stick it to the GOP on general principle.