Ted Kennedy Calls Bush Minority Nominees 'Neanderthals'

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The Dems concern with Estrada mirror concerns over Clarence Thomas- Republican Tokenism usurping real activism, a few figureheads taking the place of honest equality. Modern Republicans have done zilch for minorities, other than put a few in high visibility positions. It's like the Bush Roadmap to peace for Palestine, basic bait and switch, lots of sanctimonious handwringing and deft sidestepping.

So what if Miguel Estrada sits on the SCOTUS while basic workplace and housing protections are denied, Blacks and Latinos redistricted into minority voting district ghettos?

AAman

Golden Member
May 29, 2001
Neandertals? I've known Neandertals, and these guys are no Neandertals ;)

They're much farther down the evolutionary chain, more like the bacteria
added to settlement ponds to digest human feces

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: AAman

Not hardly!
Brown is on the Cal state supreme court with a 76% of the vote. They are sharp judges (justice) and are really the cream of the crop. They are simply unable to find the rights in the constitution as easily as others. Scalia comes to mind as does Thomas..
I'd rather the rights be enumerated in an Amendment so it is clear for all and then let the Republicans nominate and pass who they may.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: AAman

Not hardly!
Brown is on the Cal state supreme court with a 76% of the vote. They are sharp judges (justice) and are really the cream of the crop. They are simply unable to find the rights in the constitution as easily as others. Scalia comes to mind as does Thomas..
I'd rather the rights be enumerated in an Amendment so it is clear for all and then let the Republicans nominate and pass who they may.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
How Ted cemented filibuster

From reading the memos myself - I agree(as a whole - not wholly) with this guy's take on the memos. I haven't had a chance to entirely scour and sort the memos but I have read them in their entirety atleast 3 times. From what I'm digested - it was a pretty orchestrated campaign.

CkG

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY

From reading the memos myself - I agree(as a whole - not wholly) with this guy's take on the memos. I haven't had a chance to entirely scour and sort the memos but I have read them in their entirety atleast 3 times. From what I'm digested - it was a pretty orchestrated campaign.

CkG

Does it really matter that it was orchestrated? I mean, of course it was. Would it be better somehow if they all just decided to filibuster one day out of the blue?

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
BDawg
This is not a racial issue, this isn't any sort of issue. Kennedy doesn't like some of Bush's nominees, he thinks they're incompetent, ie. Neanderthals.

well that is funny the same paragraph it goes on to say Estrada was the most Dangerous because he is a latino.:Q

the Dems really got their balls caught in this one.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY

CkG

Does it really matter that it was orchestrated? I mean, of course it was. Would it be better somehow if they all just decided to filibuster one day out of the blue?

Teddy and the "group" pressured Leahy and set out to "change" the minds of those who weren't ready to use obstructionist tactics. I'd really love to see how those "talks" went down:p

I made the comment because it shows that there are special interest groups that are pulling the strings and driving this. Now again - that doesn't mean I think that there are special interests involved on other things and on the other "side" but that doesn't excuse this.;)

CkG