[TechPowerUp] No Takers for VR: TechPowerUp New GPU Survey

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kaesden

Nov 10, 2015
It'll be interesting to see how many PS4 users adopt VR once PSVR is out

I'll give you a hint... how many hardware addon's have ever been successful for a console in gaming history? Segacd, 32x, the memory expansion for N64, ps eye, kinect, ps move... i mean really, nothing has ever succeeded in a way that i'd call mass market or mainstream. PSVR will likely be no different. Niche market at best, as VR is likely to end up. A niche product and not much more.

This is just my opinion and I could be wrong of course, but i doubt it. Time will tell.

topmounter

Aug 3, 2010
Not surprising.

I did VR demos at CES and NAB this year and I am seriously glad I didn't jump on the VR-bandwagon yet. While the immersion aspect is impressive, the image quality that I saw with both the Rift and Vive killed any enthusiasm that I might have had for this generation of hardware. I'm happy to wait for next-gen hardware, AAA game titles and for the industry to sort out the control and movement schemes for VR.

Meanwhile I'll spend my $$$ on a FreeSync QHD gaming panel and P10 video card. While price is a factor, the main reason I'm not targeting UHD resolutions is because its still pretty far out on the price/performance curve and it still isn't clear when a single-card solution will be reality (the 1080 seems to be a likely candidate, but we won't really know until we see independent benchmarks across a variety of titles).

Last edited:

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I tried the vive today, super awsome. Yes, fidelity would be better with 2x4k screens, but it is still so fantastic immersive its borderline stupid. The 3D we were promised with the movies and tellies... this is it and then some.
I reserved one on the spot and put down the deposit, will arrive at the end of june.
VR may not get a big bang right now but it sure as hell is not going anywhere. It is here to stay and adoptation will increase. It is so cool that i cannot see it fade away.

Armsdealer

May 10, 2016
You're all going to look back in 5 years and wonder what you were thinking.

Obviously the benefit of a particular technology is subjective, and ultimately it's the aggregation of the masses' subjective analysis of the benefits that determines whether or not the technology receives widespread adoption.

However, looking at VR only *today* and deciding that based on your own subjective analysis of its benefits *today* it's going to be a success or failure is simply naïve.

In <5 years these headsets are only going to be somewhat more cumbersome than sunglasses, and the cost of the technology is going to be probably around 1/5th of what it is today. At that point does the immersive benefit outweigh the costs? In my opinion the answer is a resounding YES.

I don't think anyone will claim that the technology is going to get WORSE over the next 5 years and even today there are a group of individuals who have tried VR and will never go back to gaming on a 2D display. Let me assure you that number isn't going to go DOWN over 5 years, and I don't think anyone who tried Kinect or Wii or 3D TV would have said it's the only way going forward they intend to enjoy entertainment.

nenforcer

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2008
HTC Vive has really surprised me they have obviously worked closely with Valve in its development. I'm also glad Oculus got into Best Buy I look forward to trying it in person for free before making a decision. However, I will probably also wait for Sony Playstation VR and this new Google VR Headset about to be announced before making a VR purchases.

pj-

May 5, 2015
Thanks for the report. Vive would be a no-go for me, I'd be worried about stepping on my dog or crashing into a bookcase or something with the Vive, so what I'm most interested in are first person sitdown games on the Rift.

I got my vive yesterday and my dog was very confused about it. She never got in my way but every time I activated the front facing camera she was nearby and looked worried. I think animals will quickly learn to stay out of the way when someone is vring. Room scale is the most immersive kind of vr but there will always be room for sitting games for the times you don't want to get sweaty

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
They could have done 2k x 4k screens no problem, but the GPU hardware wasn't there. That holds for 4k monitors as well unless one uses SLI or CF.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
While I get the desire for higher res, it isn't an issue for the Rift or Vive. There are other things I'd like to happen before I care if I see 4k. Opinions being opinions, there's a certain point where you are either using to enjoy, or simply being a bit too picky. There is nothing 'wrong' with the current resolution because once you are in and actually using it. The cables, and the limited space are the bigger issues than resolution.

Most people I konw have no clue about VR, until I show them and everyone of them is blown away by it. My guess is that is the reason the #'s are so low, no one is exposed to them except the techy people. And many of those techy people are jaded and cynical. I was, I took a leap (got both) and I am a believer now. This is a game changer. I'd pick this over a 4k monitor any day. Eventually they'll get there, but as said, the entry level for graphics power would have been way too high. Right now I can use a 290x with no issues.