[techpowerup] ASUS GTX 670 DirectCU Mini 2 GB Review

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
That's a lot of GPU power for the size. Great card for restricted spaces.

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Once again, about time! The 670 PCB was 7" to begin with... everyone just keeps on stacking these huge coolers on top instead of fitting it with a regular cooler... which shouldn't be a problem considering the low TDP of a 670.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Well the HD4850 had a single slot cooler, but it's hard to find modern cards which use less power with a single slot cooler.

Generally people seem to be going with dual slot massively long coolers, even when the PCB is short and they don't put out that much heat.

Sometimes a small card would be nice, at least as an option.

notty22

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2010
I like the unique part on the back, I want one on my neck. "We are the Borg"
DirectPower" thingie
directpower1_small.jpg

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
I like the unique part on the back, I want one on my neck. "We are the Borg"
DirectPower" thingie
directpower1_small.jpg

Looks like a fancy heatsink for a FET or something.

Nevermind.

ASUS installed a "DirectPower" thingie on the back of the card—actually just a piece of copper that's connected to ground. It acts as shielding against EMI interference, but I doubt it has much of an effect on everyday use. I don't doubt that an oscilloscope could measure some kind of improvement.

It's a piece of metal.

Feb 19, 2009
Cute but way overpriced, even in the niche mitx setups, theres plenty of great cases that can fit 9' cards no problems, and some that fit even longer, while being overall tiny cases.

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Cute but way overpriced, even in the niche mitx setups, theres plenty of great cases that can fit 9' cards no problems, and some that fit even longer, while being overall tiny cases.

The price is what miffs me, but you are paying for a custom heatsink and PCB. Although a reference 670 with a H50/similar would cost less than the DCU-m and still perform better thermally.

JAG87

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Not as quiet as the full 670 direct cu, but wow, look at that idle power consumption... just wow.

Simply ideal for a mini-itx gamign HTPC.