Team Fortress 2 class achievements/enhancements. What are your suggestions?

Capitalizt

Banned
Nov 28, 2004
I think it would be good to compile a list of ideas to send to Valve for their next round of TF2 character enhancements.

I only have one idea.. For the spy, give him the option to attach a special sapper to enemy sentries that converts them into a friendly sentry. After sapping the enemy gun for ten seconds, it will reconfigure it to a friendly gun and start shooting your enemies. ;)

To compensate for this ability, the new sapper would have a recharge time, unlike zero second recharge for the current one.

What do yall think?

Do you have any ideas for the other classes?

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
that spy sapper thing, no, too powerful

my favorite idea I have read so far is allow the spy to exchange his normal disguise to a dispenser disguise

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Soldiers should get 500 health and always fire crits. That will put them on par with the pyro and the faceburner.

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
Being a longtime Pyro player I'm pretty disappointed with the pyro updates.

The compression blast is a very nice addition. On the offense side it allows a partial clear of demo bombtraps and an occasional deflected rocket during a charge forward. On the defensive side it's awesome for slowing down or breaking up an uber charge.

The backburner though sucks. Bad. It has this tiny area of effect. You have to be lined up within ~15 degrees of the back of someone for it to crit. If you can get in that position you're going to be able to get very close and get high damage anyway so what's the point? Very little benefit. It also seems like I never get forward facing crits any longer. I wonder if this somehow got inadvertently bugged out?

The added 50 health still leaves the pyro very low compared to the soldier who still retains the range advantage. It's a tossup if the 50 health is worth losing the compression. I've earned the backburner achievement but I find myself more and more not using it.

The flaregun is kinda nifty. It's good to at least distract those that have a huge range advantage on you. Since the shotgun is your only underwater weapon, using the flaregun leaves you as helpless as a kitten if you fall in the water.

What I would like to see: Leave the compression blast on the backburner OR allow the 50 health without having to use the backburner once you get the achievement.

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Capitalizt
I think it would be good to compile a list of ideas to send to Valve for their next round of TF2 character enhancements.

I only have one idea.. For the spy, give him the option to attach a special sapper to enemy sentries that converts them into a friendly sentry. After sapping the enemy gun for ten seconds, it will reconfigure it to a friendly gun and start shooting your enemies. ;)

To compensate for this ability, the new sapper would have a recharge time, unlike zero second recharge for the current one.

What do yall think?

Do you have any ideas for the other classes?

That's pretty powerful but an interesting idea.

What about if the sapper takes 5 seconds to place, 10 seconds to activate (give engineer time to pop it off) and pulls you out of disguise when you first start placing it?

Having a sapper that removes the ammo from a sentry might be a better idea.

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
Originally posted by: narreth
the sniper needs something better at close range

Valve is looking for ideas that enhance strengths while leaving weaknesses in place. It's much easier to maintain class balance this way.

For instance adding a large blast plate to the front of a heavy's chaingun. It would make him more survivable without a medic yet leave his weaknesses in place: an even slower rate of turn, and still vulnerable to the popped head from the sniper.

For the sniper it would be funny to see something that causes enemy heads to balloon up in size (to the sniper's viewpoint) if you hover your crosshairs near them for long.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
The soldier needs some beefing up. While they are capable at killing individuals, they run out of ammo really quick and reload slow. On my regular server, there is very rarely a soldier (or scout) at the top of the scoreboard. They aren't very good with crowds either. I say give them a rocket launcher with a better blast radius; how about a one shot, slow reload thing like the flare gun to balance it out. The demo might not shoot as straight, but in 10 seconds he can spam 12 grenades without reloading.

Engineer could use an anti-uber device. Ya, it's one of their weaknesses, but even with a dispenser behind me (which is rare nowadays), there's no way to keep a gun alive with an uber pyro/heavy. At least with a demo, I can shotgun the stickies away (saved a lot of guns by doing this). Maybe a temporary 5 second uber for the gun that recharges really slow or that takes up metal.

That or make an un-uber one shot pistil/jamming device. This could actually work really well. It's retarded sometimes when 4 ubered people (including medics) run in, and you can't do much. One effective anti-uber right now is the pyro air thing, but it's hard to stay alive while doing that. The most effective anti-uber is to put down 3+ stickies and wait for either the medic or player to step on it, then blast them across the map. Unfortunately, I once blasted a pyro away, who proceeded to capture the flag...

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
The soldier unlock is an easy an obvious one IMHO.
Damage free rocket jumping. Call it a propellant shot and put it on the right mouse button. It would add fun to the game and strengthen the class without upsetting any other game balance. I'm big on this idea.

My other ideas are a bit weak IMHO:

Engineer:
Do what some mods have done. Let Engineers drop ammo packs with their spare metal.
A buildable proximity alarm against spies would be nice.

Sniper:
A "tactical stance": You're fixed in a zoomed + squating position. You have full charge on every shot without having to wait. It would have to take a few seconds to get into this position and a few seconds to get out of it. This would capitalize on a sniper strength while leaving their big weaknesses: getting a move on after the shot, and avoiding other snipers.

A baloon-head scope would be fun too :)

Demoman:
Landmines. (aka proximity stickes that are floor only and do not have to be manually detonated). Make them fairly easy to clear by any class if spotted.

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
Engineers:

What about building a component onto another engineer's sentry gun in leiu of being able to build your own?

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: skace
Soldiers should get 500 health and always fire crits. That will put them on par with the pyro and the faceburner.

the backburner has its disadvantages.

obvious example - cannot blow away stickies or deflect incoming rockets.

less used example - cannot be used to blow back enemies on capture points. i capped dustbowl stage1 point2 by rushing with a medic (starting to cap) and blowing people back while the medic healed me and capped at the same time. if i had had a backburner, there would have been 3 pyros lighting me up.

GundamSonicZeroX

Platinum Member
Oct 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
i capped dustbowl stage1 point2 by rushing with a medic (starting to cap) and blowing people back while the medic healed me and capped at the same time. if i had had a backburner, there would have been 3 pyros lighting me up.

Yeah, I had an experience similar to that. I was defending the middle point in the train crossing, There was an engie and a soldier standing on our point, I was alone with no allies anywhere on that section of the map, so I had to defend the point myself. I jumped onto the point, burned the engie, blew him off, having him burn to death, and blew the soldier out in front of a train. If I had the backraper... er, backburner, I would've been dead.

tranceport

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
www.thesystemsengineer.com
Engineer: Sentry Legs. Turns your sentry into an RC "mech" sentry that you can control remotely. When it dies you die. Dies in water. Maybe make this an achievement that is a weapon upgrade.
Engineer: Achievement that makes your buildings not able to be destroyed by fire.
Engineer: Achievement that gives you a new uber dropping sentry. This sentry has to be selected like any other weapon upgrade and removes your normal sentry from being able to be built.
Engineer: Achievement to increase sentry range. double would be awesome.

Heavy: Charge medic ubers 10-15% faster to increase medic/heavy teams

Solder: 1 or 2 more rockets in rocket launcher or increase splash range or damage of splash or reduce splash range damage dropoff.

Just a few cool things I'd like to see.

coreyb

Platinum Member
Aug 12, 2007
It seems people don't really know how to use the pyro properly. I've started to use it almost as much as my soldier and can do really well with it.

The key is and always has been surprise but now you have more health and more crits using the backburner. But the most important update IMO is the new axe. I have came in 1st many many times just settings a bunch of people on fire by surprise then quickly busting out the axe to finish them off. I can even kill heavies now as long as I can get two swings in. Why no mention of the axe? It is arguably the best update to the pyro now if you know how to melee.

So basically the pyro has definately been upgraded to deal a lot more dmg and people still have a problem with that? you might want to look at how your play style with the pyro, you have to pick your fights and spots properly.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
Originally posted by: skace

the backburner has its disadvantages.

obvious example - cannot blow away stickies or deflect incoming rockets.

less used example - cannot be used to blow back enemies on capture points. i capped dustbowl stage1 point2 by rushing with a medic (starting to cap) and blowing people back while the medic healed me and capped at the same time. if i had had a backburner, there would have been 3 pyros lighting me up.

The blow away really is good. I like ot think that I avoided many deaths by running at big groups, setting them on fire, then blowing them back while I hauled ass. No way I could have lived with an extra 50 health. The same goes for blowing rockets and grenades back, as does completely screwing up an enemy uber rush. However, in the back of my mind, there is something about the 'sure thing' of the extra 50 health, and the added probability of scoring a critical that always makes me go straight back. I think they should cut the blow-back ammo to 10 instead of 25 to compensate a tad for this.