Teachers Shocked, Frightened After School Holds Unplanned Shooting Drill

wetech

Jul 16, 2002
Link

The Oregonian reports Pine Eagle Charter School in Halfway held the drill last Friday as children were home for an in-service day. Two masked “gunmen” burst into a meeting room holding 15 teachers firing blanks. Teachers only realized it wasn’t a real shooting when none of them were bleeding.

“There was some commotion,” school principal Cammie DeCastro told The Oregonian.

Teachers were frightened about what happened.

“I’ll tell you, the whole situation was horrible,” Morgan Gover told the paper. “I got a couple in the front and a couple in the back.”

The school held the unplanned drill in hopes to better educate teachers on how to deal with a school shooting. Of the 15 teachers in the room, only two would have survived.

What would have happened if some of the teachers fought back and caved the "gunman's" head in with a chair?

Edit: Didn't realize another thread started on this topic. Feel free to lock.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2012
... I would be sueing for panic attacks for fucks sake. That is... insanity.... seriously? Who the fuck approved something that fucking dumb?

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
... I would be suing for panic attacks for fucks sake. That is... insanity.... seriously? Who the fuck approved something that fucking dumb?

Stop asking intelligent questions and send your kids to public schools, darn it! The idiots in charge know best!

Jan 25, 2011
This has to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard anyone do in the name of emergency preparedness. Just.... holy crap...

Nov 8, 2012
If only someone was carrying and shot them both dead. Maybe that would be a lesson learned. But those damn gun free zone's made everyone stop at the invisible forcefield. I guess they made it through since they were fake guns shooting blanks.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
i don't know why i'm laughing (crying really) at this story. that really isn't funny. LMFAO, please tell me they taped this?

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
If only someone was carrying and shot them both dead. Maybe that would be a lesson learned. But those damn gun free zone's made everyone stop at the invisible forcefield. I guess they made it through since they were fake guns shooting blanks.

Or if somone had a heart attack could very well have happened. Our school system has reach a new level of stupidity.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Of the 15 teachers in the room, only two would have survived.

Good job! /sarcasm Now let's try the same unannounced drill at a school where at least one of the 15 teachers is allowed to carry...

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Good job! /sarcasm Now let's try the same unannounced drill at a school where at least one of the 15 teachers is allowed to carry...

A better experiment would be have the same shooters go into the school and hit rooms unannounced knowing that in any room, a teacher may be packing. How many do you think would sign up for that job?

Uhtrinity

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2003
I agree with other posters, this was a stupid move and they should be held liable. Huge difference between this and a fire drill. But, I also hate it when a single isolated instance is cherry picked and that becomes an example of why public schools are bad. Afterall, how many thousands of public districts and schools are in the US?

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
They could have just watched a film about this kind of thing. I have at my school.

Dont worry the police will protect you! By the time the cops show up hundreds of people might die. A rent a cop or two might help but still a lot of people could die very fast.

Only takes a few minutes to kill a classroom full of kids.

Security costs too much so just get use to murder and mayhem. Your children arent worth extra protection.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
They could have just watched a film about this kind of thing. I have at my school.

Dont worry the police will protect you! By the time the cops show up hundreds of people might die. A rent a cop or two might help but still a lot of people could die very fast.

Only takes a few minutes to kill a classroom full of kids.

Security costs too much so just get use to murder and mayhem. Your children arent worth extra protection.

Yep, when seconds matter help is only minutes away.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
terrible.. I don't see how someone could possibly approve something like this..

The same morons that suspend kids for bringing a plastic spreader knife to school or the kid that eats his poptart into the vague shape of a gun or draws a pic of a gun. Our schools are being run by idiots.

Uhtrinity

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2003
This is a rural public charter school that made a bad choice, "poor public education example" not found. Found one other example of a school doing something like this in Texas of all places. Wouldn't doubt it if these schools were of the Teapublican variety.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
This is a rural public charter school that made a bad choice, "poor public education example" not found. Found one other example of a school doing something like this in Texas of all places. Wouldn't doubt it if these schools were of the Teapublican variety.

There is a difference between making a poor decision and making an absolutely horrific decision like this one. What about the suspension of a 6 year old for pointing her finger and going "pew pew"? Or the student suspended For Pop-Tart Gun? Get your Tea Party jabs in if you must but this kind of crap is getting increasingly harder to defend or just blow off as an isolated incident.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005

I know every geek here has no doubt that when shit hits the fan, they are going to come out heroes for packing.
But in reality, the result is going to be about the same as this *drill?*

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I know every geek here has no doubt that when shit hits the fan, they are going to come out heroes for packing.
But in reality, the result is going to be about the same as this *drill?*

In reality, they'd have more a chance than they currently do. If it saves one life, it's worth it right? There are many reports of concealed carry saving lives, and none of gun free zones saving lives.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
In reality, they'd have more a chance than they currently do. If it saves one life, it's worth it right? There are many reports of concealed carry saving lives, and none of gun free zones saving lives.

Well no, not really
Odds of some panicked geek shooting some innocents would be huge
When I read some of the comments here for instance, I'm really glad they spend most of their time posting here, instead of being outside around other people

Last edited:

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I agree with other posters, this was a stupid move and they should be held liable. Huge difference between this and a fire drill. But, I also hate it when a single isolated instance is cherry picked and that becomes an example of why public schools are bad. Afterall, how many thousands of public districts and schools are in the US?

But this is the entire premise of almost every thread on P&N. Find a news story with an anecdote which is convenient to one political position or another. Watch as numerous people of that political persuasion generalize from the incident. Fighting against it is an uphill battle.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Well no, not really
When I read some of the comments here for instance, I'm really glad they spend most of their time posting here, instead of being outside around other people

You got any numbers to back that up? Any incidents of a concealed carry permit holder in a firefight and accidentally hitting innocents? Any experience with handgun shooting?

Even worst case scenario, say they take out the shooter but accidentally hit three children (highly unlikely given limited ammo capacity in most concealed weapons). Isn't that better than letting the shooter kill 20?

Otherwise you're just spouting assumptions out your ass. However crazy you may think they are, I'd bet a lot of the "geeks" here train more than police officers; and however much I may disagree with their philosophies I'd much rather have them in a firefight than some unarmed victim.

Last edited:

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
However crazy you may think they are, I'd bet a lot of the "geeks" here train more than police officers; and however much I may disagree with their philosophies I'd much rather have them in a firefight than some unarmed victim.

The police are outside dealing with hundreds of people everyday.
I don't care how many paper targets you shoot a day

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Well no, not really

Yep, better to just let someone shoot fish in a barrel than to have the risk of injury from someone defending themselves. /sarcasm