Teach me about cell phones

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Originally posted by: NutBucket
Originally posted by: Garfang
For number 5, if you go with Verizon, get a V60i if you can.

Regarding Sprint, the 50 roaming minutes for $10 is not as good a deal as it looks, because long distance is NOT included. So calls made while roaming still cost 25 cents per minute. I was pissed when I found that out, and waited the customary 50 minutes on hold to cancel that part of my plan.

With Verizon, the only time I ever waited on hold was for two minutes at around 5 PM on a weekday. Every other time I've called, I've gotten right through to a live person.

Wait, the plans already include long distance so does this not apply to roaming?

On Sprint, you pay Roaming + LD, whether you have LD in the plan or not. On Verizon, it's only the Roaming fee if LD is already included. The roaming fee is more on Verizon though.

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Originally posted by: Triumph
Oh yeah, one other thing. Where can you subscribe to Verizon besides a Verizon store? Amazon, BB, CC, all have Sprint, AT&T, and other plans, but they don't seem to have Verizon.

www.vzw.com, Radio Shack, various other 3rd party resellers.

Radio Shack and other 3rd party stores might have the V60i in stock.

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Originally posted by: Triumph
Thanks for all the info, everyone. I'm mostly decided on getting Verizon. . .

A question on the America's Choice vs. National Single Rate; I can't really figure out the difference, but I think that when you don't get a digital signal with National, it switches to analog, and that's how they can cover the whole country? And America's Choice is only on digital networks? Or does it have to do with sharing with other providers? The whole freakin' map is red for National Single, how do they do that?

National Single Rate: Verizon where a Verizon-owned network is available, and roaming on a different provider's network everywhere else. You don't pay extra for roaming anywhere in the US (it's included in the price of the plan).

America's Choice: Verizon where a Verizon-owned network is available (red on the AC map, phone's display says "Verizon"); free roaming where a preferred roaming provider, such as Alltel, Sprint PCS, US Cellular, Etc., is available (also red on the AC map, phone's display says "Extended Network"); paid roaming everywhere else (white areas on the AC map, phone's display says "Roaming").

Roaming and roaming charges with Verizon plans have nothing to do with digital or analog. Your phone will operate in whatever mode (digital or analog) that's available from the roaming provider's network. Your phone may even operate in analog mode on Verizon owned networks in a few areas. Analog does not cost extra on America's Choice. That's strictly a Sprint thing.

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
I have a question myself...actually.

I have nationwide LD, now, if I leave my home calling area, and go to say Pittsburgh, and someone from here calls ME, is it long distance for THEM, since they're calling a local area code?

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: murphy55d

I have nationwide LD, now, if I leave my home calling area, and go to say Pittsburgh, and someone from here calls ME, is it long distance for THEM, since they're calling a local area code?

I have never seen charges on my phone bill for when I have call a local cell phone number that was out of state. So I would say no.

KK

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Originally posted by: KK
Originally posted by: murphy55d

I have never seen charges on my phone bill for when I have call a local cell phone number that was out of state. So I would say no.

KK

Confirmed!!!