Tea Party marchers -- what is their solution to the nation's health care problem?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: soundforbjt
Originally posted by: blackangst1
Originally posted by: spidey07
Serious tort reform and allowing insurance to compete across state lines are the most often agreed upon solutions.

:thumbsup:

Name one state that has passed tort reform where healthcare costs have declined instead of risen.

Name one state that has passed tort reform in regards to healthcare first. Im not aware of any.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
only since Obama has taken office has healthcare become a "problem" in the eyes of the public...it is and has been a big democrat ticket agenda which is why it is on the table yet again.

I think it is safe to say the people at that protest don't feel anything is wrong with the system as it is, and compared to what is being proposed I can't say I don't agree with them.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Serious tort reform and allowing insurance to compete across state lines are the most often agreed upon solutions.

Name one state that has passed tort reform where healthcare costs have declined instead of risen.

Name one state that has passed tort reform in regards to healthcare first. Im not aware of any.

The Midwest, Indiana and Illinois specifically, I think, are given credit for being the best places to practice and not worry about outrageous lawsuits.

They use Grand Jury Style hearings to determine if the malpractice cases are legit and to determine rewards. That means a group of people who only hear malpractice cases and are fluent in the laws and procedures make the decisions.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: bozack
only since Obama has taken office has healthcare become a "problem" in the eyes of the public...it is and has been a big democrat ticket agenda which is why it is on the table yet again.

I think it is safe to say the people at that protest don't feel anything is wrong with the system as it is, and compared to what is being proposed I can't say I don't agree with them.

Well, in all fairness, we do need reform. Just not what the Dems are proposing. They got alot of mileage out of the "Republicans want to drop your social security" lie, so maybe this is their new mantra?

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper
Originally posted by: Sinsear
If we just tax the rich we should be able to pay for health reform.

If we could just take all of the money (17% of GDP) that's currently being spent on health care and redesigned our system to be more efficient, we could pay for socialized medicine and have a couple percentage points worth of GDP left over for tax breaks or to reduce the budget deficit.

We wouldn't even need to commit the unspeakable evil of taxing the rich. However, since many insurance company and hospital executives would be kicked out of business, those particular rich people would have to suffer the indignity of only being able to afford a mere one new yacht per year and not 5 new yachts per year. Oh, the horror! Your heart really has to bleed for those guys.

How exactly can we increase the number of people covered, improve coverage, and make the system cheaper?

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: SirStev0

The Midwest, Indiana and Illinois specifically, I think, are given credit for being the best places to practice and not worry about outrageous lawsuits.

They use Grand Jury Style hearings to determine if the malpractice cases are legit and to determine rewards. That means a group of people who only hear malpractice cases and are fluent in the laws and procedures make the decisions.

Interesting. Thank you...I'll read up on it later.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002

True to some extent, except Americans want a public option anyway, worst case it's split so it's not really radical or unlikely to happen.
Policy Options

Support for the so-called "public option" -- a government-administered health insurance plan - still finds majority support, though that support has been steadily dropping since June. In this poll, 60 percent favor it, with 34 percent opposed.

Support for a public option, currently the most contentions element of reform, has fallen from 62 percent in June to 52 percent now; 46 percent are opposed, up 13 points. Like much of the debate, it's an intensely partisan issue, with support ranging from three-quarters of Democrats to half of independents and 24 percent of Republicans. The drop in support, though, has occurred equally among independents and Republicans alike.

http://abcnews.go.com/PollingU...itics/story?id=8373563
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories...olls/main5280373.shtml

A public option of some sort will be passed, only question is what it'll look like.

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005

California has limits on malpractice suits, thus self insured hospital entities (like the university system) can provide care at lower costs.

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000

Saw a TV story (forgot the network) today that mentioned Ohio has done that.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004

this sounds excellent.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: brandonbull
Originally posted by: Sinsear
If we just tax the rich we should be able to pay for health reform.

If we could just take all of the money (17% of GDP) that's currently being spent on health care and redesigned our system to be more efficient, we could pay for socialized medicine and have a couple percentage points worth of GDP left over for tax breaks or to reduce the budget deficit.

We wouldn't even need to commit the unspeakable evil of taxing the rich. However, since many insurance company and hospital executives would be kicked out of business, those particular rich people would have to suffer the indignity of only being able to afford a mere one new yacht per year and not 5 new yachts per year. Oh, the horror! Your heart really has to bleed for those guys.

How exactly can we increase the number of people covered, improve coverage, and make the system cheaper?

our system is horrifically inefficient and unscientific. Not only can we insure everyone, improve coverage, and make it cheaper, but we can provide better healthcare while we are at it. The problems are that people don't realize that these problems are as bad as they are, and that our political system, or at least the people running it, are incapable of any sort of coherent action.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

TEXAS, tort reform was passed that limited awards that you could get on malpractice, and was one of the main reasons that they did, and it hasn't lowered the healthcare cost much, if any.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Interesting. Thank you...I'll read up on it later.

If you do read up on the CBO's analysis of tort reform you will see that it has had a statistically insignificant effect on health care costs. Basically, the main issue that Republicans have been shrieking about has yielded zero results.

Oct 30, 2004

It has been a problem for a great many years. The public is giving it a large amount of attention now because our politicians are offering to try to do something about it.

It will be interesting to see how many of the protesters change their tune when they lose their jobs or when their insurance benefits are drastically cut back or how they will feel if they actually need to use their health insurance. Part of the problem is that these people have pea-sized brains and cannot contemplate what it would be like if they lost their jobs or otherwise had to find and pay for health insurance on their own. They cannot seriously conceive of that type of potentiality.

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: brandonbullHow exactly can we increase the number of people covered, improve coverage, and make the system cheaper?

We eliminate the tremendous amount of waste and inefficiency that is currently present in our system. Right now, a great many people who receive income from health care expenditures do not actually provide health care--the insurance executives, insurance company employees, benefits plans administrators, insurance brokers, marketing people, and so on. Also, some of the business entities involved distribute some of the health care dollars as profit. If we changed our system so as to eliminate them, we could save a large amount of money. Some other nations have either already done this or drastically reduced the number of these paper pushers, resulting in cost savings and efficiency gains.

Check out this video to see how other nations cover 100% of their population while spending a smaller percentage of their GDP on health care:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/...ne/sickaroundtheworld/

HGC

Dec 22, 1999
Though I haven't marched, I consider myself a Tea Party person.

The supply of quality healthcare is limited. The demand is unlimited. This means it must be rationed in one way or another. Obamacare prescribes rationing by the State. Tea party-goers mostly favor rationing by markets.

Let me say first that there are indeed serious flaws in the current system, and that most Republicans have been missing in action on reform for decades. I give Democrats credit for trying to do something, though I disagree with nearly all of their ideas about what to do.

Around the world and throughout history, more prosperity correlates with more economic freedom, ie, with lower taxes, regulations, tariffs, and government spending. The more central government meddling in an economy, the more corruption and the lower the standard of living. This is why Tea people favor a limited government approach, and why they connect emotionally with the vision of the Founding Fathers and with the perpetrators of the original Boston Tea Party.

A free market health reform proposal:

1. No tax break for employer provided health insurance.

2. Freedom to buy health insurance across state lines.

3. Tax credits to everyone to buy private catastrophic coverage, and outright subsidies to the poor and almost poor, as with the earned income tax credit.

4. Tax-free medical savings accounts to pay for routine non-catastrophic health care, including preventive and alternative medicine. Partial, not full, subsidies for the same for non-taxpayers.

5. Have malpractice suits arbitrated by a board of physicians, medical administrators and patients. Require doctors and hospitals to pay into a fund for malpractice awards. This will take contingency fee driven lawyers out of the equation.

6. Require medical service providers to hand out a rate card and post prices on the internet, prior to treatment.

In short, end the ridiculous illusion that somebody else (corporations, the government, insurance companies) pays for health care. We do. Make that explicit and competition will return to the market and drive down costs and drive up quality. Use the savings to subsidize care for the needy.

The government, for the most part, does not supply our food, clothing, or shelter. Are those less important than health care? To the extent the government did try to give us housing, with Fannie and Freddie, it helped create a crisis. Imagine what would happen to Safeway and Whole Foods if there was a grocery chain "public option" with taxpayer subsidized prices below what these stores could offer. Then imagine the choices and service at government supermarkets after the private stores go under. Imagine what would happen to innovation in the PC market if we had to buy our rigs from the government.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading! :)

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: miketheidiot

our system is horrifically inefficient and unscientific. Not only can we insure everyone, improve coverage, and make it cheaper, but we can provide better healthcare while we are at it. The problems are that people don't realize that these problems are as bad as they are, and that our political system, or at least the people running it, are incapable of any sort of coherent action.

How can you claim that 20+% administrative costs are inefficient?

:confused:

It boggles the mind, hell, we can get that up to 50% if things keep going like they have been.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Originally posted by: brandonbullHow exactly can we increase the number of people covered, improve coverage, and make the system cheaper?

We eliminate the tremendous amount of waste and inefficiency that is currently present in our system. Right now, a great many people who receive income from health care expenditures do not actually provide health care--the insurance executives, insurance company employees, benefits plans administrators, insurance brokers, marketing people, and so on. Also, some of the business entities involved distribute some of the health care dollars as profit. If we changed our system so as to eliminate them, we could save a large amount of money. Some other nations have either already done this or drastically reduced the number of these paper pushers, resulting in cost savings and efficiency gains.

Check out this video to see how other nations cover 100% of their population while spending a smaller percentage of their GDP on health care:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/...ne/sickaroundtheworld/

The the solution to the responses I have received after posing this question is that the government needs to concentrate on reducing the overhead and streamlining the current system first. We don't need the government trying to invent a new system instead of fixing the current one.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
In other words, are the Tea Party protesters protesting because they are MORONS who support the current, expensive status quo, or are they protesting because they support less expensive national health care and they're angry that the government hasn't enacted it yet?
Yes, the first one.

SammyJr

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2008
Originally posted by: alchemize
I think you're all scared that the GOP seems to have whipped up it's base again, something it was unable to do in the presidential election that was remarkably close given how crappy the McCain/Palin ticket was.

I'm not too concerned about the Republicans whipping up their base. They might represent 20-25% of the nation. There were people at the rallies carrying Palin pictures. The Republicans have effectively alienated anyone who isn't a conservative fundamentalist, a racist, a birther, or any other type of ignorant.

The primary threat to the Democrats is if by some miracle, a fiscally conservative/socially liberal party is formed and gains strength. It is entirely possible to make a rational argument for fiscal conservatism and spending restraint without resorting to teabagging.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Serious tort reform and allowing insurance to compete across state lines are the most often agreed upon reform ideas.

This is laughable too. So, we're supposed to lower health care costs by making these concessions to the same corporations that have been raping us fiscally for decades, so they can make MORE of a profit? Man, oh man, party of BAD ideas indeed.

SammyJr

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2008
Originally posted by: piasabird
Health care = more taxes. People do not want to trust the government. If it smells like a tax and it looks like a tax then it is a tax.

You might ask yourself why UPS and Fed-EX does so well. The answer is they are not run by the government.

Yeah, GM and Chrysler did great, too.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Wreckem
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Originally posted by: alchemize
I think you're all scared that the GOP seems to have whipped up it's base again, something it was unable to do in the presidential election
Really? I remember the McCain/Palin rallies drawing a more people than the 9/12 tea party, day after day. Furthermore, those crowds were largely filled with the same Obama-is-a-socialist-communist-Marxist-Nazi-Kenyan-Stalinist crowd that were at the tea parties. It didn't scare us then, nor does it scare us now.

that was remarkably close given how crappy the McCain/Palin ticket was.
In what universe is getting over 210% more electoral votes and 8.5 million popular votes considered "remarkably close"? The GOP got shellacked.

And the 2010 midterms are shaping up to be another 1994.

Bookmarked