TCL 6 series

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I have a cheap Vizio in my bedroom and a decent 50" LG LED in the living room from like 6 years ago. But I want to go bigger in the living room. I was going to budget $650 for a 65" tv sometime early next year but then I discovered the TCL 6 series with mini-LED technology in them bu tit's $899, and after reading reviews, seems like it's way more than just a marketing gimmick. Pretty much most reviews say it's the best picture quality for the price, hands down. Will never be used for gaming, so could care less about 120hz or HDMI 2.1 as I have zero interest in watching media at anything over 60hz at 4K, which I read HDMI 2.0 can do. Anyone have experience with the new mini-LED TCL's? Especially the 6 series? I read LG is coming out with a whole line of mini-LED tv's at CES 2021 but I'm sure they will be more expensive due to the brand name, but we shall see. Either way I can't buy until they get announced, but just want some experience with the higher end TCL lines. Anyone?

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
I have the 2018 model TCL 6 series in a 55". It's very good. 65" to 75" is probably the sweet spot today. I bought a 65" TCL 4 series to hold me over until HDMI 2.1 is fully rolled out. That one has Android TV and the 6 series has ROKU for the OS.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Ended up with the TCL 2020 65" with the mini LEDs, so more contrast zones.

It's a gorgeous TV. Blacks are quite deep. Watching 4K HDR/Dolby Vision videos on YouTube is something else. It's not as much the 4k as it is the HDR. That's the bigger upgrade. NFL playoff football looks real good today as well

Now thinking of getting one of the budget 4k Blu ray players that handles HDR 10 and Dolby Vision to truly appreciate some content.

Last edited:

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I gave my TCL series 6 to my son recently as I got a new Samsung 75" ru9000. I regret it as the TCL had a better overall pic, I could turn on/off HDR and the fact that my samsung tv died last week and I am going through replacement hell has sworn me off samsung. Too bad Costco doesnt sell em any more or I would have sent the sammy back and gotten a 75" TCL.

• Haha
Reactions: killster1

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I gave my TCL series 6 to my son recently as I got a new Samsung 75" ru9000. I regret it as the TCL had a better overall pic, I could turn on/off HDR and the fact that my samsung tv died last week and I am going through replacement hell has sworn me off samsung. Too bad Costco doesnt sell em any more or I would have sent the sammy back and gotten a 75" TCL.

the 2020 6 series definitely outperforms it's price point relative to the other major brands.

but they fail too. The 6 series thread at AVS forums has it's share of failed unit experiences.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I originally had a 55" TCL P605 in my bedroom that had replaced my older 48" LG TV. I had really wanted a larger screen size, but they ended up never bringing them out. The 55" was a bit too small for using it as a computer monitor while sitting in bed, so I sold the P605 and bought a 65" TCL R615, which I have been using since. I haven't had an issue with my R615, and haven't heard any complaints about the P605 from my friend. On the flip side, my Sony 930e, which cost over 3x the price of the R615, will randomly reboot when you turn it on and display this crazy dashed line pattern on the screen. (Note that the 930e is slightly older than the R615.)

In some ways, I think it's a case of expecting more when you pay more. I wouldn't feel as bad if the TCL started messing up in the same way, because it wasn't very expensive. On the flip side, the Sony TV messing up makes me never want to invest all that money in a high-end Sony product again.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I originally had a 55" TCL P605 in my bedroom that had replaced my older 48" LG TV. I had really wanted a larger screen size, but they ended up never bringing them out. The 55" was a bit too small for using it as a computer monitor while sitting in bed, so I sold the P605 and bought a 65" TCL R615, which I have been using since. I haven't had an issue with my R615, and haven't heard any complaints about the P605 from my friend. On the flip side, my Sony 930e, which cost over 3x the price of the R615, will randomly reboot when you turn it on and display this crazy dashed line pattern on the screen. (Note that the 930e is slightly older than the R615.)

In some ways, I think it's a case of expecting more when you pay more. I wouldn't feel as bad if the TCL started messing up in the same way, because it wasn't very expensive. On the flip side, the Sony TV messing up makes me never want to invest all that money in a high-end Sony product again.
This is exactly why I no longer have Sony tvs.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
The 5 series 43" I got for the bedroom was defective. 4 dots started showing up on the screen after having the tv for a bit less than a week. I had just thrown at the box thinking it was ok so Newegg would not do an exchange. I posted my issue on the AVS forums, with photos, to see if anyone had experienced the same before contacting TCL directly, and a TCL rep that posts there PM'd me an email address to contact before I even had a chance to. They set up a return - sent me a box and a label. I shipped back last Monday, they verified the issue, and my new replacement TV is arriving tomorrow. Inconvenient but 1st world problems since I have a bigger TV in the living room. The bigger issue is having someone come by and help me attach it to the wall mount again.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
The 5 series 43" I got for the bedroom was defective. 4 dots started showing up on the screen after having the tv for a bit less than a week. I had just thrown at the box thinking it was ok so Newegg would not do an exchange. I posted my issue on the AVS forums, with photos, to see if anyone had experienced the same before contacting TCL directly, and a TCL rep that posts there PM'd me an email address to contact before I even had a chance to. They set up a return - sent me a box and a label. I shipped back last Monday, they verified the issue, and my new replacement TV is arriving tomorrow. Inconvenient but 1st world problems since I have a bigger TV in the living room. The bigger issue is having someone come by and help me attach it to the wall mount again.
That's pretty good service. The samsung unit I bought in December that died last month was JUST picked up by samsung yesterday, 3/30. Took them nearly 2 months to get this far. They did send a couple of techs out a few weeks ago but they couldnt fix the problem. Waiting for my refund which was a nightmare. Took 12 phone calls and tons of paperwork. My new LG 75" Class - NANO91 should be in next week. I miss PC gaming on a big screen but my gaming laptop has done well.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
That's pretty good service. The samsung unit I bought in December that died last month was JUST picked up by samsung yesterday, 3/30. Took them nearly 2 months to get this far. They did send a couple of techs out a few weeks ago but they couldnt fix the problem. Waiting for my refund which was a nightmare. Took 12 phone calls and tons of paperwork. My new LG 75" Class - NANO91 should be in next week. I miss PC gaming on a big screen but my gaming laptop has done well.

Oh wow. That's a totally different experience. I'm glad TCL stepped up

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
We had a Visio 50 inch that had always had weird problems (like would turn off and not turn back on unless we unplugged it for a couple of hours)
so we got rid of it after local TV repair shop couldnt figure it out.

In 2018 we pcked up a 55 inch TCL 5 series, its been a very good TV. I have no complaints about it. For $400, it has delivered beyond my expectations.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
This replacement 43" TCL 5 series actually is a better panel than the previous one, besides not exhibiting that defect. It definitely has less DSE - also the other one stuttered a bit here and there when using some of the apps, but this one hasn't skipped a beat yet.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
The 65" TCL has been great. Occasionally wish it was slightly brighter with HDR content but that is rare.

Sitting 6' away though, I wish it was 75"