Taxpayers On The Hook To Feed Children

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Gee I wonder why? :rolleyes:

Because the ruling classes led by religious men thought their coal profits were above their workers safety. Capitalism cares not for sex. We all are meat to be eaten and chewed and shat out, like any other resource.

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009
You mean like how women fight to become coal miner's?

And you are falsely assuming that women like doing even the "fun" jobs

And of course you are failing to address this

Right, because I am sure that most single-income familes can afford to go without income for 3 months :rolleyes:

And what of the other jobs women would want? FYI, most men don't want to work in coal mines either.

I'm failing to address it because it's moot. If women wouldn't want that situation then encouraging it won't make it happen. It's interesting that you think only women have a problem being the sole breadwinner while their spouse stays home though.

Assuming they don't work somewhere with spousal benefits, they don't have to take the whole 12 weeks.

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009
Hey here's another solution to the women in the workforce epidemic: everyone works 50% time and have dual income families.

It'd be easy to implement too. Just change the standard work week to 20 hours with overtime after that. Watch wages soar!

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
And what of the other jobs women would want? FYI, most men don't want to work in coal mines either.

And yet over 95% of coal miner's are men...

while women burnout on the fun jobs
http://www.forbes.com/sites/larissa...llennial-women-are-burning-out-at-work-by-30/

Assuming they don't work somewhere with spousal benefits, they don't have to take the whole 12 weeks.

So you think that women are going to just up and go back to work a week after giving birth?

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Hey here's another solution to the women in the workforce epidemic: everyone works 50% time and have dual income families.

All right. Try proposing that 50% of coal mining positions have to be filled by women. See how long it is until women are begging to be back barefoot in the kitchen :p

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
So in other words the baby is not being raised by the teen mom after all.

Also sounds awfully similar to my adoption idea huh.

The child is being raised by her extended family, her mother included, something that hasn't really changed in millenia, other than a brief period of mostly fantasy in the 50's & 60's.

"It takes a village" has always been true, metaphorically speaking. That village just needs to be bigger today, sometimes, because the way work & income has been distributed in our society has changed a lot over the last 30 years, and because, unfortunately, not all teen moms have that kind of family, or a family capable of lending much support for a variety of reasons.

And no, it doesn't sound like your authoritarian adoption scheme, at all. There is no coercion, no separation. Despite the legal fiction, the teen mom retains her relationship with the child.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
All right. Try proposing that 50% of coal mining positions have to be filled by women. See how long it is until women are begging to be back barefoot in the kitchen :p

More desperate & delusional authoritarian hogwash, I see.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
And here is some evidence about women not wanting a house husband

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/he-wants-to-retire-but-she-doesnt.html

Consider Deborah Ewing, a 55-year-old attorney practicing family law, and her husband, Patrick Hickey, 62, a tax-software programmer. Mr. Hickey has a two-hour-plus daily commute from their home in Palos Verdes Estates, Calif., to his job in Los Angeles, and says he feels tired. He would like to retire "as soon as possible."

No go. "I have told him he has to stay working until the last kid is out of college in four years," Ms. Ewing says. "For me it would be annoying not to have someone pulling their weight. I realize he's older. But on a personal level, I don't see it as positive. My perspective is he would putter around the house."

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Which is a lie

1.) That equality demands that 1/2 of coal miner's be women

or

2.) That being forced to be coal miner's for the sake of equality would be unpopular with women?

1.) obviously. Equality merely demands that women can be coal miners if they want to do so. Equality supports freedom of choice, other than in authoritarian/ totalitarian scenarios you seem to yearn for.

Which has nothing to do with a program to feed lunch to children, either.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
1.) obviously. Equality merely demands that women can be coal miners if they want to do so. Equality supports freedom of choice, other than in authoritarian/ totalitarian scenarios you seem to yearn for.

Funny how that is not what liberals have been saying for years about pay equity huh. Or just about any other thing.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Funny how that is not what liberals have been saying for years about pay equity huh. Or just about any other thing.

Funny how desperately delusional you appear to be, how badly you want to rave about anything other than the topic at hand.

When cognitive dissonance looms large, you try to slip away to somewhere else, somewhere you can try to deny it. When that gets too big, when there's too much of it, you end up where you are now, with the words on the page threatening to burn your eyes out, pollute your precious bodily fluids so to speak.

There is no reason other than misogyny that women should not receive equal pay for equal work, whether that's mining coal or serving free lunches to kids.

Teh Ebil Libruhls, the commie, pinko, soshulist, terrarist coddlin', gay marryin', wimmen liberatin' Libruhls! even created a whole govt dept to make it that way, the EEOC. The Bastards!

They'll even try to bring down the sacred Jerb Creators!, grab yer guns & make the baby Jesus cry, too, all at the command of their not born in this country dear leader, who uses Kenyan voodoo time warp mind control to rule their every thought, making conventional slavery obsolete, I tell you! Obsolete! Our only chance is to stop them from voting, and from having babies!

I probably missed something, so go ahead & fill in as necessary.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
I almost feel bad for nehalem when I go back and read the last few pages. He has been getting smacked around horribly.

berzerker60

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2012
I almost feel bad for nehalem when I go back and read the last few pages. He has been getting smacked around horribly.
That's not the right reason to pity him, though. The real reason for that is that his backward way of thinking will never again be anywhere near how the world actually is. Unless he changes his politics in a huge way, he'll always been deeply unhappy with the parts of society that everyone else celebrates as progress.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
That's not the right reason to pity him, though. The real reason for that is that his backward way of thinking will never again be anywhere near how the world actually is. Unless he changes his politics in a huge way, he'll always been deeply unhappy with the parts of society that everyone else celebrates as progress.

Rightwing authoritarian idiots thrive on the perception of personal persecution. They just dig a deeper bunker o' denial, pile on more sandbags, stew in their own stink.

Alcoholics exhibit much the same behavior- it's always somebody else's fault, because booze obviously isn't their problem. For wingnuts, it's not what they believe, but rather the ROTW destroying their lives, the country, the human race itself.

It's a disease. Like alcoholics, they're powerless to overcome it on their own. Too bad there's not a 12 step program for fringe whacks.

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
Gotta admit that I've never seen a troll stick to such a single thought before. Even white supremacists eventually post about something other how inferior they think other races are, but his misogyny just keeps on trucking.

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009
No under his proposal 1/2 of coal miner's would have to be women. And in fact Equality demands it.

Somehow I do not think his proposal would be too popular.

This is just flat out not true. My proposal said nothing about the gender make-up of each job.

If everyone worked 20 hours weeks the gender proportions can stay exactly the same (maybe 25 or 30 hours since we don't have 100% participation right now).

And with less total working hours wages per 40hrs equivalent should go up, according to your basic economics.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

What do you mean. The beginning of the discussion was about people complaining about the consequences of said "progress".

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
What do you mean. The beginning of the discussion was about people complaining about the consequences of said "progress".

Half truth, people complaining about benefits being provided to people who didn't necessarily need them.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
This is just flat out not true. My proposal said nothing about the gender make-up of each job.

If everyone worked 20 hours weeks the gender proportions can stay exactly the same (maybe 25 or 30 hours since we don't have 100% participation right now).

And with less total working hours wages per 40hrs equivalent should go up, according to your basic economics.

1.) So equality means that women work the "fun" jobs and the men get stuck in the mines.

2.) You have just cut the hours each male coal miner can work in 1/2. So to make up for the mine will need to hire additional workers. I wonder who they will be? :confused: