Tasered for a Speeding Ticket??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Deudalus

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2005
Originally posted by: BoberFett
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
Not another fucking taser/cop abuse thread. Sheesh.

Maybe when Quick-Draw McGraw pigs stop using tasers like cowboys prodding cattle the taser threads will stop.

LOL, someone got stopped by the bicycle cops for riding their skateboard on the sidewalks again......

Seriously, if you don't understand what's going on here just wait a few years.

Adult maturity makes things like this a lot easier to comprehend.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Deudalus

Maybe when Quick-Draw McGraw pigs stop using tasers like cowboys prodding cattle the taser threads will stop.

LOL, someone got stopped by the bicycle cops for riding their skateboard on the sidewalks again......

Yes, that's what it must be. I got harassed by the pigs while riding my skateboard when I was 14. 20 years ago. :roll:

Why is that internet tough guys like Deuchebagalus immediately assume that anybody who distrusts government is a punk teenager? Someone better tell my wife she's a child molester and not actually married to the IT Manager of a $60M/yr company.

So what's your excuse for being so fucking stupid, Deudalus? Are you an angst ridden teenager? Go back to cutting yourself and writing shitty poetry in a cry for attention, loser.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Kalvin00
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit
"Officers" like that are what gives the police a bad name. If I was his boss I'd can him but the reality is that this incident will probably net him a promotion for being "tough on crime".

In reality, you're a fvcking moran who doesn't know anything about how law enforcement works.

In reality, it gained an investigation into the incident (the outcome of which I'm not certain) which could have ended up with either a demerit or firing of the officer.

Baliff, whack his peepee!!

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Genx87
I cant understand half of what was being said leading up to the situation. So i cant pass judegement on the use of force. But there does seem to be a scary rise in the use of these devices by the police for minor infractions. Just the other day in Minneapolis state troopers tasered some guy who crashed his car and he died from the taser.

We must demand that they can only be used to stop violence.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Perknose
I see TWO people, both behaving poorly in that video.

But only one of them carries a taser, a gun, and has the force of the state behind him. I expect that person to behave better.

I do too.

Deudalus

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2005

Yes, that's what it must be. I got harassed by the pigs while riding my skateboard when I was 14. 20 years ago. :roll:

Why is that internet tough guys like Deuchebagalus immediately assume that anybody who distrusts government is a punk teenager? Someone better tell my wife she's a child molester and not actually married to the IT Manager of a $60M/yr company.

So what's your excuse for being so fucking stupid, Deudalus? Are you an angst ridden teenager? Go back to cutting yourself and writing shitty poetry in a cry for attention, loser.

First of all, the e-hard line doesn't really give me the shivers.

Second of all, you can claim to do whatever you want out in the real world but typically when someone resorts to "OMG I DO THIS IRL" it means they not only cannot back up their argument, but also that they are retarded.

Furthermore, I sincerely doubt someone named "Boberfett" is past their teenage years.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Twenty years ago, that person would have been kicked, beat up with fists, flash lights, clubs, and\or shot.

I worked in a surgical unit when I was in college and I went to a goodbye party for one of the nurses. Three or four of the nurses were married to police. The cops spend the evening laughing about beating people up.

It was creepy to hear the way the cops were talking about it. After that party I decided I would avoid socializing with police.

Deudalus

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Siddhartha
Twenty years ago, that person would have been kicked, beat up with fists, flash lights, clubs, and\or shot.

I worked in a surgical unit when I was in college and I went to a goodbye party for one of the nurses. Three or four of the nurses were married to police. The cops spend the evening laughing about beating people up.

It was creepy to hear the way the cops were talking about it. After that party I decided I would avoid socializing with police.

I'll tell you another funny one...

There is a local cafe here in New Orleans called the Trolley Stop which is on St Charles Ave. and is a local hangout for a lot of the local police.

One of the K-9 cops was in there one day telling a story which I overheard about him having to chase a crackhead who had just beaten up a woman and stole her purse and jewelry into the St. Thomas housing project.

Now first of all if you know anything about St. Thomas back in the day you would know that it makes Fallujah look like Sesame Street. Rapes, gunshots, muggings, and the like are a nightly occurance and are the norm in that area.

So he has to chase this crackhead into a building and winds up chasing him into a bedroom with no windows and only a closet. He yells at the guy to come out and he doesn't. He yells again giving him one last chance, but he doesn't come out.

So the cop opens the closet door lets the dog in and closes the door back and lets the melee insue until the guy decides he's ready to come out.

All this time I was chuckling while I overheard the story and thought it was quite hilarious and I was getting the mental image of the whole scenario.

Then it dawned on me that this cop has to put up with this bullshit for under 40,000 dollars a year..........

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Some people do not like any show of superiority towards them. They decide to fight the system, just to fight the system.....then they get thier dick knocked in the dirt and cry like a bitch.....personally I find it funny.

Can cops be assholes? sure they can...but no worse than any other asshole I see on the street every day, or meet on an internet forum.

LOL...shoulda tazered the girlfriend too when she jumped out of the car.....moron.

There is a time and place to argue your case......on the side of the road is not the place...take the ticket, go to court and argue it there.

Deudalus

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Wheezer
Some people do not like any show of superiority towards them. They decide to fight the system, just to fight the system.....then they get thier dick knocked in the dirt and cry like a bitch.....personally I find it funny.

Can cops be assholes? sure they can...but no worse than any other asshole I see on the street every day, or meet on an internet forum.

LOL...shoulda tazered the girlfriend too when she jumped out of the car.....moron.

There is a time and place to argue your case......on the side of the road is not the place...take the ticket, go to court and argue it there.

QFT

maluckey

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2003
Wheezer,

You SO get it!:laugh:

Take the argument to court. If you have to argue and be an ass, on the side of the road is not the time or place.

Disobeying a lawful order of a peace officer when his and your safety is at stake, can and WILL get you into a world of hurt. I can't count the number of jackasses that decided to be shithouse lawyers after I got them out of their cars. They were wrong, and more than a few paid for resisting.

Do as the officer says, don't be a smartass and you're on your way in a few minutes. That's exactly what my wife used to say to people that we knew, when they complained.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Completely justified. That idiot apparently thinks traffic infractions are up for debate on the spot, and brought it all on himself for disrespecting and challenging an officer. A solo officer mind you, so those advocating a tackle are missing the point in addition to incorrectly assuming that a tackle would have been safer or easier. You don't tie yourself up in a scuffle when there's other people in the vehicle - that's how cops get killed. People get bruises, cuts, and broken bones from having a full contact wrestling on concrete - exactly the reason cops are issued Tasers.

If the driver hadn't been a dick and challenged the authority of the officer by ignoring his commands none of that would have happened. If this was a case of police brutality, I'd be the first to decry it. That officer handled that situation just the way he should have.

If he had gone to the ground with an agitated suspect to subdue him and the suspect ended up with road rash, a black eye, maybe a sprained hand and some cuts, everyone would be up in arms over the officer not employing a trauma-free solution like the one he was issued.

And ladies - do your men a favor and STFU!

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Jaskalas
Physically stopping the man via tackle or whatever isn?t life threatening. A taser can be lethal. This is abuse except in cases to stop violence.

Tasers are not lethal. Tasers are a non-lethal weapon.

Sure, they can potentially be used to the point of being lethal, but so can a baton or a even a flashlight.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

First of all, the e-hard line doesn't really give me the shivers.

Second of all, you can claim to do whatever you want out in the real world but typically when someone resorts to "OMG I DO THIS IRL" it means they not only cannot back up their argument, but also that they are retarded.

Furthermore, I sincerely doubt someone named "Boberfett" is past their teenage years.

Whatever you say, dipshit. :roll:

Not only am I stupid teenager, I've been posting on Anandtech since I was four years old. Either that or I'm a 133t hacker who broke in and changed the Joined date on my account. Either way I'm a wunderkid. Bow before me, loser!

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Heaven forbid that a cop should have to listen to someone who feels he is getting an unfair ticket.

Would it have killed the cop to let the man have his say and then see if he would sign the ticket? He must have been in a hurry to get to his coffee and doughnut break.

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Heaven forbid that a cop should have to listen to someone who feels he is getting an unfair ticket.

Would it have killed the cop to let the man have his say and then see if he would sign the ticket? He must have been in a hurry to get to his coffee and doughnut break.

listen if you watch the video he had his child in the car.

What does that tell you?

That should tell you that by arguing with the officer and forcing the officer into a situation where he (the officer) decided that the man should step out of the vehicle, since he (driver) instigated the situation he put not just himself, but the officer, his wife/gf AND the child at risk of injury on a busy highway....bright fellow.

(for that alone he should have been tazed IMO.)

But that is another issue.

The rule of thumb for ANYONE with ANY common sense is this....in any situation where someone has a gun/knife/tazer/tear gas/...<insert weapon here> and is demanding something from you...justified or not in your opinion...keep your mouth shut and listen.

For those without such common sense...read my sig.

Again...and I cannot stress this enough...the side of a highway is NOT...I repeat...NOT the place to argue a speeding ticket....not only are you NOT going to win...you are putting your life and others at risk.

Physically stopping the man via tackle or whatever isn?t life threatening. A taser can be lethal. This is abuse except in cases to stop violence.

Was it just me or did anyone else notice the traffic speeding by?...yes tackling him in front of a truck doing 35-40 or what ever the speed was is NOT life threatening to anyone.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: kage69
Completely justified. That idiot apparently thinks traffic infractions are up for debate on the spot, and brought it all on himself for disrespecting and challenging an officer. A solo officer mind you, so those advocating a tackle are missing the point in addition to incorrectly assuming that a tackle would have been safer or easier. You don't tie yourself up in a scuffle when there's other people in the vehicle - that's how cops get killed. People get bruises, cuts, and broken bones from having a full contact wrestling on concrete - exactly the reason cops are issued Tasers.

If the driver hadn't been a dick and challenged the authority of the officer by ignoring his commands none of that would have happened. If this was a case of police brutality, I'd be the first to decry it. That officer handled that situation just the way he should have.

If he had gone to the ground with an agitated suspect to subdue him and the suspect ended up with road rash, a black eye, maybe a sprained hand and some cuts, everyone would be up in arms over the officer not employing a trauma-free solution like the one he was issued.

And ladies - do your men a favor and STFU!

You're right, I would have been pissed then too because NEITHER should have happened if the officer was doing his job correctly. The question is not if the cop can subdue someone resisting arrest, its that what happened here is TOTALLY out of line with the severity of the infraction and the cop did nothing to prevent the escalation to the point of tazering... in fact he helped cause it.

The cop's judgement was shockingly poor, and he's going to get someone hurt or killed someday because he doesn't understand the basics of law enforcement. You're supposed to be protecting and serving the citizenry, not making sure they Respect Your Power As A Police Officer. The cop jumped at the first chance he had to arrest the guy, and then jumped at the first chance he had to assault him. This is inexcusable.

maluckey

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2003
So eskimospy,

When said "victim" gets into car, pulls gun and shoots said officer dead (which has happened more than once) what do you suggest that the cop should have done to not get shot?

Strong words are a poor substitute for someone with zero respect for you in the first place. Wrestling in a busy street is stupidity, and shooting him is just not an option until he shows ability and intent to cause grave injury to himself or the community at large.

Read up on the Nacgodoches incident and see what happens to officers that try to be relaxed and cool about a traffic stop without backup. They get dead when things go wrong. In that incident the passengers also disregarded the cop, then killed him after a short wrestling match...with his own gun (which is a liability in a wrestling match).

I know that you're not a cop or soldier, but try to put yourself in their place and see that the cop has a right to not get killed for some asshat that feels that the law doen't apply to him/her. Ignoring poor behavior is not an option, as it only enables and encourages more of the same. The first thing that you learn in the academy is that YOU are in control, and it's at your OWN peril if you relinquish that control.

Granted, with experience in this come a deeper understanding of the dynamics and norms of each situation, but lack of assuming that someone wants you dead will get you dead with a quickness.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

Dummy didn't want to sign the citation. That means you are under arrest. Dude resisted arrest.

The dummy doesn't get to have his say here, that's what court is for. I'm being serious, it really is just that simple to understand. Plus this guy was being a little "You can't do this, I know the law better than you!" - that's just asking for it right there. A little common sense would go a long way.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: maluckey
So eskimospy,

When said "victim" gets into car, pulls gun and shoots said officer dead (which has happened more than once) what do you suggest that the cop should have done to not get shot?

Strong words are a poor substitute for someone with zero respect for you in the first place. Wrestling in a busy street is stupidity, and shooting him is just not an option until he shows ability and intent to cause grave injury to himself or the community at large.

Read up on the Nacgodoches incident and see what happens to officers that try to be relaxed and cool about a traffic stop without backup. They get dead when things go wrong. In that incident the passengers also disregarded the cop, then killed him after a short wrestling match...with his own gun (which is a liability in a wrestling match).

I know that you're not a cop or soldier, but try to put yourself in their place and see that the cop has a right to not get killed for some asshat that feels that the law doen't apply to him/her. Ignoring poor behavior is not an option, as it only enables and encourages more of the same. The first thing that you learn in the academy is that YOU are in control, and it's at your OWN peril if you relinquish that control.

Granted, with experience in this come a deeper understanding of the dynamics and norms of each situation, but lack of assuming that someone wants you dead will get you dead with a quickness.

First of all I never said he should have wrestled him down, I am faulting him for poor performance of his duties in ever letting it get to that point. If you watch the tape the officer could have handled it in one of half a dozen ways that most likely would not have ended up with a tazer being used, or at a minimum would have been far more justified in doing so. How about telling the guy that if he doesn't sign the ticket he will be arrested instead of immediately choosing to arrest him without explanation? That alone would have probably done wonders. The cop was on a power trip, plain and simple. He was pissed off that the guy was giving him shit, and he figured he'd teach him a lesson. We don't need cops like that.

You're actually a bit wrong on the cop/soldier thing. Well, I was in the navy... but I've probably spent 500-1000 hours standing watch at posts, gates, etc where you have to operate in at least a reasonably similar manner. I've dealt with assholes, drunks, people trying to sneak stuff by me, etc... and I never once had to resort to violence to resolve it.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
If the guy had a gun and shot the cop back, and I was on the jury, I would have voted to acquit.

maluckey

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2003
I've dealt with assholes, drunks, people trying to sneak stuff by me, etc... and I never once had to resort to violence to resolve it.

Good start! :beer: but not quite the same as having some butthead wanting you dead.

It's different when there is NO way to take back the bullet lodged in your chest for trusting that the subject doesn't want you dead. The stakes are high, and sometimes deadly to a cop or a door kicker.

Hindsight is 20/20. It's hard to believe that in that cops head he was likely thinking about what this guy would do if he got to the car. Visions of shotguns and pistols likely came to mind. A drive-off was not likely the biggest thing on his mind.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I?m not about bashing cops. I?m about them having rules to follow, and the public in general should be the ones to make those rules.

You want to be tasered for non-violence?

May 16, 2000
I'm usually for taser use...but only in cases of active resistance. NEVER passive resistance. It's a tool of escalation of force, to be used when the suspect raises the bar into the realm of the physical. To use it any other time is tantamount to torture, an abuse of power, and should result in dismissal from any position of authority permanently.