Taser shows off new products

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Pop Mechanics (Video in link)

Continuing to strike fear into the hearts of, well, everyone, Taser has released an electrified round that works with any 12-gauge shotgun. The Wireless eXtended Range Electronic Projectile, or XREP, is a fin-stabilized, self-contained round with no wires leading back to the gun and a maximum range of 100 ft. Previous Tasers, such as the C2 civilian model I was hit with a few months ago, are only useful within around 30 ft.

The XREP punctures the target with multiple probes, and then unspools to dangle from the unfortunate belligerent's body, all the while applying Taser's infamous rapid-fire electrical pulses. As an added bonus, any helpful passerby trying to yank the XREP out of the target before the 20-second discharge cycle is finished will also get zapped, thanks to a "hand-trap wire" that's nestled
in among the other hanging cables.

Taser issued limited XREP details last week, along with news of a Taser-armed robot and what amounts to a Taser landmine, but full specs were released today during the annual Taser tactical conference in Chicago. The company also released demonstration photos and footage (check it out at right), showing an iRobot packbot firing on a shirtless human, and an XREP round being embedded in a test subject. The good news: All of these new products will be restricted to law enforcement and military personnel. The bad news: The mass overtaking of humanity by Taser-toting robots and their shotgun-toting collaborators is only a matter of time. ?Erik Sofge

See Taser's footage of their own gadgets in action:

Merchandising, merchandising, where the real money is made. Taser-the T-shirt, Taser-the Coloring Book, Taser-the Lunch box, Taser-the Breakfast Cereal, Taser-the Flame Thrower.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Originally posted by: paulxcook
That taser round for the shotgun sounds particularly nasty.

Sounds awesome to me, specially if the target is a tweaker.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I'm waiting for the retro line of Taser products; the Taser Slingshot and Taser Catapult.

WTF do you need a Taser shotgun for? :confused:

KT

Saga

Banned
Feb 18, 2005
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
I'm waiting for the retro line of Taser products; the Taser Slingshot and Taser Catapult.

WTF do you need a Taser shotgun for? :confused:

KT

If you view the video, a shotgun is perfect. I was a little confused when they talked about a 100 foot range from a shotgun, until I watched the video.

Basically it's a shotgun shell with fins, so the round itself sails through the air straight on like a missile to the target. Shotguns were ideal because of the load required to be carried in the bullet for it to be effective.

Kind of neat. And scary.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
It isn't mentioned in this article, but one of the nasty things about the Taser Shotgun Shell is that if someone else tries to remove it from the person that it is attached to, it will shock them them too.

Saga

Banned
Feb 18, 2005
Originally posted by: Queasy
It isn't mentioned in this article, but one of the nasty things about the Taser Shotgun Shell is that if someone else tries to remove it from the person that it is attached to, it will shock them them too.

I find this to be of dubious practical use in combat situations where the opponent is likely to be wearing gloves.

paulxcook

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
Poor scientist guy. He looked like a muppet when he got shot.

Wouldn't the electricity transfer to the people holding him? Well obviously it didn't, but why? His clothes?

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Izusaga
Originally posted by: Queasy

I find this to be of dubious practical use in combat situations where the opponent is likely to be wearing gloves.

No, but this is of very practical use in police situations. Also, I haven't seen many pictures of the insurgents/terrorists in Iraq, Afghanistan, and elsewhere wearing gloves.