TAS Project for February 2010 --- EDGeS@Home

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
And more will it be - I am aiming at an RAC of 10K ... :) and would like to end up with more than 300K in cobblestones ... but that may be somewhat too high a goal ... ;)

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
We're 8th place as TeAm and almost half-way towards a another million TeAm milestone! :cool:

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
My computers are still puttering away with queues full of SIMAP jobs. I'm tempted to shut off SIMAP just so they will do something with the Edges project instead...

rabrittain

Dec 28, 2006
Tue, 02/16/2010, ~1620 utc

The database is locked up on primegrid - can't download or upload tasks - less than 2 hours left in race. I'll be joining you soon.

edit - ~1635 utc
I was wrong - the race ends on the 17th, not the 16th. It will be another day before I can join you.

Last edited:

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
We have
8 TeAm-mates among the top-20-producers,
5 TeAm-mates among the top-10-producers.

We have an RAC of 32 553 credits, which is almost double of the RAC of our closest competitor.

8 of our computers are among the top-20 (Salvorhardin's is the second...)
15 of our computers among the top-50.

If you look here you'll se that the whole project's performance has increased since we ended most of SIMAP and moved over to EDGeS ... nice graphs BTW ... ;)

I think we can be proud of this month's work.

Rudy Toody

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2006
Thanks for the info, Peter!

Moments ago UPS delivered the final piece to a rig I am building for a neighbor. With me throwing in an old PSU and 2 sticks of ram, the whole thing came to $308.00! Thanks to NewEgg, MWave and Amazon for their sales and free-shipping deals. I will assemble it shortly and soon have a Trid to go with my Quads. I will be using it to crunch until he pays off his monthly installments.

Then rabrittain will install Win XP* and I will set up BOINC for SIMAP, Orbit, Malaria Control and Leiden Classical.

* I refuse to touch XP again now that I have found Linux.

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
We have
8 TeAm-mates among the top-20-producers,
5 TeAm-mates among the top-10-producers.

We have an RAC of 32 553 credits, which is almost double of the RAC of our closest competitor.

8 of our computers are among the top-20 (Salvorhardin's is the second...)
15 of our computers among the top-50.

If you look here you'll se that the whole project's performance has increased since we ended most of SIMAP and moved over to EDGeS ... nice graphs BTW ... ;)

I think we can be proud of this month's work.

Woohoo! We (Chocobo Navy) are #17. Not bad. :D

filibusterman

Golden Member
Apr 2, 2005
I was reading a while back here on the forums that production on linux was much higher than with windows systems. Is this true?

If so I am getting some compputers up and running this week and I would be willing to install ubuntu or some other linux os on there if someone could suggest if it is worth it.

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
I was reading a while back here on the forums that production on linux was much higher than with windows systems. Is this true?

If so I am getting some compputers up and running this week and I would be willing to install ubuntu or some other linux os on there if someone could suggest if it is worth it.

It all depends on the project. For example, Spinhenge@home is awful on linux (half the credits vs windows). Folding@home smp on 64-bit linux is clearly superior to windows (2x the credits) but that advantage is probably going away since they are going to a multi-threaded version of smp soon. If you choose linux, go with a 64-bit version. The big advantage of linux is it's free. It always makes me physically ill to fork over 100-200 dollars for an OS license.

That being said, all 3 of my systems are dual boot (ubuntu 9.10, 64 bit, windows XP or 7).

EDIT: It all depends on how much time the project scientists spend on compiling the apps. The commercial compilers for Windows are quite good, I think (no experience for me). On linux, most use gcc (free again). On one project, the source code was available so I spent some time recompiling the app with standard optimizations turned on and was able to get a 30-40&#37; increase in crunch time on linux. From what I've read, gcc development lags a bit behind development on windows compiler development. gcc is open source and depends on volunteers to push development.

Last edited:

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
I think my stubborn/disobedient computers are all finally working on the EDGeS project and not pulling any new SIMAP jobs. I'm already far behind the rest of you, but I hope to get to 150K by the end of the month as long as my computers don't have a "relapse" and start working on SIMAP again...

Rudy Toody

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2006
Yesterday, I discovered that one quad does not like Italian Roast coffee.

I cleaned it up and let it dry overnight, Now I will diagnose the lack of boot. Symptoms indicate it is most likely
the PSU.

This will make me a day late getting the new trid online.

dajeepster

Golden Member
Apr 15, 2001
Yesterday, I discovered that one quad does not like Italian Roast coffee.

I cleaned it up and let it dry overnight, Now I will diagnose the lack of boot. Symptoms indicate it is most likely
the PSU.

This will make me a day late getting the new trid online.

try columbian next time :D

Rudy Toody

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2006
Now I have the trid (X3) running at a modest 2.5GHz OC from 2.3.

Or should I be calling the X3 the tric so one has the dual, tric and quad?

Or should I called it X3 and be happy with it?

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
I guess I can stick with Italian!

Apparently, all it needed was to dry out for the night. It booted right up. I will let it run for a day before over-clocking again.

Hopefully there was no cream and sugar! D:

Perhaps an Italian "dry" roast next time! :hmm:

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
We have produced more than 70 K in the past 24h and will reach the 1 000 000 milestone within 3 - 4 days ... not too shabby.

Lets crunch more, More, MOre, MORe, MORE!

filibusterman

Golden Member
Apr 2, 2005
I hope never to find out if my rigs are coffee drinkers....Maybe I should make them ponchos. I'll have to take some pictures of my latest rig build I got creative but I have to work on airflow. The HSF is a wierd one gigabite rocket blows all the air downward so it may be screwing up my flow.