Tap water or bottled water?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I still find it incredible that people manage to sell water for $1 a bottle. :Q
Imagine how many years it took to market that.

1920: "Hey, I've got an idea. Let's sell bottles of water as well as bottles of soda" "Don't be stupid. No one would buy bottled water."

1930: "Hey, I've got an idea. Let's sell bottles of water as well as bottles of soda" "Don't be retarded. No one would buy bottled water."

1940: "Hey, I've got an idea. Let's sell bottles of water as well as bottles of soda" "Don't be an idiot. No one would buy bottled water."

1950: "Hey, I've got an idea. Let's sell bottles of water as well as bottles of soda" "Stupid idea. You're fired."

Then one day, someone said "I'll bet you that if I put this tap water in a bottle, I can sell it for $1 a bottle" (yes, many brands of bottled water are no more than tap water.) "you're on."

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Where I live now the water tastes better than bottled. Bottled water has a plastic musty aroma and flavor. I have lived and visited areas where the water was rank and bottled water was the only way to go.

TwinkleToes77

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2002
the only reason i bought a case of bottled water was because i was getting sick of refilling bottles to take to the gym.. so i spent $5 and bought 30 bottles or whatever. But i prefer tap water.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Filtered tap water here. I use Brita since that was the only company around when I got my pitcher. That pitcher is still going strong. $10 a year for additional filters. Where is the $500 you spend on bottled water?

Edit: math assumes one bottled water per day purchased at a typical vending machine or convenience store for one full year. Adjust those numbers if you wish.

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001
Originally posted by: guyver01
Bottled Water == tap water

no difference.
Um... no? I'm sure this is the case for some bottlers, but you can't lump all bottled water together like that.

Personly, I hate straight from the tap water with a passion. Anything is better than tap, even those BS Britta filters, but nothing is better than my reverse osmosis system :D

KEV1N

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2000
I live in Davis, CA and there's a lot of surrounding agriculture. This means, nasty runoff in our water. You can chew the tap water here. Hence- bottled!

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
I buy Ozarka in bulk at Costco (weee!), but I also will use my PUR water filter thingy at home as well.

Also, I am not so sure about the EPA regulation thingy. First off, the FDA has to approve any product that is sold to consumers, not the EPA. However, that being said there is no current regulated definition of what 'water' is. You got the spring water, the carbonated water, distilled water, etcetera. Most people and companies follow the basic definition, however there is no legal nor regulatory definition of what 'water' can be.

One lab I worked at where we did a lot of environmental testing, we got bottled water from some organization that was selling it for a fund raiser. Anyhow, they wanted to cover their behinds by making sure they were selling a product that was 'safe' to consume. Needless to say it did not have anything in it that it should not have. However that does go to say that manufacturers can bottle a whole slew of different stuff and call it 'water'.

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Originally posted by: DrPizza
I still find it incredible that people manage to sell water for $1 a bottle. :Q
Imagine how many years it took to market that.

1920: "Hey, I've got an idea. Let's sell bottles of water as well as bottles of soda" "Don't be stupid. No one would buy bottled water."

1930: "Hey, I've got an idea. Let's sell bottles of water as well as bottles of soda" "Don't be retarded. No one would buy bottled water."

1940: "Hey, I've got an idea. Let's sell bottles of water as well as bottles of soda" "Don't be an idiot. No one would buy bottled water."

1950: "Hey, I've got an idea. Let's sell bottles of water as well as bottles of soda" "Stupid idea. You're fired."

Then one day, someone said "I'll bet you that if I put this tap water in a bottle, I can sell it for $1 a bottle" (yes, many brands of bottled water are no more than tap water.) "you're on."

Tap water often comes from the same place as bottled water... aquifers. But some aquifers, I wouldn't drink from. The ground can only filter physical particles, not chemicals. So don't drink from a spring just because it's a spring.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I buy bottled water. but i buy the cheap wal-mart brand its something like $.40 a gallon.

i started getting it because i lived on a farm. The water from the well was really bad and the cost of putting in a new one was really expensive. Now that we live in town the water out of the tap is disgusting. it has stuff floating in it. its reallly nasty.

havent tried the brita water yet but we are planning to move hopefully this summer.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: XZeroII
I was talking to someone who used to work for the EPA or some other organization last year and they told me that there are ZERO regulations on bottled water. There are regulations on soda, juice or any other drink you buy, but not bottled water. They could bottle swamp water if they wanted. They could bottle water contaminated with a disease, no problems. I don't trust bottled water anymore.

He or she was wrong: REGULATIONS

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Originally posted by: Dr Smooth
Originally posted by: XZeroII
I was talking to someone who used to work for the EPA or some other organization last year and they told me that there are ZERO regulations on bottled water. There are regulations on soda, juice or any other drink you buy, but not bottled water. They could bottle swamp water if they wanted. They could bottle water contaminated with a disease, no problems. I don't trust bottled water anymore.

He or she was wrong: REGULATIONS

Seltzer, soda water and tonic water are considered soft drinks; therefore, they are excluded from these regulations.

Weird.