Tall rider, bike reccomendations?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

maluckey

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2003
A used KLR650 is the Toyota Helix of motorcycles.
It will survive pothole ridden streets
It will survive civil wars
It will handle touring.
It could probably handle blizzards if you can find away to attach a plow to it.

The SV-650 is the Miata of motorcycles.
You can track day it. You commute with it. You probably stick an LS1 in it if you tried hard enough. You can tell everyone that the answer is always SV-650.

The Kawie is for when the roads are imperfect.
The SV-650 is for when the roads are perfect.

You can find examples in great shape for under 3 grand.

My vote is that you buy both. It covers all bases and fits you stated budget

Adding to list of possible bikes. A quick check showed a loyal following of riders and modifications.

M

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
Anyone know anything about the Suzuki drz400sm? I found one not too far away, and the price is nice. New tires, good maintenance, and adult ridden. Could be the ticket?

M

Nice for the back roads. I love the upright dirt bike riding position but it isn't everyones cup of tea. Super light weight and seriously hoon wheelie machine. I've only ridden the S version mostly trails and liked it alot. The interstate is not really it's thing though.

The bigger 650 is more versatile IMHO. I rode one for a week in Big Bend park down in texas. One of the greatest trips ever.

That being said I'd pick a Vstrom. I'm older and not as inclined to do serious mountain goat riding. It would spend most it's time on the road. A Vstrom or maybe a Kawi Versys would be good choices for taller riders.

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
I still own my RD400, too bad it doesn't run.
My buddy owns a DRZ, I've never ridden it but I understand it is very squirrelly, an expert's bike.
I have a friend who owns a BMW with the telelever front suspension, that is a man's bike.
I would look at German bikes, they're made for big dudes. Maybe KTM?

Nessism

Golden Member
Dec 2, 1999
With a budget of $6000 you can get TWO bikes!

1) Suzuki 1200 Bandit. The swiss army knife of motorcycles.;)

2) Kawasaki KLR650. Around the world in 80 days. Ready set go!

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
I'll recommend something else if you're tall - a TDM900. They're built for larger people, unlike most japanese bikes. I've had both a strom650 and a TDM850, the strom was comfier but the 900 is much more modern than the 850, with much better components and slightly more power.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I still own my RD400, too bad it doesn't run.
My buddy owns a DRZ, I've never ridden it but I understand it is very squirrelly, an expert's bike.
I have a friend who owns a BMW with the telelever front suspension, that is a man's bike.
I would look at German bikes, they're made for big dudes. Maybe KTM?

A friend of mine had a BMW R1150R with the telelever suspension. He let me ride it a couple times and man, that is a heavy bike and it feels heavy when you ride it too. It isn't a great canyon carver nor is it a great around the town bike. He bought it used, owned and rode it for a year and a half and sold it for about what he paid for it ($7k). He test rode a new R1200R but felt they were WAY overpriced for what you get.