talk to me.. Who else sees the "war on drugs" as terrorism?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Is the war on drugs a form of terrorism

• The amount of money gangs receive from selling drugs is sicneking and grows the CRIME RATE

• war on drugs is divined by God

• Remove the penalties and drugs will never have gangs promoting them etc

Results are only viewable after voting.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Its funny watching liberals slam government for the regulation of drugs but the justification that allows the federal government to regulate drugs such as marijuana is also the same justification used to back much of the liberal programs that are bankrupting government.

Uhh... couldn't the exact same be said of conservatives? i.e. the WAR on drugs, the WAR in Iraq, etc etc ad naseum....

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Please tell me how growing marijuana in my back yard and personally smoking it has anything to do with interstate commerce?

The idea that the lack of interstate commerce falls under the regulation of interstate commerce is the justification for nearly every liberal policy.

Then how come the Feds (up until the recent decision from the Obama admin) won't let people grow marijuana in their back yard and personally smoke it, even if the states those people live in allow that, and you support that policy?

I don't think you understand interstate commerce. Straw man, meet partisan dipshit.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
You could legalize them and remove the crime related to their distribution. Congratulations. Then you end up with a whack of legalized drugs, but that's ok because legal drugs have never caused anybody any harm. I've never heard of people having issues with drinking or anything, that's absurd.

Anyway these threads always take the same path, ALWAYS.

War on drugs sucks, so do drugs, that's all I have to say on it :)

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
Vic,

If you don't understand that the Interstate Commerce clause is highly abused, then, may I sell you this Brooklyn Bridge?

Interstate commerce is so overused as to be sick, and absolutely NOT what our founding fathers could have imagined.

-John

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Terrorism? Hardly. That word gets thrown around so much these days it has essentially lost all meaning. Although I do believe that drugs are harmful to society, the 'war on drugs' has a far greater cost. This turned out to be the same thing with regards to alcohol and prohibition. It is time we as a society took a step back and reevaluated the situation.

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
You could legalize them and remove the crime related to their distribution. Congratulations. Then you end up with a whack of legalized drugs, but that's ok because legal drugs have never caused anybody any harm. I've never heard of people having issues with drinking or anything, that's absurd.

I understand drugs are scary to you, and you should avoid them.

Other people enjoy drugs, and don't put their babies in microwave ovens by mistake.

-John

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I would be ok with the government releasing lethal versions of the "hard" drugs on the cheap and killing of the users to lower demand. With legalized drugs I fear that we would have more DWI and other instances of problems from drug use. There are probably many people that don't try drugs because they are illegal. I realize my views aren't shared by many since I don't even like alcohol.

Please provide evidence that prohibition prevents people from drug use, and the problems associated with. Every unbiased study doesn't agree. And in the meantime, the problems associated with drug use exist regardless. IOW, there are drug users DWI-ing right now, and no amount of draconian drugs laws can stop them.

The thing is that there is almost no one who doesn't try drugs because they are illegal. Even you admit you that don't do drugs because they are illegal, but because you don't like drugs. While in the meantime, there are countless people who do drugs just because they are illegal.

Quite frankly, you're uninformed, and a perfect example of why pure democracy doesn't work. It doesn't affect you, so why not?

Why not is the resultant abuse of govt power and the subsequent loss of our freedoms, all of our freeoms. I could not give a shit about drugs. But I care deeply about the others.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Vic,

If you don't understand that the Interstate Commerce clause is highly abused, then, may I sell you this Brooklyn Bridge?

Interstate commerce is so overused as to be sick, and absolutely NOT what our founding fathers could have imagined.

-John

Don't be obtuse. Patranus' reference to the Interstate commerce clause was out-of-context straw man.

Look... every conservative who pretends to believe in small govt eventually has to decide which is more important to him... small govt, or the cultural war. If you're a conservative who believes in the drug war, then you fail.

Meh. think of this way. You're worried about govt telling people what to do with their money, but you'll support govt telling people they can buy, sell, and even own? Whoops!

Prohibition is the tip of the iceberg, pal. A govt that can tell you that you can't buy and sell weed is a govt that can tell you that you can't buy and sell anything, without its leave. It just takes one common thing, and the justification for taking everything else is the same.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

So why have the war? Let people figure it out for themselves.

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
His reference to the Interstate Clause was totally justified, due to the abuse, we the people, get from the Interstate Clause. The Interstate Clause is close too if not, the worst interpreted clause in the Constitution, and if you are not scared, then you are living in a dream world.

I just think it is awesome, that Governments seem to be losing this war on drugs, to their own people.

It's kind of sick, how long they have stopped us, but it is sicker that we are starting to win.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
The logic is just so full of fail, especially when it comes to MJ. 1/2 million deaths per year from our favorite plant, tobacco. Completely legal. Fermented fruits and grains, 85K deaths per year.

Make tobacco and alcohol illegal and MJ legal. That would make for an interesting world...