Talk Radio going over the edge?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
You keep telling yourself that.

I don't have to. The Republican party keeps telling me that. I am watching some Republicans attempting to moderate their views since the election and the right wing media is tearing into them with a passion. A political party that has as its guiding principle purity and orthodoxy is not flexible enough to deal with changing times.

The current version of the Republican party has had its day. The fact that so many Republicans are unwilling to accept that just means their fall will take longer.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
I don't have to. The Republican party keeps telling me that. I am watching some Republicans attempting to moderate their views since the election and the right wing media is tearing into them with a passion. A political party that has as its guiding principle purity and orthodoxy is not flexible enough to deal with changing times.

The current version of the Republican party has had its day. The fact that so many Republicans are unwilling to accept that just means their fall will take longer.

Funny, we all heard the same thing about Democrats while the Republicans held the White House from 1980-1992 (3 terms) and 2000-2008 (2 terms). Let's see how things look in 4 more years, if Obama's/Democrat's policies don't improve the economy or make things better for Americans don't be surprised if a Republican wins in 2016.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007

I guess you are forgetting 2010. You are also forgetting that history has shown a cycle of voting one side in the majority for a while and then they get replaced. You are also trying to base a trend on what you are hearing from Fox and MSNBC.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
How does our society work. Isn't the objective of our society personal success based on finding and filling a desire people have. How has that worked, say by turning the resources of the earth into products to be returned to land fills, employing the people of the world to eat it? And isn't the goal to become extremely efficient at it?

We live in a world driven by personal need and personal selfishness, harnessing the desire for survival and the love of personal physical safety and pleasure, the channeling of human selfishness via rules and law. We have created a world filled with desire, lust, envy, insecurity and fear because these emotions sell things. There are always a sufficient supply of sociopaths and psychopaths to manipulate others at the price of human life itself, for their own personal gain.

Welcome to the real world, a world in which you are only a battery that has had the wool pulled over your eyes.

All of the devices your genes have invented to propagate themselves one more generation are used now by the system against you and against all life on earth.

Competition is hostility. In politics that means that team cohesion and team success are fostered by anger and rage. In the talk show business audience size is based on the number of folk you can gather to get their rage fix. It's all about money, numbers, and winning. Only the ego self matters.

People want to change parties but they really need to first be free of the system. Only those who are free of it can see enough to change it. Humanity is like ants under an overturned tea cup scrambling everywhere to no purpose.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I guess you are forgetting 2010. You are also forgetting that history has shown a cycle of voting one side in the majority for a while and then they get replaced. You are also trying to base a trend on what you are hearing from Fox and MSNBC.

Keep on believing that. 2010 was March 1943. The U boats sunk a record number of ships. Then by May things were so bad for the U boats they called it Black May.

After 2008 many new and young voters thought they had fixed things. They had swept out the old and put the country on the right path. They stayed home in droves in 2010. At the same time the shock and awe of a black President brought out every Republican voter from every possible corner. Add that to the House Gerrymander that was in effect in 2010 and the Republicans had a very good year.

In 2012 the realization that they weren't going to change things with one election brought the new voters back in. And the Republicans have just kept losing voters to death.

Its the smart Admiral or General who doesn't just look at the picture today, but looks at what things will be like in the future. And the future is looking very dim for Republicans. Oh, they can still pull out an election, but it is getting harder and harder. 2012 was a clean sweep for the Dems, more votes for Pres and both Houses of Congress. And this was in the teeth of a very bad economy.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
MSNBS Chris Matthews or was it Lawrence O'Donnell has a little interesting tidbit on the 401k Friday nights show.
How the whole idea of the 401K was a little business scam created during the Nixon administration (naturally), to pass on business losses to the employee through the 401K employee retirement investment.
The name 401K was actually labeled from a nasty little business law # 401 down on the list.

I'm giving very vague detail because the segment was maybe 3 minutes long.
I'd have to listen to it again.
It was on Lawrence O'Donnell I believe.
Wish I'd recorded it. The subject needed a lot more airtime.
You never hear the news media cover stuff like this, not any more.
Lawrence O'Donnell had a guest that wrote a book on the 401k and how/why
business with the help of congress created this little "screw the worker retirement" scam.
The 401k is not your friend. It is the little legal tool business and walstreet created to take your money under the illusion of retirement security, while passing all their risk onto some poor working sucker.
Why do you think no one offers a pension to employees in today's business world, but rather the vulnerable market risky 401k retirement plan?

So concerning the above quote, your 401k has already been fully confiscated on the very day the idea was first proposed. The very first day you invested one red cent.
The pension was lifetime, protected, and reliable.
Can you say that about your 401k?
Do you believe these screw the employee scams just happen???

Ps. Tell your co worker has nothing to do with Obama.
He was screwed long before Obama was a out of diapers.

Yep, it's a damn trap. You'd feel like an idiot if you did not take advantage of it, but after over 30 years of participation, I'd probably done alot better laddering CD's and I would'nt have lost 40% about 2 years ago. Now you just hope that Wall Street isn't allowed to redisturbute my wealth again because God forbid we regulate them.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
There used to be a party for people like you. It was called the Republican Party, and it was, in the main, a sane, patriotic, and principled counterpart to the Democratic Party. And both, in the main, accepted each other as patriotic Americans who meant well for the Republic, but differed on points of fiscal and social policy.

We were all cold warriors then.

The extremes of each party were there but marginalized, and they did not have the megaphone of Limbaugh-like talk radio or For TV News to spew through.

Both parties had a core of centrists who were not really ideologues.

Then, the GOP made their devil's deal with the Dixiecrats and the evangelical yahoos, in order to forge an overwhelming electoral block based on God, Guns, and (anti-) Gays. Like all deals with the devil, it contained the seeds of its own destruction within it. Think of the fable of The Monkeys Paw. Be careful what you wish for. :(

You and I may differ on some points of policy, but I am proud to have you, a sane and principled conservative, as a fellow American and a member of the LOYAL opposition.

I wish for you, and for all of us, a national party that hears you and gives you a voice. I hope that is once again the Republican Party, a party with an extremely proud history, the party of Abraham Lincoln and Teddy Roosevelt and General of the Army Dwight David Eisenhower and Everett McKinley Dirksen, great Americans all.

Thank you Perk! I certainly hope that people of honor and optimism from all sides of the American tapestry can continue to work towards finding balance, a meaningful dialogue, and a path to better days by collaboration and mutual understanding rather than partisan hackery and divisive rhetoric. I'm not going to give up any time soon, I have a 5 year old and a two week old, and I'm fully aware that it's not political parties that make this country great, it's the principles of family, diversity, and the will to overcome that are the core of that.

Though I may not share all or even most of the typical policy stances of the average liberal American, I can understand the reasoning of most of them, and also know that the reasoning behind those stances is often something noble. I reject fully the tendency of *some* (hopefully not most) of my fellow conservatives to tend to duck/insult the very idea of applying intellectual and scientific methods towards solving the issues that darken the path ahead.

Common ground can be found. I wouldn't hesitate to say that we have a lot more in common than the partisan gasbags would try to have us believe. And our country needs voices like ours, that search for answers and positive paths rather than dwell on and ignite division and even hatred.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Funny, we all heard the same thing about Democrats while the Republicans held the White House from 1980-1992 (3 terms) and 2000-2008 (2 terms). Let's see how things look in 4 more years, if Obama's/Democrat's policies don't improve the economy or make things better for Americans don't be surprised if a Republican wins in 2016.

BTW - I don't recall Democrats(politicians and hoards of leftists) unmass threatening to leave the union when Bush was reelected.

Paranoid delusion much?? Or just crazy?