Talk me out of buying this 4K monitor

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
I tried to force myself to reconsider traditional monitors but I just can't stand the sub 50" peasantry anymore. There aren't many alternatives out there and even less info about them is available. Please post suggestions.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Hmm... my Korean monitors arrived intact. Including a 34" Ultrawide. But they were delivered vie FedEx, not UPS.

Coincidence? Or maybe it's just 40"+ where the risk increases exponentially.

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
Hmm... my Korean monitors arrived intact. Including a 34" Ultrawide. But they were delivered vie FedEx, not UPS.

Coincidence? Or maybe it's just 40"+ where the risk increases exponentially.
The latter I believe, size and weight. 42's have a a much better survival rate, I have not seen a seller discontinuing smaller models, quite a few discontinued 50"+ models.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
If you want to why not but I don't see a rush in getting a TV to use as a monitor. In that case best to shop around and get a good deal as there is a lot more competition and ease of availability.

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
It's too late to talk me out of it anyway...

If you want to why not but I don't see a rush in getting a TV to use as a monitor. In that case best to shop around and get a good deal as there is a lot more competition and ease of availability.

I've looked into TV's in the past but found reliable input lag test results only recently. I've spent the last two weeks researching TV's.

I am simply unable to find a perfect pixel, "true" monitor at this size range, much less a shipper both having one in stock and willing to ship via crate, despite my incentive to cover the cost of shipping via crate. Freesync would be nice, 1.3 DP too but we have yet to see 4K/60+ traditionally sized monitors, eventually a large 4K monitor will have the faster refresh rate panels (120Hz would be my guess) but I just don't want to wait anymore

Last edited:

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
I would go larger then personally. I think the reason to get a monitor that size is because it's the largest one out. With a TV you can even go larger. There have been reliable input tests you should head to avsforum though if you're looking at tvs for gaming and need input on how they perform. In general 4k tvs that are good have decent lag input times but nothing stellar.

My look right now is the Vizio p series as it has been for awhile due to the price and size available. Also check and see if hisense has any decent tvs out that are large with low input lag.

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
I had already stretched the budget, the monitor was $979, the 65" TV was $1600, 75" options go for a lot more.
I would go larger then personally. I think the reason to get a monitor that size is because it's the largest one out. With a TV you can even go larger. There have been reliable input tests you should head to avsforum though if you're looking at tvs for gaming and need input on how they perform. In general 4k tvs that are good have decent lag input times but nothing stellar.

My look right now is the Vizio p series as it has been for awhile due to the price and size available. Also check and see if hisense has any decent tvs out that are large with low input lag.

I had already stretched the budget, the monitor was $979, the 65" TV was $1600, 75" options go for a lot more. I spent a lot of time researching. Vizio P was a strong contender too. I loved everything I was reading and seeing about the P series, input lag and motion blur are great, then there's the FALD, the image quality tests impressive results, the prices weren't bad either. And then I found out all P series monitors fail 4:4:4 chroma @4k/60. KS8000 passes, input lag vs the Vizio isn't too bad either and lower price tip the scale for me.

My 27" 1440P catleap has 15ms input lag vs. the TV's 21ms, this shouldn't be too bad.
The TV is on it's way, maybe they don't break this one?

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
I don't think you'll be disappointed with 65. My last TV was 70 which was nice. The real issue to me is projectors aren't out for 4k at affordable prices. Projector for large screen is amazing

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
How's the TV?
https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...you-have-today.2374963/page-409#post-38452064

To answer your question, I don't know. It looks pretty good if you can ignore the bent frame, cracked screen and some very deep and nasty scratches. I don't know how much air time this THIRD display got but I don't see any burn marks from reentering the atmosphere so that's good.

It comes with a HDMI cable. I know because for once in my life, I ordered something in advance to have it available as soon as I need it and to avoid the best buy tax on "emergency" cables.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...you-have-today.2374963/page-409#post-38452064

To answer your question, I don't know. It looks pretty good if you can ignore the bent frame, cracked screen and some very deep and nasty scratches. I don't know how much air time this THIRD display got but I don't see any burn marks from reentering the atmosphere so that's good.

It comes with a HDMI cable. I know because for once in my life, I ordered something in advance to have it available as soon as I need it and to avoid the best buy tax on "emergency" cables.

You should have ordered an advance (working) TV to go with that $1600 HDMI cable that they sent you

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
You should have ordered an advance (working) TV to go with that $1600 HDMI cable that they sent you

I must have overlooked the *each sold separately line.

So, the last week has been extremely stressful and Friday night/Saturday morning I had my Michael Douglas in Falling Down moment.

The delivery of my 65" KS8000 was scheduled for Friday, with a 4 hour delivery window set between 12-4pm. It's crunch time at work, lots of OT, I had to leave at 4pm sharp as I instructed both the ebay store and the dispatcher for the shipping company. The TV is shipped on a pallet, a liftgate truck delivery, signature is required. At 4:05pm, I am already pissed, locking my door requires both arms so I set my coffee mug on the stair case rail, down the stairs comes my neighbor, let's call him the Flailing Arms man and knocks over my coffee, spilling all of it. Some granny is having a moment causing a jam at an intersection. I had to drive like an absolute maniac to compensate for the loss of time, had a close call as well. I manage to barely clock in on time, only to begin work on a disastrous day at work worst in the last 5 years at least. I somehow made it through the mandatory OT day, just about to start my weekend when the supervisors come up to me and drop forced OT on me, making me stay longer or face disciplinary actions if I leave. I stayed the extra overtime, without causing harm to anything or anyone.

5:05 am and I finally clock out, if rage was detectable in the visual spectrum, you would have observed mine from outer space. I drive home at half the speed I drove into work with and it's still above the speed limit. Fuck me if I haven't reached for the empty coffee mug at least 50 times. There is a cloud following me home. I finally park, get out and as I turn the corner, I see the TV. The driver just left it at the curb. I'm instantly energized and I manage to get the beast up the stairway. I unpack it and... the screen has a crack across the entire screen, The frame is bent at the top and there are scratches too.

I sat down and let an email to customer support write itself, luckily I edited 80% out just before I sent it. 5 minutes later, the ebay store accepted the return.

I wonder why the universe doesn't want me to use the computer at a 3840x2160 resolution.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Omg I know you aren't me and I could order the Wasabi mango monitor and get it perfectly working fine I bet but I'm terrified of ordering now lol.

The universe does want you to have 4k. Well at least I do and I count the most.

dualsmp

Golden Member
Aug 16, 2003
I cringe every time a store uses UPS for shipping large items. UPS abuses their shipments more than any other shipping company I've experienced.

Sometimes it's better to buy local. You might not get the lowest bottom dollar deal at Best Buy or wherever, but the merchandise will likely be intact when you get it home and returns are much easier.

Suijin

Aug 19, 2015
I don't know what city you are in, but Costco has the UN65KS800DFXZA in stock online and maybe in store. I believe that is the same as the KS8000.

I am in the same boat really wanting a big TV as a monitor, but leaning more toward the curved version due to sitting closer to it. Ideally I really wanted a freesync version like the wasabi, but nothing exists with 42"+ screen, freesync, 4K, and curved screen. I really like the OLED TVs but those are still kind of high priced yet, especially to convince the wife of.

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
I don't know what city you are in, but Costco has the UN65KS800DFXZA in stock online and maybe in store. I believe that is the same as the KS8000.

I am in the same boat really wanting a big TV as a monitor, but leaning more toward the curved version due to sitting closer to it. Ideally I really wanted a freesync version like the wasabi, but nothing exists with 42"+ screen, freesync, 4K, and curved screen. I really like the OLED TVs but those are still kind of high priced yet, especially to convince the wife of.
Yes, same thing as KS8000 except for dark bezel. Buying online= saving ~$150 tax and I get Paypal's 0% interest for 6 months. I'm sure even with the proximity of Costco to my TV stand at less than two miles, that's still a transit that could end up badly.

I'll tempt the 4K gods again. I'll buy from an ebay store that has 100% feedback on thousands of transactions.
I was debating waiting a little longer but having researched 4K displays back and forth, the reality is that the large monitor market is a niche (it shouldn't be) and inevitably low lag, large 4K monitor will sport DP 1.3 & 1.4 but it will be a while before those appear with 50"+ displays. OLED is interesting but not even Black Friday can drop one of the 65" variety on my TV stand for less than $2k. OLED is better than LCD but this LCD isn't bad at all, especially when you let it do it is input lag inducing trickery for input lag irrelevant tasks like watching a movie. At 65", nothing beats the Samsung in the $2k range, the display size, the input lag, the image quality and price eliminate other competitors one by one. Once again OLED is better but even in direct comparison, the KS is really not too far behind, it's a lot brighter than existing OLED's too.

Freesync would be nice, display ports too. 4K/60 is the limit until an upgrade is viable again. It's always better to pick a monitor over a TV doing monitor duty. All of these concerns remain. It's a lot more difficult to shop TV's from the PC perspective, the few that make it past other conditions often are disqualified by bad input lag or failing 4:4:4 chroma at 4K/60. Maybe the wiser thing would be to wait.

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
I'm really tempting the 4K gods now, got all the other 4K elements before the display.
I just bought the Corsair Lapdog, K70 keyboard for it, a second 980TI and a SLI bridge.
I found a online store in another state, saves ~$150 tax yet close enough to get the TV this week if paypal credit from the previous TV had restored. If I knew I would have scored an 980ti so easily, I could be playing this weekend, or staring at yet another broken display...

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
This is it, ladies and gentlemen, the 4th display is on it's way. White glove service this time around.
From the retailer's site:

What is white glove service?
This is a special service for large and overweight items. It includes normal delivery plus un-crating, setting your goods in place and removing the packing material. This service does not include installation of any type. The white glove delivery time is normally between 3 and 10 business days. Our carrier of choice will contact you directly to arrange a convenient delivery time.

Hopefully it's not just a guy in white gloves doing this:

giphy.gif

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
giphy.gif

shis6qed.jpg

I ordered from abt because it's relatively close, crated TV boxes and white glove service but I have to wait 10 days? And that log is a little confusing too lol.
I looked up this Pilot freight company's reviews, saw things on yelp that I wish I didn't. It can't happen 4 times? Right, guys?

dmoney1980

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2008
65" Samsung KS8000

I just got that exact same TV for my family room last week. Really good picture quality, pretty good with motion but I'm still messing with the motion settings to find the right setup. Prior to that I owned a 65" Sony x930d for about a week that had a really crappy panel (terrible uniformity, had a "cloudy effect" on grey or white screens). Glad I went with the KS and saved $600 to boot!

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
I've got a whole week to wait on mine, we'll see. Did you buy it online, how was it delivered?