Talk about one heck of a Home Theater Receiver

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000860028381/

"Not that we have $4,000 to spend on a home-theater receiver (why do you think we?re studying up on how to turn a Mac mini into a media center?), but if we did, Onkyo?s 7.1 channel TX-NR1000 would be a tempting option. The company calls it ?future-proof,? a marketing term that basically means ?we?ve thrown in every feature, connector, and port we can think of, including some nobody is ever going to use.? The really useful thing about this unit, though, is its modular nature. If it turns out that they really didn?t think of everything, you can pop a new module into the back of the box and be on your way."

More Links:
http://forums.designtechnica.c...ad.php?s=&postid=23048
http://www.gspr.com/onkyo/txnr1000.html
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-w...sp?g=10420&I=580TXNR1K

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
the electronics are nice, but what about the most important thing. the amplifiers?

poopaskoopa

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2000
If I ever buy that receiver, that's the side that's going to face the room so everyone can see it.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Why in the world would anyone spend 4k on a receiver, when you can get a separate preamp and amp that will be better?

Aug 16, 2001
OMG! I just like to get one and ask my Dad to 'just hook up the TV' LOL! He'd get a heart attack just seeing that beat.

I think the modular design is cool.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: KLin
4,000 bucks and it doesn't even have XLR outputs. what a waste.

yeah, probably sounds like all the other underpowered onkyo crap to boot.

what a waste.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
XLR outputs for what, people. Most of your consumers looking at receivers, low end or high end, are doing so because they don't want to bother with a pre/pro and amp. On top of that, a balanced XLR connection is great for long runs, but when your components sit within inches of one another, you will hear no difference. I want to know what you're running that simply cannot exist without XLR connections.

Other than that...there's a whole new generation of receivers coming out like that. You think $4000 is a bit much...our store's going to have the Lexicon receiver soon, and we already have the Denon 5805 that costs $6000.

yet again, you make me break my promise to not post in these threads...not anything useful, at least. :p

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: FrustratedUser
OMG! I just like to get one and ask my Dad to 'just hook up the TV' LOL! He'd get a heart attack just seeing that beat.

I think the modular design is cool.

I was thinking about the same thing for my wife. She'd faint.

mymess.jpg

Antoneo

Diamond Member
May 25, 2001
Originally posted by: EvilYoda
XLR outputs for what, people. Most of your consumers looking at receivers, low end or high end, are doing so because they don't want to bother with a pre/pro and amp. On top of that, a balanced XLR connection is great for long runs, but when your components sit within inches of one another, you will hear no difference. I want to know what you're running that simply cannot exist without XLR connections.

Other than that...there's a whole new generation of receivers coming out like that. You think $4000 is a bit much...our store's going to have the Lexicon receiver soon, and we already have the Denon 5805 that costs $6000.

yet again, you make me break my promise to not post in these threads...not anything useful, at least. :p

Hrmm, XLR is new to me. What is it?

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000

Because I want to be able to use my Mackie SRM450s without needing an RCA to XLR converter. :p

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
Originally posted by: KLin

Because I want to be able to use my Mackie SRM450s without needing an RCA to XLR converter. :p

Oh, waaah. :p :D

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

singal to noise ratio is a bitch, aint it? XLR.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
Riiiiiiiiight. Nevermind, my argument wasn't about theoretical stuff, I agree that XLR is absolutely a better option to unbalanced RCAs.

Shows me to go against my word...back to beating up my computer to make it work.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Riiiiiiiiight. Nevermind, my argument wasn't about theoretical stuff, I agree that XLR is absolutely a better option to unbalanced RCAs.

Shows me to go against my word...back to beating up my computer to make it work.

maybe you need some balanced RAM to help with errors you're getting?

heh.
;) c'mon, have some fun. I was laughing at the "just put a module in it!"

well if was a real receiver/pre the whole thing would be modular - need new audio processor? Add a card! Need no video processor? Add a card! Need 6 more digital inputs? Add a card!