Talk about "green" hypocrisy

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
This is too rich.
The WWF is inviting a few very rich people to fly around the world with them on a luxury jet.

What happened to cutting carbon emissions???
link
Join us on a remarkable 25-day journey by a luxury private jet. Touch down in some of the most astonishing places on the planet to see the top wildlife, including gorillas, orangutans, rhinos, lemurs and toucans. Explore natural and cultural treasures in remote areas of South America, the South Pacific, Southeast Asia and Africa.

To reach these remote corners, travel on a specially outfitted private jet that carries just 88 passengers in business-class comfort. World-class experts ? including WWF's director of species conservation ? will provide a series of lectures en route, and a professional staff will be devoted to making your global adventure seamless and memorable.
All this can be yours for only $64,950.

The average American produces 19.6 tons of CO2 annually.
During this three week trip each person onboard will create 14 tons of CO2.

This is very typical green hypocrisy. YOU need to save the world, I'll be in my mansion and flying around on my private jet.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Maybe the goal is to get insanely wealthy people to get into wildlife and then start donating to non-profits, if they aren't grossly overcharging for the trip itself.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
You'd be for it PJ, if they flew low enough to shoot wolves, polar bears and other endangered species from the emergency exit.

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
I thought the WWF is more concerned with conservation of wildlife and endangered species.

Look at wiki:
The World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) is an international non-governmental organization for the conservation, research and restoration of the environment, formerly named the World Wildlife Fund, which remains its official name in the United States and Canada. It is the world's largest independent conservation organization with over 5 million supporters worldwide, working in more than 90 countries, supporting 100 conservation and environmental projects around the world. It is a charity, with approximately 9% of its funding coming from voluntary donations by private individuals and businesses.

The group says its mission is "to halt and reverse the destruction of our environment".[4] Currently, much of its work focuses on the conservation of three biomes that contain most of the world's biodiversity: forests, freshwater ecosystems, and oceans and coasts. Among other issues, it is also concerned with endangered species, pollution and climate change. The organization runs more than 20 field projects worldwide in any given year.

History

The organization was formed as a charitable trust on September 11, 1961, in Morges, Switzerland, under the name World Wildlife Fund. It was an initiative of Julian Huxley and Max Nicholson, who had thirty years experience of linking progressive intellectuals with big business interests through the Political and Economic Planning think tank.

In its deed of foundation, the organization stated its original mission to be the "conservation of world fauna, flora, forests, landscape, water, soils and other natural resources by the management of land, research and investigation, and publicity, coordination of efforts, cooperation with other interested parties and all other appropriate means."[5]

In the last few years, the organization set up offices and operations around the world. The initial focus of its activities was the protection of endangered species. As more resources became available, its operations expanded into other areas such as the preservation of biological diversity, sustainable use of natural resources, and the reduction of pollution and wasteful consumption.

In 1986, the organization changed its name to World Wide Fund for Nature, retaining the WWF initials, to better reflect the scope of its activities. However, it continues to operate under the original name in the United States and Canada.[6]

We shan't save all we should like to, but we shall save a great deal more than if we had never tried. ? Sir Peter Scott [6]

WWF has been accused by a number of environmental groups and campaigners, such as Corporate Watch and PR Watch of being too close to businesses to campaign objectively.[citation needed] Their own Corporate Club provides promotional opportunities for companies to use the WWF name and logo as a promotional tool. Currently WWF is working with Coca-Cola, Nokia, Canon, and others to make conservation commitments.[1]

Previous donors have included Chevron and Exxon (each donating more than $50,000 in 1988), Philip Morris, Mobil, and Morgan Guaranty Trust and they are still in business until 2008.
It is concerned with climate change but it's not the core goal.
I see nothing wrong with traveling by elites to preserve natural habitats of wildlife.
Just because they are environmentalists doesn't mean they have to get beat up over CO2 emissions...

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
So is it the flying around that has you concerned or the fact that they will be breathing too much on this trip? I am having a hard time understanding what you are so upset about. BTW - when did people flying on jets become such a big issue with the anti-greens? I wonder what fucks our atomosphere up more, a bunch or plane rides or a cement factory.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
You'd be for it PJ, if they flew low enough to shoot wolves, polar bears and other endangered species from the emergency exit.
You obviously know nothing about me.

I am a strong supporter of protecting wildlife.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
PJ has just inspired me to sell my Prizm and go buy a Hummer.. if they can rape the earth I can rape the earth!