taking out loans for engineering master's degree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dear Summer

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2008
This will be done part time while I work a full time job. I didn't get any kind of scholarship, just loans in my financial aid package. It will cost me about 40k in loans. Is this the normal/average amount? How much did your Master's degree cost you?

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Do you expect a decent raise in pay to come from your Master's degree?

Some fields of engineer show little difference in salaries for undergraduate, Master's, and Ph.D. workers, while other show giant climbs in pay.

fisheerman

Oct 25, 2006
Not unless you need it to go into upper level management.

Some companies require it others don't.

Depends on what line of engineering you are in.

rsd

Platinum Member
Dec 30, 2003
Does your company offer some sort of tuition reimbursement. Many offer at least to the federal deductible amount of $5250/year, and some much more. I would inquire if you are not sure.

Dear Summer

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2008
Originally posted by: rsd
Does your company offer some sort of tuition reimbursement. Many offer at least to the federal deductible amount of $5250/year, and some much more. I would inquire if you are not sure.

unfortunately they don't :(

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Dear Summer

:(

What do you plan to gain from the degree?

What would your company gain from you getting the degree?

acheron

Diamond Member
May 27, 2008
40k is a lot of loans. I'd say 40k is kind of a lot for the total amount. How much are you paying up front that you aren't using loans for?

Dear Summer

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2008
Originally posted by: acheron
40k is a lot of loans. I'd say 40k is kind of a lot for the total amount. How much are you paying up front that you aren't using loans for?

40k is the total cost

If I pay out of my pocket, I can take less loans than this which I'm looking at

acheron

Diamond Member
May 27, 2008
Originally posted by: acheron

40k is the total cost

If I pay out of my pocket, I can take less loans than this which I'm looking at

Oh, ok. Yeah, that's the big advantage of going part time and working at the same time. If you're just going to take loans out for the whole thing you might as well go full time and get it over with quickly IMO.

Dear Summer

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2008
Originally posted by: Dumac

My company wouldn't gain anything, but with this degree, it will open more doors in the industry that I want to enter. However, I'm not sure how much salary increase it can attract. I also want to make up for my poor undergraduate grades by getting good grades if I decide to pursue higher education later on (phD, MBA, etc)

Zolty

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Dumac

My company wouldn't gain anything, but with this degree, it will open more doors in the industry that I want to enter. However, I'm not sure how much salary increase it can attract. I also want to make up for my poor undergraduate grades by getting good grades if I decide to pursue higher education later on (phD, MBA, etc)

I didn't realize an MBA is higher than an engineering master's degree.

Passions

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2000
That's why I'm taking my master's right now, to make up my poor undergrad gpa.

It will help me with getting into a MBA or law school, if I decide to pursue it.

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
This will be done part time while I work a full time job. I didn't get any kind of scholarship, just loans in my financial aid package. It will cost me about 40k in loans. Is this the normal/average amount? How much did your Master's degree cost you?

Perhaps save up until you have enough to pay for it yourself.

Nov 7, 2000
seem SO many companies have tuition reimbursement... i would just wait till i worked for one that did. i didnt see a dime from my company when i got my masters.

Status
Not open for further replies.